Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMy first spaceship

Cata_bRcCata_bRc0 Posts: 0Member
edited February 2011 in Work in Progress #1
First of all I want to say hello to all of you.
My name is Catalin Balan and I am from Romania.
I am new to this forum and new to 3D.
I will post in this thread my work to my first 3D spaceship.
I will wait your advices.
Let's go.
(The pilot and front landing gear are not made by me. I put them there to have an image about how the spaceship will look like)

P.S. sorry because my english is not so good.
87733.jpg
87734.jpg
87735.jpg
87736.jpg
Post edited by Cata_bRc on
Tagged:

• StarshipStarship466 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,977Member
    Welcome aboard!
    First wip? She looks vey good! :)
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Welcome aboard. Reminds me a bit to a ix of the Z-95 Headhunter and the Snowspeeder from Star Wars.

Nice work so far.
  • Cata_bRcCata_bRc0 Posts: 0Member
    Thank you very much. This is my first good object in Maya. I've made this spaceship to learn more about modelling in Maya. Sorry about the quality of the pictures but I don't know rendering yet and the pictures are made with print screen :D
    In general I am inspired by Star Wars
    For the landing gear I was inspired by outlander landing gear also
    Thank you guys for your nice words
  • HaturodHaturod0 Posts: 0Member
    Looks good so far!!! Especially clean modelling on the landing gear!
    Haturod wrote: »
    Looks good so far!!! Especially clean modelling on the landing gear!

This is because first I've made the general shape of the spaceship. Now I will make the details. First I started with landing gear. Tonight I will finish the front landing gear. I hope you will like it also
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Especially the landing gear is quite intrigiung in detail, nice job...
    Aresius wrote: »
    Especially the landing gear is quite intrigiung in detail, nice job...

Ok, thak you very much.
  • Capt DaveCapt Dave0 Posts: 0Member
    That is one fine looking space fighter.
    Thanks
    Also reminds me a bit of the old Starcon TV series... not sure what the name of the series was though :)
    First because I want to improve my english skills please tell me when I write something wrong
    Second I want to tell you how I end up with this shape on my spaceship

At the begining I wanted to make a spacheship but I didn't know what spaceship to make so I search on the internet and I found the fractalsponge's spaceships here at SFM :)

And I started to make my own spaceship
    87757.png87758.png
    1.png 319.5K
    2.png 387.2K
    But after that I didn't like it so much it was to simple to much simple edges it wasn't how I wanted it and I started to make smooth shapes complicated but good looking shapes. And that way I reached the basic shape I am working with wright now. Tonight I will post the front landing gear. I am sorry but I don't have much time, only one or 2 hours per day :( plus the week-end
    87759.png87760.png
  • jedi44jedi440 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice concepts,welcome aboard the Meshes,look forward to more,thanks for your posts.
    Thanks jedi.

I have a question for you guys.
    How do you think I shall make the top of the spaceship:
    1,2 or 3?
    Thanks for all your help
    87769.png
    Update front landing gear, not in final shape but it is a start
    87772.png87773.png
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    2 but how do they get in to the ship?
    colbmista wrote: »
    2 but how do they get in to the ship?

Thanks for the advice. I've tried to make a drawing to show you how they get in the ship. I hope you will understand because I'm not so good at drawing :)). I have much work to do on this ship. It's far from the end.
    87776.png
  • PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    OK because you asked us to help with your English I noticed you wrote "wright" in one of your posts, it should be just "right". Not to be confused with write which sounds the same but has a different meaning.

Second thing I want to say is, I'm impressed with anyone who can manage a second language. So please don't feel I pointed out the typo just to be a smart ass. I honestly think you are doing very well.

Third thing. As a first model, this is a very good start. You are already displaying a lot of good habits. You are clearly thinking about how things work, and they way you want them to look. These are important aspects of modeling, because they help you make sure things like spaceships have a visual logic to them, which other people will be looking for. Also you seem to be happy to work on a project just to learn your software, and how is works. This is also an important aspect, because your software is your tools.

My only advice is take your time and don't try and learn it all in one day. Read Tutorials to learn about how tools and functions work.
    Sometimes it's also handy to just start with a basic cube and see what different tools do to it.

