Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Simple LightWave Question

BrandenbergBrandenberg1668 CaliforniaPosts: 1,942Member
I was trying to send a mesh to a programmer for use in a game. I sent him the object file assuming that was all he needed (the mesh does not have UV mapping yet) and it came out white with no color.

I'm probably lazy and just need to read the manual but it is not clear to me how I include the color textures (not UV mapped textures) that I apply within the modeling / layout programs using the "Surface Editor" button. I thought they were part of the obj file. I am talking about the colors and textures one uses from the "Windows - Presets panel." Again, why aren't they with the obj file?
Post edited by Brandenberg on

• IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    it's because lightwave's format is LWO not OBJ

OBJ is purely geometry so no surface data will be saved with it, but it's possible to create an MTL file which can store the surface data seperately
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1668 CaliforniaPosts: 1,942Member
    Thanks so much IRML - I apologize for missing your post. It is hard to find stuff in this thread.

I may need to clarify: You're saying neither LWO or OBJ has surface data. With either, you would have to generate an MTL file for the surface data.

OR there is a typo, and you meant to say "LWO is purely geometry so no surface data will be saved with it..."
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    no LWO is lightwave's native file format so it saves everything fine, OBJ is just geometry

OBJ is a widely used format (you have the option to export it in most 3D software) so it's good for transferring geometry between different software, but it's almost never the native format for the main graphics programs because they need to save lots of extra data not just geometry

what I'm saying is if you really must use OBJ for this project then it may be possible for you to create an MTL file, which is a reference file that contains extra information like surfacing, otherwise save with LWO if you can
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1668 CaliforniaPosts: 1,942Member
    Awesome, thanks. I have seen the MTL out option in the export from LW.