Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMilSciFi anthology project

DonovichDonovich0 Posts: 0Member
edited April 2011 in Work in Progress #1
Helmet.png
This is a cover element from the upcoming Defending The Future series, book IV No Man's Land. The images was constructed and rendered in Ray Dream Studio 5.5 (curca 1994).
http://www.mcp-concepts.com/images/Helmet.png
Post edited by Donovich on
Tagged:

• PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    Nice helm. I like the style a lot.
    Is there a way for the clear visors to retract into the helmet, or are you just removing the layer?
    Having an option of this visor or that is very handy in the field when a situation changes. Rather than I left the house with this version so now I'm stuck with it.
  • LockeFPLockeFP171 Posts: 0Member
    Would be better to have it be similar to light-reactive glasses that people have today. When you're in bright enough light, the visor changes shades/reflectability.
  • TugarTugar171 Posts: 0Member
    The visors are relatively simple. In addition to light reactive as has been mentioned, there are lenses that can darken with electrical current. HUDS are small enough to be in motorcycle helmets now. Even in the 1960's the Apollo suits had several visors built into the helmet.
  • DonovichDonovich0 Posts: 0Member
    Due to time restrants (and the fact that it's being used as a book's cover art), all the extras will have to wait until I have free time. In the concept, the visor can pivot up between the dark gray casing and the black lining. As for having it mirrored, that's only for effect. Basically the visor contains the helmets "see-through display (STD or as the troops can it 'the clap')", which is why there is a pair of CCD cameras for when the shield is down. Once again, I had to highline the lens in the CCDs to make them more visable.
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    you should modernize the cameras and shrink them...
  • Knight26Knight26192 Posts: 838Member
    Planetes did something similar with its helmets, and the set of four cameras were more inset into the helmet to better protect them, give 3-D vision and back up cameras, or possibly other spectrum, they never really explain it.

http://danbooru.donmai.us/data/05f18f1fa84496cd1c1a14e6b52af4ee.jpg

That should give you an idea, also having those cameras that big on the sides makes them great big targets, or something to get snagged far too easily.
    Unfortunatly, the more realistic version, didn't go over well with the publisher, so this is the "Hollywood" version. I have plans to improve the design for the illistrations to an upcoming role-playing game manual. My background is in engineer/military technology and I could have spent months working on the design, but in the end, the project needs always win out. Hopefully, I'll post the cover image in just a few days.
    And here (just three hours before the deadline) is the finished cover.
    lgDTF4-NoMansLand.png
    http://www.defendingthefuture.com/books/lgDTF4-NoMansLand.png