Other than that I think you'll be a very skilled modeler in no time.
    Thank you very much Pagrin. You are right I didn't wrote that corectly. In the future tell me again please if I will not say something right because this will help me a lot. Indeed I think a lot about how all the thing of my spaceship will work because at the end I want to have a clean and functionally ship. I work nine hours/day (my job) and in that time I can watch a tutorial or something. Sadly I work in 3D only when I reach home. I will try in the future also to follow your advices. I hope one day I will work as a 3D modeller because I like this very much.
  • StarshipStarship466 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,977Member
    My vote is for the option "2", but I would add a wing on top of the secondary cockpit. ;)
    Starship wrote: »
    My vote is for the option "2", but I would add a wing on top of the secondary cockpit. ;)

I don't understand where should I add that wing. Can you make a simple sketch please?
    Thank you very much
    Here we go then :)
    Cata_bRc wrote: »
    You are right I didn't wrote that corectly.

You don't have to write "wrote" in this case, you said you did something in the past, which is write some thing :) So you can just use: You are right I didn't write that correctly.

Now with the english lesson out of the way, what I'm doing lately is just pick up an object, may it be a USB stick, coffee mug, cell phone or just about anything I can get my hands on and study it closely, try and see the primitive forms it is made of and then try to recreate it in 3d. If I can remake anything I look at, I can recreate the image inside my head :) in theory :)
    :)) There will be more mistakes sorry. Im very glad and grateful because you all help me.
    I have some experience with modelling. I saw hours and hours of tutorials. I think I didn't expressed correctly. This spaceship is not the very first object in Maya. I have done some already. This is the first object that I want to finish it, first object where I've made and I will make the details and that I am glad with. The others object, I didn't like them so much and they are not finished.
    You can see them at http://www.visualart.ro/forum/showthread.php?t=20291 There is one more spaceship but I don't like it at all that is way I told you this is my first spaceship, the others objects are only exercices :))

Haturod, tell me if you want we will make another thread where we will have a competition or something like this every week or every 2-3 weeks. You or I or somebody else will tell us what simple object to do ... this week a mobile phone or something like that. What do you say? It will be interesting.
  • pmj61lwpmj61lw171 Posts: 0Member
    "(I have some experience with modelling.)"
  • NightShadowNightShadow10 Posts: 0Member
    English lesson (from a published author): I shall rephrase the sentence structure of your post so that it will make a little more sense when people read it and you will hopefully be able to see how it all works...

"I'm sorry that there will be more mistakes. I'm very glad and grateful for the help that everyone is giving me. I do have some modeling experience. I've spent hours reading tutorials, maybe I didn't express that correctly. This ship is not my first project in Maya. I've already done some before this. But this IS the first mesh that I want to finish, the first detailed project that I'm happy with. The other ones I did in the past weren't to my liking and I never finished them. You can see those at (insert URL here). At that site you'll see another ship project that I didn't like there, which is why I told you that this is my first one- we can call that early stuff my "educational" exercises."

And, regarding the ship design, it's not really the style that I enjoy but your skill is definitely evident! Keep working on it and keep learning!
    Thanks.
    Cata_bRc wrote: »
    Haturod, tell me if you want we will make another thread where we will have a competition or something like this every week or every 2-3 weeks. You or I or somebody else will tell us what simple object to do ... this week a mobile phone or something like that. What do you say? It will be interesting.

That could be fun :) We can try that sometime :)

Ohh and don't worry about English to much it's allready good enough to know what your saying in most cases, the rest will come with practice :) I'm Dutch, but hey, I've been talking english for ages and now I am pretty good with it for a foreigner :) Just need to watch my typo's :P
  • FoehammerFoehammer0 Posts: 0Member
    Coming from someone who has been speaking two languages for the past 10 years; you are definitely on the right track. English is a very hard language to learn, I've heard one of the hardest to learn, due to all the exceptions/rules and it's grammar. When it comes down to it, never give up because with every mistake you make, the closer you get to becoming fluent! (:

Anyways, your WIPs look very good to me and coming from a fellow Maya user, you really do seem like you know what you're doing already.
    I'm guessing you're modeling with polygons? Mind if you post a screen shot of your mesh, or better yet post a wire frame render?

Keep up the hard work, looks great.
    Thank you for your support.

Haturod when you want to try it just tell me.

Foehammer I am modelling with polygons. Tonight (in 11 hours) I will reach home and I will put a wire frame of my mesh.
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    what about getting in to the back cokpit? if u go with 2