Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DEarth Missile Cruiser

rodglasrodglas331 Posts: 0Member
edited April 2011 in Work in Progress #1
This vessel represents my first foray into high (higher) poly modeling.

The ship is armed with 6 heavy lasers, 6 missile pods each with 9 missiles.
and a single spinal gaser.

Propulsion is a fission powered spinal "Warp drive" and four "impulse" drives aided by six reaction thusters on the missile ring.

The design is partly inspired by the Starfleet museum and Alnair's Imperial Prussian Assault Frigate. A small amount of BSG also made it through the design. Another inspiration was the Honor Harrington universe.
89135.jpg
89136.jpg
Post edited by rodglas on
Tagged:

• LockeFPLockeFP171 Posts: 0Member
    Pretty cool! Kinda overkill as the weapons go, but nifty anyway.
  • wminsingwminsing171 Posts: 0Member
    It looks good to me- any backstory for it?

-Will
  • universaltimuniversaltim0 Posts: 0Member
    LockeFP wrote: »

There is no such thing as overkill. Only "open fire" and "I need to reload".
    On topic, this is pretty cool! I like it!
  • rodglasrodglas331 Posts: 0Member
    LockeFP wrote: »

Overkill, really? I'm glad you like th design but now I feel I should justify the weapons. I did give some thought to keeping this ship away from "God Ship of DOOM" territory.:p

I haven't worked the scale out 100% but this isn't on overly small ship. Its probably around 180 meters (almost 600 feet). The ship is designed for long term deep space operation and patrol but I don't think its laser armament is out of control. 6 2 meter-ish (power not yet determined) lasers emiters, the actual lasers a buried within the hull and the beam is directed through the ship to the emitters.

The Graser is a big hunk of weapon that may be downgraded to "just" a big laser in the future but is emitter is only about 4 or 5 meters with some limited of axis fire capablity.

The missile armament is heavy but I didn't think 6 9 cell launchers was overkill. What might be overkill is I decided that these would be nuclear tipped MIRVs (multiple Independent Kill vehicle) with no less then 5 low-mid yeild nukes. The ship has 54 missiles aboard 2 1/2 times the number carried by the Ohio class Submarine. The Ohio is similiar in length but has less volume and doesn't carry its nuclear payload in a large missile rack outside the ship.
    I didn't have power most of yesterday so I couldn't post these.

I've added escape pods, 30 in total (15 top and bottom). The dark grey section is the primary crew area where most crew quarters and action/combat stations are located along with the command deck. Most of the rest of the ship would be vaccum even under normal conditions to cut down on total mass. Crew needing to work in vital areas would normally be wearing some kind of light enviromental suit.

Cargo/Crew hatches have been located port and starboard.

The orange tips on the reaction control thruster assemblys are refueling ports. Much of the ring and pylon structure holds the fuel for the thrusters much like the wing tanks of commercial and military aircraft. The "impulse" and "warp" drives are capable of steering the ship but don't provide much manueverablity.

I've also worked on the hull panels.

Rod
    89167.jpg89168.jpg89169.jpg
  • kborakkborak1 Posts: 0Member
    Im diggin it. And i can see the SFM ans BFG influence.
    wminsing wrote: »
    It looks good to me- any backstory for it?

-Will

Yes, I've been working that out a little bit.

It is a 3rd generation Earth "warp" capable craft operating from later 22nd century onward. In about 100 years from now gavity manipulating technology opens new doors in space travel especially propulsion.

By 2150 safe warp travel is available and the first exploration vessels are built. The 2150's also see the full on militarization of space.

By the 2160's the first Warp 3 (W3 = 100xlight on my scale) exploration ships are built.
    2070's Fission makes a comeback when a gravitationally enhanced version is designed allowing a greater power for mass ratio then Fusion drives. It eliminates the need to carry large fuel reserves and allows the ship longer periods between refueling.

2278 sees the first interstellar war fought by earth ending in a stalemate/cold war by 2181. The Missile Cruiser in this thread is commisioned near the end of the war.
    Designed te be capable of Warp 4 (1000x light) its the fastest design launched by humans. Its the first ship to mount the spinal weapon, carries the largest nuclear payload of any ship in history and is the top of the line in Earth war technology.

By 2195 when the Cold War goes hot once more the Missile Cruiser is the main line warship of the Earth fleet.

I'm still trying to decided on a class name for the ship. The leaders in my mind have been the Arizona Class, Dreadnought Class and Iroquois Class.

My Warp scale is similiar but different from the Trek scale. Each warp level is ten times faster the the previous so that W1 = 1c, W2 = 10c, W3 = 100c, W4 = 1000c and W5 = 10,000c.

Reaching W1 requires more then the total output of the ships reactor and so a capacitor is used to attain the extra charge. Maintaining warp speed once in requires far less power but gaining the next warp factor requires a major spike (it is this spike that defines the warp factor). W1 almost 90% of the ships total output including the capacitor to achieve but only a little over 60% of reactor output to maintain.
    W2 requires a smaller spike to acheive about 75% of total output and requires only about 50% of reactor output to maintain. Warp 2 is the most power efficient cruise speed.
    W4 matches the spike required for W1 but requires nearly the entire output of the reactors to maintain. A ship can push beyond W4 only if it wants to overtax its reactors
    and conpletely drain its capacitors. W5 is beyond the ships power generation capability and would require nearly 100% of ships total power plus capacitors to maintain. Beyond W6 (100,000) the power spike and maintainance power are nearly identical. It has also been theorized that W6 may not even be truely attainable as time dilliation and the full effects of relativity may begin to weigh in once again.