Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DBachelor Pad

Dr LeeDr Lee2 Posts: 0Member
edited April 2011 in Work in Progress #1
Designed for a modelling challenge on a different 3D forum, this house/flat/pad will have a fully modelled open-plan Living-Dining-Sleeping-Kitchen area, with the bathroom area currently staying un-modelled and behind the closed door.

('28 feet by 40 feet (Roughly) the pad will have a modern feel to it... hopefully incorporating some sci-fi elements and whatnot...

bachelorpad1.png

smallhouse.png
88331.jpg
Post edited by Dr Lee on
Tagged:

• PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    Interesting start.
    Where about is the door to the WC going to be? I ask because the back and side wall you have now currently give the outside a regular shape. If you tack another room on the side somewhere it would look odd.
  • Dr LeeDr Lee2 Posts: 0Member
    the Bathroom door hole can be seen in the image in the first post, not the thread image... the bathroom is the walled off area just left of the main entrance space to the building.

Latest renders... added a Kitchen counter, Fridge, Wardrobe & bookcase to the pad...may fiddle about with the placement of the latter two items. The space between the Kitchen counter & the Wardrobe will have a small computer workstation and the angled windows will have a large flatscreen TV place by them...

bachelorpad2.png

bachelorpad3.png
  • PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    Arr OK Sorry about that. It makes sense now. I thought that area was going to be the kitchen area.
    There is an idea that the area between the Fridge, Stove, and bench top on a kitchen is the working triangle. IE it the area where you will be passing through the most.
    The same can be said of an apartment. The bed, Toilet, Kitchen, and seat for the TV are the four most used areas. It might be worth tacking this into account when working out where furniture should go.
    padmerge1.jpg

update - Added some internal camera's for rendering with the ceiling on...

1-Over view
    2-From the doorway
    3-above the computer workstation
    4-above the bed
    5-from the Kitchen

The placement of the sofa is where i want it, though the sofa itself will change before i'm done
  • HellsgateHellsgate0 Posts: 8Member
    Where's the washer and dryer going to go? Is this an apartment or condo? Plus, why not add a balcony (big enough for a small table and two or three folding chairs,) as everyone likes to eat on the deck on a nice summer night. Especially if there isn't any A/C or windows strategically placed to enable natural cross-breeze venting.

I love surfing houseplan sites/magazines. The designs I love the absolute best are "micro-cottages" and "converted barns".

The only thing I'd love to see (that don't seem to be a consideration,) are microcottages (with finished basements.) The designers seem to forget that even bachelors / bachelor-ettes need an extra bedroom when they get visitation with their kid(s), or general dry storage for camping gear or seasonal clothing, etc. or space for a pool table and a few loveseats/couches as designers head in the right direction but stop just short of realistic needs/expectations.
    I hadn't thought of a basement.... *Starts thinking* Thanks :D

This is currently a small condo... was thinking of adding a decked/paved area with a small pool beside it
    Hellsgate's comment about a basement got me thinking.... and i've put the pad through a bit of a re-design. The footprint is the same as before, but now with a basement. This will contain the Master Bedroom, Guest Bedroom, Bathroom and Utility room.

Upstairs, the space that had been the bedroom and bathroom is now the sofa area and the stairway down to the basement.

The living area, with & without the sofa, roof & posed Bipeds (Having a bit of an argument it seems)
    bachelorpad10.jpg

bachelorpad9.jpg

While doing some test renders for the staircase, i saw this... and liked it.
    thestairway.jpg
    Why not a spiral staircase that goes straight through the apartment to a loft bedroom platform above the livingroom, (etc.)? A spiral staircase maximizes useful space everywhere else and minimizes waste of livingspace that a normal opening for traditional stairs would take up.

Especially these days, we're all aware of the space crunch in a lot of urban areas, where vertical space is the next frontier. Rather than ~spread out~, people are building on narrower lots and re-concepting bachelor/bachlorette townhouses and renovating old school detached garages in places like East Vancouver to include studio apartments on the second level.

Ok, maybe it isn't the most fashionable option but still completely useful.

I'd add structural support columns which provide electrical, audio-visual and plumbing configuration options, too.

Keep in mind: things like murphy beds that fold up into a wall, latch-able pocket doors that slide invisibly into the walls rather than ones that pivot inward/outward on traditional hinges and shelving units built right into the walls themselves. Plus, if you're designing a true bachelor pad, keep the kitchen simple with a "breakfast bar" with stools that belly up to one of the counters, rather than including a full thanksgiving-hosting style dining room. Freeing up space for your washer/dryer and workstation/study.

I'd do away with including a pool in your bachelor pad design entirely and stick with the apartment itself.

Or, if you're really super-serious about a 2011 era bachelor pad's latest generation of bells-and-whistles, add a one-car (attached?, semi-attached?) garage or modest-sized shed with a roof garden/deck on top of it with hot-tub or small 1-person wave machine "pool".
    I'm considering just adding a decking area with a Hot tub. A garage is something i'm considering as well...

I'm thinking of adding a screen of some sorts behind the big sofa... plus with the addition of a 2nd counter in the kitchen (See the internal render) i can add a column to the end of the counter...

the basement will have a Utility room plus a Study along with the master & Guest bedrooms... though i may have the guest bedroom & the study as one room with a drop down bed...

in adding the 2nd counter to the kitchen i've had to sacrifice one of the windows... i've also added a dishwasher and a blocked out Cooker Hodtop onto the counter

bachelorpad15.jpg

For the exterior, i'm adding a few 'Green tech' items... things like Solar Panels to the roof and a Wind Turbine...

bachelorpad14.jpg
  • sojournersojourner0 Posts: 0Member
    So what are the contest rules pertaining to the design? When does it stop being a "bachelor pad"?
    the brief was to create a 3D building with at least one interior scene....(One of the other designs being done for the challenge is a Fire house)

Erm, no idea... it's kinda evolved since i first started, but it's still meant to be a single guy's place...

Since updating, i've added a small single vehicle garage outbuilding to sit on the pad's land plot.... will get a render up later today
    Updates? Bump.
    d'oh! ...

the challenge ended a week or so ago... the pad was 'finished' for the challenge, but as i had to rush at the end, there's a lot i wanna go back and fix up...

bachelorpadfinal.jpg

for the back yard, i've added a basic BBQ along with a Hot tub with extending shade and a couple of loungers...

inside, I added some quick chairs to the table along with some spotlights in the ceiling. I also added a short piece of street outside along with a quick mock up of a wind turbine and some solar panels....

as i kinda spent a few days straight on this, it's been pushed to the backburner for a bit... i will get back to this soon though
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    Looks amazing. What's the rent on that place? :)
    Aï¿¡1k a month... :P
  • Knowles2Knowles2171 Posts: 0Member
    Nice bachelor pad.