Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DCaptain's Yacht 3.0

MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
edited August 2011 in Work in Progress #1
After this disaster in '06 or '07
yqwnr.jpg

And this slightly better version in '08
l395i.jpg

I figure it's time I have another go :)
This time around with some more concept drawings from Mr Eaves, which I might take some more inspiration from. Not that there are many differences.

o4Z24.jpg

I'm also thinking about trimming that slightly fat ass just to give it some extra sleekness...all those in favor say yay?

tjN7N.jpg

And just in case you were getting bored of clay(well sorta) renders:
a5exk.jpg
88142.png
Post edited by Melak on
Tagged:

• VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    I'm always in favor of dieting!!! (thou don't get rid of some curves!)

Good Luck this time! and looking good!
  • Dr LeeDr Lee2 Posts: 0Member
    never give up, never surrender eh?

as only a casual Trek fan i'm not that versed in what the Captain's Yacht is, or how accurate it is.... but it looks good
  • dwldwl0 Posts: 0Member
    'yay' for extra sleekness!
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    neat work, man. Really cool.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1119 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,572Member
    Forget the yacht... I LOVE your avatar! :D
  • ChanurChanur191 53.33° N / 10.00° EPosts: 305Member
    Man, what a difference :)
    She has some beautiful, elegant lines. More please :)
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Looking nice so far ... but I think the third revision will be even better :D
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member

As for accuracy, I threw that out the window a while ago. I can either make it accurate, or I can make it pretty :p
    I'm making some changes here and there, nothing that would make it look much different on a glance (I hope) though.

Small update, think I have most of the messy parts sorted out now.

mEYVH.jpg
    Sooo..mostly been lazy, but I am messing around a lot with the interior space and considering some changes.
    6dh8V.png
    6A4iy.png
    So we all know the movie cockpit doesn't actually relate, trying to adapt it to the shape of the ship results in a *huge* room (see IRML's model).
    This ship is 50% longer than the typical runabout, but that's no reason to waste a third of the space with the cockpit in my eyes.

My proposed smaller one still fits 4 people easily (I don't know why they would need to be there though).
    The green boxes are just me measruing what kind of usable space is available to the sides of the corridor; as it is on the left side there would at least be an 8x3m large area with a ceiling height of 2m, and another 1-2m towards the slope (could still put a bed or couch or whatever there I suppose).

The corridors between these rooms and the cockpit aren't really necessary, but I was considering putting another exit at the ends of those. While I'm at it, I would also add windows to the rooms, continuing the cockpit windows, which I have shortened somewhat.

This should be enough room to split into several quarters and a "public" room, and the cargo area in the back doesn't really need to be as large (or symmetrical) so there is more space that could be used still.

I have yet to figure out where and how to place access to the lower deck (there is actually room for one at the scale I'm going with, which is taken off of Eaves' sketches).
    I'm thinking a ladder and a hole in the floor would be the best approach, since the smaller floor of the lower deck doesn't really lend itself to any kind of stairs or ramps.
    Considering how much internal volume shuttles and runabouts have, the machinery shouldn't take up the entire space, maybe I can even put a ramp or lift or something there to allow easy loading/unloading of cargo when landed.

Few pictures, lots of me ramblings, bear with me please :P
    If you have any ideas or suggestions, they are welcome :)
  • fluxfirefluxfire181 Posts: 604Member
    Hum... so are you thinking of putting a lower entrance.... could be interesting.... do you have a mock up to show this?
    Someone suggested a ramp below the cockpit to me, that could actually work, since that space isn't very useful due to the slope of the hull.
    As for the doors next to the cockpit, I was thinking something like this, only less crappy:

9Z0xd.png
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Looks a bit weird to me :D I think sliding doors or something like that would be better on this design. Will be looking forward to seeing more though ! :thumb:
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    yeah have the side door split in two the top peice rises like u have it and the bottom peice slides down and makes a ramp if you get what i mean
    I've thought about doing a door like that but it won't work, 1st I would need the entire door since the floor is 2m off the ground, the entire outer surface of the door would have to be covered in steps since the angle is quite steep, and 2nd the door is curved in quite a few directions not making it an ideal ramp.

The windows I was thinking about adding could be something along the lines of this (yes that's a crappy render defiled with pencil and then photographed...sue me :P)
    DDz4Q.jpg

I could also make the door swing to the side, like an airplane's, or slide to the side like on a train. Regardless of the way it opens, this is one idea I had for storing the ramp/stairs:
    E6Q5H.png
    2n0NA.png

However if I want to make this thing actually seaworthy just for giggles(its a yacht, what the hell :p), I'd want to keep the exits on the top half of the ship. A collapsed ladder could be stored right behind the door, and would work for a land and a water landing as well.
  • Odyssey SlipwaysOdyssey Slipways0 Posts: 0Member
    what's in the space below the current door? if there's nothing there, why not slant the hallway down maybe a meter, lowing the entire door. have the upper door half lift up, the lower half drop down and rest upon a ram that slides out from the hull to the ground?

or, drop the door down 1m, but make the outside of the hull drop down as the ramp and have a sliding door behind it? the ramp could be 2 or parts, one with-in the other (ST FC IIRC similar to the Vulcan ship).

i'd also add another door at the inner end of the hall way