Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DLocust (Babylon 5 "Warlock")

FoehammerFoehammer0 Posts: 0Member
edited February 2011 in Work in Progress #1
Trying to get back into modeling after a year or two and so far this is the first thing I've started since opening up Maya, which I'm brand new to.

This is basically my own take at a Destroyer, being heavily influenced from the Babylon 5 universe.

So far it's just the block out (with the main upper hull 95% done) and since I haven't figured out yet where I want to put the engines, how big they'll be or how many it'll have, there's just gonna be a big cube sitting there until I do.

I don't plan on texturing this; I simply just want to get a feel for Maya's modeling tools and to get a feel for what kind of Work flow I'm gonna need to grow into.

CnC (if it's constructive, I'll take whatever you can dish out) please!

EDIT: Btw, the "antennae" on the nose of the ship is just a placeholder, downloaded from Ozylot's Greeble Pack V1
87686.jpg
Post edited by Foehammer on
Tagged:

• BrianSzepBrianSzep187 Posts: 115Member
    Looks like a good start. We need more B5 stuff on here :)

-Brian
  • FoehammerFoehammer0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks, I'm just trying to take things slow, practice poly modeling and just overall make a clean mesh, get in the habit early.

I have a question though - how can I make hull plating in Maya? I read a tut on this board explaining that extruding geometry from an object creates a very jagged look and that you should cut new geometry (If it's going to be a high-poly model) into the pre-existing geometry, which I can't find a tool that is able to do that in Maya..

If anyones wondering, the plating on the upper hull of the ship is in fact just extruded/scaled poly's which is the only technique I know of in Maya.

Any help appreciated
  • Major DiarrhiaMajor Diarrhia331 Posts: 0Member
    I would like to see it with one engine.
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    well, there are a few tools to cut polys. all under edit mesh menu, the Split polygon tool lets you make precise cuts from one edge to another, the insert edge loop is usefull for making a long lines. and the Cut faces tool I find is the most helpfull in that you cut a line thru the whole selected object. (really helpfull when split poly or insert edge isnt working for one reason or another. ) and after you cut, you can select edge loop tool to clean up what your not using.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/valkyrie013/MayaTutorials#
    couple of tutorials that you might find usefull.

http://www.madfishway.rr.nu/
    tutorial for max, but usefull

other than that, Me, and Tobias use Maya, so if you have any other questions we'll try to find the answers! :)
    I would like to see it with one engine.
    I'll see what I can do, I was already thinking I'd include a single engine variant of the model when I was done modeling it so not to worry.
    well, there are a few tools to cut polys. all under edit mesh menu, the Split polygon tool lets you make precise cuts from one edge to another, the insert edge loop is usefull for making a long lines. and the Cut faces tool I find is the most helpfull in that you cut a line thru the whole selected object. (really helpfull when split poly or insert edge isnt working for one reason or another. ) and after you cut, you can select edge loop tool to clean up what your not using.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/valkyrie013/MayaTutorials#
    couple of tutorials that you might find usefull.

http://www.madfishway.rr.nu/
    tutorial for max, but usefull

other than that, Me, and Tobias use Maya, so if you have any other questions we'll try to find the answers! :)
    I already know about those cutting tools, but I was curious if there was a tool in Maya that was similar to Max's that would allow me to make free hand cuts on faces, without having to end at an edge. I attached a photo to demonstrate what I'm talking about. I've circled in black the cuts in the face that I'd like to reproduce in Maya, without having to use Split Face tool or Cut Poly's, forcing me to start and end on different edges, as shown as red edges I drew in.

And your help is much appreciated, along with the link to the Maya tutorial. If I have any questions I'll be sure to send one of you guys a PM
    87701.JPG
    WTF.JPG 102.9K
    Just spent about over two hours finalizing the shape, then Maya crashed. >.<

Here's what I came up with after about 45 minutes, cause now I'm off to catch some sleep, I just wanted to make a quick update.
    87708.JPG
    Cage.JPG 128.4K
  • StarshipStarship466 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,977Member
    ItA’s a good start.
    Are you the author of the original Warlock, built years ago?
    This is my first go at a B5 model let alone the Warlock so no that wasn't me. I'll try and make this model as good as the original was though :thumb:
  • metamothmetamoth232 Posts: 21Member
    I was using the warlock to learn the new version of blender, I found this while searching for refernce images it a link to TIm Earls blog (the guy who designed it) and ihas some really cool plans and renders of the original model. Hope it helps

http://web.me.com/coventrycat/Site/Blog/Entries/2009/5/18_The_Warlock.html

This is how far I got
    warlock11.png

closeup.png
  • BrianSzepBrianSzep187 Posts: 115Member
    Nice work metamoth. I plan on building one myself after I finish the ship that I built to learn Blender 2.5 also.

On a side note. You really should start your own thread. ;)

-Brian