Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DNon-Federation Trek Ships in Blender, a Pirate and a Freighter

Polaris 004Polaris 004199 Posts: 752Member
edited February 2011 in Work in Progress #1
Okay, I am working up to creating a simple battle animation, and for the scenario I had in my head, I needed an opponent ship class and a freighter for my Starship(s) to rescue. I wasn't looking forward to creating them, as time spent working on them cannot be used to create another in the long list of Federation Starships I hope to someday build.

Nonetheless, I set into the task and this is what I have going so far.

Fighter3.jpg

Fighter2.jpg

Fighter1.jpg

Fighter4.jpg

I won't win any points for originality on this one. Design wise it's more or less a BOP with some D7 elements on the bottom and a less interesting "head" and neck. But as I am only creating it in order to blow it up, I don't think it needs to be any more special than that. The wings are fixed and do not swivel. I envision this as your basic pirate strike vessel, created from old cast-off Klingon and Romulan Tech, and probably used by many races and nations.

Okay, and here's what I have for my freighter so far:

Freighter1.jpg

Freighter3.jpg

Freighter2.jpg

Again, just enough creativity to suffice. I literally threw this together in a few hours last night. Like the priate vessel, it still needs detailing, but I think the overall shapes are there. It's basically modular containers with ship-parts stuck to it. Those ship parts can maneuver by thrusters and tractor beams to create a small tug-like vessel. That vessel can then break apart and attach itself to a train of containers and become a freighter like we see here. Notice that the Nacelles are very much alike. I will differentiate them a bit more, but both vessels are made by the same race and shipbuilding companies, and so they will naturally resemble each other.

So there they are, my torpedo fodder for my next animation. Please feel free to comment, as there is plenty of time for me to incorporate suggestions on the design of these ships.
87697.jpg
Post edited by Polaris 004 on
Tagged:

• JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    I know that the shapes you've created for the freight boxes are more visually interesting than a bunch of rectangles, but they're less effective for hauling freight. I'd seriously just make a bunch of rectangular boxes with some sort of pressure doors to get TFEs in and out of them.
  • Capt DaveCapt Dave0 Posts: 0Member
    I have to agree and disagree with you jenny, He had three boxes for hauling cargo, with the extra space on the outside of the cargo containers containing the ships engineering, life support, fuel systems, etc.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Hm. I like the marauder ship, looks pretty much outdated and kitbashed (Klingon wings, Klingon/Roluman nacelles, even different rests and so forth), but the freighter... Right now, it seems they're both of the same race, particilarly due to the colour and the same nacelles.
  • Polaris 004Polaris 004199 Posts: 752Member
    Aresius wrote: »
    Hm. I like the marauder ship, looks pretty much outdated and kitbashed (Klingon wings, Klingon/Roluman nacelles, even different rests and so forth), but the freighter... Right now, it seems they're both of the same race, particilarly due to the colour and the same nacelles.

That's actually okay (you'll see why in the animation.) They actually are made by the same race, and even the same Ship construction company, so they are naturally going to resemble each other. I am going to change up the nacelles a bit, but you will still see the resemblance.
    I have to agree and disagree with you jenny, He had three boxes for hauling cargo, with the extra space on the outside of the cargo containers containing the ships engineering, life support, fuel systems, etc

Oh. I didn't even think about engineering, life support, fuel systems, etc" but yeah, sure, that could go in the trapezoidal structures. I doubt you would need ALL that volume for that stuff, but maybe some of them?

But yeah, the cargo containers are not just the trapazoidal structures, but also the big cube that the Trapazoids are centered around. So a single cargo Segment would look like this:

Freighter5.jpg

More or less a rectangle.
  • HellsgateHellsgate0 Posts: 8Member
    Love the Pirate vessel. How many decks? Length/width/height?
  • Polaris 004Polaris 004199 Posts: 752Member
    Hellsgate wrote: »
    Love the Pirate vessel. How many decks? Length/width/height?

Well, I'm thinking about BOP size. (original size, not the larger TNG size.) A length of about 113 Meters, 30 M height and a bridge 15 meters across in the middle (it's a trapazoid) and 4.5 meters high. That would make those portholes 1 meter in diameter, which would seem about right for a crew of galactic desperadoes.

Pircomp1.jpg

Pircomp3.jpg

Pircomp2.jpg

Now of course I have a great deal of latitude here, I could make them somewhat bigger, if not too much smaller. But I want them to be little longboats full of desperate raiders. These guys aren't even Vikings, they are more like the barbarians who used to capture boats and sail around sacking various coastal cities in Rome for fun, long before the invention of Monday Night Football.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    lol, good call with the Football. :lol:
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    I like the pirate ship thingy, but I think the head could be more intricate.