Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D(WIP) new to sci-fi meshes, plz comment my first modelling exersises, thx all

XeranosXeranos0 Posts: 0Member
edited February 2011 in Work in Progress #1
Hi All,

my name is Stefan and I am using Blender (at work, because it is portable) mostly to find some relaxation from my other work to do (im not in the 3D graphix business). So I have about one hour every day. I started out doing some concepts for Sci Fi but sometimes I struggle with Ideas and techniques to get things looking right. Overall, as a beginner, it is sometimes a bit frustrating to see the perfect models of fractalsponge :thumb: or other artists (including all the stuff presented in this forums: RESPECT to you all :p ) or the Hard Surface Modelling done with Max.

As I am limited to use Blender (wich I prefer over Max in terms of conceptual work and organic models) I really want you to help me out with
- sharing ideas
- sharing techniques
- sharing your critics

Thank you very much
Xeranos

All Max users are welcome as well as I really like Max as it is very powerfull... unfortunately its expensive and I cant use it at work.

Fractalsponge, if you read this... I slute to you! (I like Star-Wars, although I dont want to mess around in that universe by myself ^^)

Attached is a light Transport I want to redo for most of it to introduce some hard surface and greeble (make it less blocky and more realisic)

Thanks for all that want to participate

transportconcept1.th.png
transportconcept.th.png
87770.jpg
Post edited by Xeranos on
Tagged:

• Dr LeeDr Lee2 Posts: 0Member
    I like the shape....i also like how you've off set the bridge, nice touch.
  • HundredHundred268 Posts: 1,021Member
    I like it. I like it a lot. Keep it on bring'n it. :thumb:
  • KhayKhay0 Posts: 0Member
    The shape is really, really nice. The way the hyperdrive module is fixed to the hull looks flimsy to me, but i guess it's still a WIP.
    Also, I have to admit i'm kinda obsessed with turrets arc coverage, i'm pretty sure your crew would feel relieved if they had some turret below too ^^
    Looks great so far.
  • meugen06meugen06334 Posts: 5Member
    Very interesting for a new blender lerner.
  • HaturodHaturod0 Posts: 0Member
    nice start mate, keep it up :)
  • XeranosXeranos0 Posts: 0Member
    thank you for your nice replys, now to the critics ^^

@Dr Lee: I try to keep the bridge that way, although Im still looking for a better transition into the support-frame superstructure. The concept is meant to reflect a modular design so the bridge is considered as a "module".

The setting of the scene is roughly a post-war scenario where the main factions used up most recources to engage each other in endless battles with super-modern but expansive fleets of hge ships. What remains in at the rim of the habitated worlds are usually the small support units that once were build in great numbers. Those ships are now used for all kinds of business. From peacefull traders to smugglers or even "pirates". Ships are not supposed to look fancy and therefore expansive rather than something practical.

@Khay: yes, I only did what was to be seem from top/front view angles in the past. That is one of the major reasons for the overhaule of the ship. Same is true for the missing turret. Tbh i still have not decided whether to put the turrets a bit offset to the centerline to underline the assymetrie of the bridge. The connection to the hyperdrive is planned to be bracket like. Maybe I can get some more pictures online tomorrow.

@meugen: Well, I was playing around with blender for the last couple of month. (Staring at 2.46 with looooong break in between) but due to time contrains I was not able to do more than just learning some basics (mech and organical modelling). I tried a face, a body and a frigate concept. All of them not finished and not worth showing atm.

Thx, Stefan
  • AlnairAlnair181 Posts: 255Member
    That's a cool looking idea for a "freighter"! I don't think that you will encounter any serious limitations with blender as a beginner. Blender provides you with with the necessary tools. You can easily transfer basic modeling and texturing techniques to your current work. I have been working with Softimage for at least 5 years but I'm still watching Blender closely. For an OSS it's powerful and the current 2.5x branch has a more userfriendly UI concept than the previous versions.
    The first picture shows my basic concept of the support frame and the flimsy attachment that is connecting the hyperdrive module. You can see a scetch of the prime plating there and a placeholder of the backup thruster in case you have to get rid of your hyperdrive system

The second is just a variation of my original concept (middle). I moved the manovering thruster blocks a bit aft and gave the container version 6m more with (left). The space marines / smugglers version has a permanent cargo bay module added with a kind of a front door to move cargo in and out (right).

transportconceptwithmod.th.png

supportframeconcept.th.png

I wonder why the imageshack code refuses to open the big size of the pictures and instead only links to the thumbnails. well I guess you know that you only have to edit the adress to get rid of the .tn

thx, Stefan
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    Xeranos wrote: »
    I wonder why the imageshack code refuses to open the big size of the pictures and instead only links to the thumbnails. well I guess you know that you only have to edit the adress to get rid of the .tn
    works alright here, though they are very slow to load, can't you save as jpg?
  • Capt DaveCapt Dave0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice ship.
    @IRML: thx, will resize my pictures in future and ofc save them as jpg.

I had some hard working days so no update on the mesh tonight. I still try out some more variations of this ship. In parallel I scetch engines on my meeting minutes so I hope to get something done in blender by the end of this week
    Ok, here some updates.

First is a scetch of the backup Engine that is used when the hyperdrive module disconected. The second one is my first try to make some greebles... I really underestimated somhow how long it takes to start with greebling. But te good nows is that I get used to blender that way.

The distance is a bit closer than I would go with the finished Model I guess. For real close ups I would have to remodel that parts anyway.

Credits for the girl go to Relic (Torchlight Vanquisher). Its only to show size and will be removd in the final renders ( I made a torso already but still need to do Legs / Arms and Head)
    87770.jpg87771.jpg