Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DV'ger Mesh

KirtemorKirtemor417 Posts: 99Member
edited March 2011 in Work in Progress #1
I am trying to creat a decent V'ger Starship mesh. A pic is included of my progress thus far. Tell me what you think.
87655.JPG
87656.JPG
Post edited by Kirtemor on
Tagged:

• oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    You got the shape of the hull right, but what the heck is going on with the texture?
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
  • KirtemorKirtemor417 Posts: 99Member
    Here is a .rar file of the mesh in different formats and a .rar file of the textures I used. Another pic is included for more detailof the total mesh
    87659.jpg
    Not enough good references. even the directors cut of the movie didn't help very much. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    the thing with v'ger is you don't really want to be building the whole thing, it was never built like that originally

the scene where you see all of it in the directors cut is a bit lame - TV quality effects, and a bad impression of v'ger's size, it just makes v'ger very underwhelming

what I would do is only use that to give you an idea of where the pieces are in relation to each other, then build it and render it the way it was originally in the movie, only then can you really recreate v'ger, rather than something that looks like it's from B5

can't help you with refs sorry, but I think I saw shots of the v'ger model under construction, so maybe you could look for those, or maybe someone knows what I'm talking about and can post them
    Thanks. I wanted to build a model that I could do both with. Hopefully I can find more reference material for textures.
  • LockeFPLockeFP171 Posts: 0Member
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you creating this for Bridge Commander?
    I was making it for ganeral rendering use. There is already one for bridge commander.
  • Mr. WildeMr. Wilde197 Posts: 121Member
    If you can't find good references for textures and details, then I suggest cross-referencing with similar models from other movies to fill in the blanks. Alien and Independence Day come to mind.

And here are a few further references for V'Ger, in case you don't have them already:
    http://www.startrekpropauthority.com/2010/01/star-trek-tmp-vger-spock-mindmeld-model.html
    http://startrek.propworx.com/2010/07/12/behold-the-mighty-vger/
    good ideas, thanks
  • Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
    A somewhat okay ortho...
    87665.jpg
    vger.jpg 481.3K
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • WillDeckerWillDecker331 Posts: 0Member
    I have references to V'ger. Some of the stuff ranges from images shown in the TMP movie adaptation comic, actual pic of the model, design stuff from some of the books. (I gave the creator of the Bridge Commander model some of this stuff) and if I could be of assistance please let me know.
    Thanks. Used it for the model.
    I would be very appreciuative of the help. Do you need my email?
    Just PM with your EM and I will send it to you right away.
    WillDecker... THe help would be appreciated. I want to make the mesh better.
  • StarshipStarship466 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,977Member
    Never saw the VA’ger this way. YouA’re doing a good work. ;)
  • BuckaroohawkBuckaroohawk2 Posts: 0Member
    Never thought anyone would be crazy enough to attempt a build of this beast (except for the crew at Foundation for the Director's Cut of TMP, that is)! :D I don't think there's any way to represent the true level of detail that went into the physical V'ger model. It's just too massive and clear references are hard to come by. I seem to recall seeing a photo of John Dykstra standing next to the model. I don't think it would be much help when it comes to texturing your model, but I'll look through my photo files to see if I can find it.

My suggestion for the textures would be to take a more organic approach. Yes, V'ger was a machine, but so many of the details have a flowing, curved, organic feel to them. Perhaps a texture that looked like skin stretched over its hull might work better. It would also have to be an extremely clear, hi-res texture map that could be tiled seamlessly, and you'd have to tile it many times over. V'ger was so big that the details on its hull aren't noticeable until you got right on top of it. Think of it like looking at a skyscraper from 1000 yards away; it's color is uniform and details are impossible to spot. As you move closer by, say, half of each distance until you're standing next to it, more and more detail comes into view.

I've downloaded your model and textures. If you don't mind I'll play with it a bit to see what I can come up with. Should I happen upon a potential solution I'll post some images here. In the meantime, please don't stop working on this. It's an ambitious project, a good test of your skills (and patience). Keep us posted!
  • wjasperswjaspers332 Posts: 0Member
    I did this model years back, but sure would like to see a pic of the real model they used.
  • stfanboystfanboy67 Posts: 388Member
    Its about someone did something on v'ger on here that I have seen. Would love to see a bow view of it.
    [email protected]I am really happy to hear that. I need to get better programs, as the ones i am working with don't allow for high poly models. It was all I could do to get the model small enough to work with in the Program I have (DoGA Series L-3 and Metasequoia). Would love to see the results of the tweeks.
    v__ger_rear_view_by_steve_burg-d2y7zu6.jpg
    I stumbled across this looking for stuff on V'ger. I don't know if this could help either. This is an actual rendering of the model used onThe Director's Cut

v__ger_texture_detail_by_steve_burg-d2y806b.jpg
    The Second Picture is also from the CG Model. The artist who did these worked on edit and says he will try to show other renders of V'ger

Here is a link to the artist Steve Burg
    87726.jpg87731.jpg
    Check my album here in scifi-meshes. I haven't figured out how to post pics in messages yet.
  • wjasperswjaspers332 Posts: 0Member
    WillDecker wrote: »
    This is an actual rendering of the model used onThe Director's Cut

Nice picture, can really use it, thanks.
    I am currently working on an update to the V'ger Model. With the help of many of you, I have been able to get it far closer to the mesh that was used in the Director's Cut Of ST: TMP than the first attempt. I don't think I did a half bad job considering the year old programs I have to use, lol.

here are the shots of the model... i have included a render of the original model for comparison...

thanks.
    88028.JPG88029.JPG88030.JPG88031.JPG
  • stfanboystfanboy67 Posts: 388Member
    Kirtemor I love it. The Model is almost dead on but the textures make it look tiny. Great job keep it up. :thumb:
    Awesome! :)
    http://www.lisamorton.com/sfx.html This woman also did some work on the interior of V'ger in 78. It might also give you some help with the textures
    Almost done... 98% complete. The website shows some interesting details... not sure how much I can gain from it. but thank you anyway.

New pics showing progress.
    88136.JPG88137.JPG88138.JPG88139.JPG
    Here are pics of the finished mesh. I am going to try and get it posted here. It will also be posted on www.trekmeshes.ch and In the resource area of Foundation 3D.
    88308.JPG88309.JPG88310.JPG88311.JPG
  • BuckaroohawkBuckaroohawk2 Posts: 0Member
    This is looking great, but I'm still not sold on the texture of the main hull. V'ger was gigantic, so from the distance in your images its hull would look nearly smooth. Have you tried tiling the material map a bit more and reducing the "Bump" settings?