Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DCyberstone project

PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
edited September 2013 in Work in Progress #1
Hi all.
This likely to be a long and very slow project.
I have been working on a Cyberpunk setting for some time now. Last year I managed to actually key together a 60 page screenplay for one of the stories which I'm told doesn't suck.
I have people lined up to voice the cast, but so far very little in the way of frames rendered.
So this thread will be for all the stuff I have to model and compile for the project.
How far I'll get and how long it will take it a complete mystery, but it's not going to be over in the few weeks I know that.
('60 pages is roughly 60 minutes of show, so I am planing on rendering some 108000 final frames I guess. Errr yes this will take some time.

Like all my stuff I work in Lightwave, with a few bits from Poser here and there.

So where do I start?
There are two elements I'm starting with. The opening shot, and Scene 1. Both of which require a lot of modeling first, but at least much of the work here will be used a lot in other places as well.
because I can sometimes do a little of this at my day job (During lunch etc) The opening shot will be worked on there at the moment. However Scene 1 I'm working on at home. The scene is a conversation which introduces some of the characters held at "Mac's Container" which is his home.
So here's the container itself started at least. The textures are just temp while I finish the modeling.
I still have the doors to do.
Because the container will feature at the back of several shots, I thought I'd build it from scratch. While it's not strictly an exact copy of a real shipping container, I'm hoping it looks close enough. The overall size is correct for a 6m Dry High-cap container.

As always with my stuff comments, criticisms, and general abuse are welcome. :-)
102811.jpg
Post edited by Pagrin on

• JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    Ah, the ubiquitous TFE container. I know it well. They're such useful building blocks for so many scenes! It's looking good so far.
  • PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    Ok the container is done.
    I've only mapped one wall and the front doors, because the rest won't be seen much if at all.
    Indeed much of the side wall will be covered up as well. :-P
    But now I can progress onto some of the stuff around the container. :-)
    A low poly version of the container will also be needed as well, but that won't take long now I have the base model to use as a reference.
    Nice graffiti. 8)
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    I'd map the entire container, because later you might want to show the shot from a different angle than the one you have panned out.

Also, can I see the script? You got me interested and I can help proofread it.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
    Jenny

Nice graffiti. 8)

Thanks, I knicked it off the net :) In fact there is a street sign as part of it near the back top corner.
    But like I said there will be a pile of stuff against half of the wall anyway.
    oldmangreg

I'd map the entire container, because later you might want to show the shot from a different angle than the one you have panned out.

While normally I'd agree, also because the other end and side can be used as a different container. I already have a good idea (In my head) of a lot of how I want the scene to look. So I know that side won't been seen. It will be seen from high up in a couple of shots, but they are long shots, so the texture work isn't so important.

As many people have said to me over the years, if no one can see it why spend time on it.

As for seeing the script, that can be arranged however I'd need you to agree to confidentiality agreement first. Because while the movie is just for my fun, I do have plans to sell the story itself, so I have to be protective of the copyright.

Little update - There is a fire drum in the middle of the scene, and being an easy thing to start with I thought I'd bang that out today.
    The textures need a little more work to get the dirt right, and of course a smoke emitter and flickering light will be needed. Although I don't think I'll need to worry about animating flames as such.

As a Sci-fi setting there's not much high tech at this point, is there. Well maybe the forklift can have a few tweeks to it.
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    Pagrin wrote: »
    As for seeing the script, that can be arranged however I'd need you to agree to confidentiality agreement first. Because while the movie is just for my fun, I do have plans to sell the story itself, so I have to be protective of the copyright.

Of course. I have no problem with that.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
    You need some holes at the base of the barrel for air to be drawn in to feed the fire.
    Jenny

You need some holes at the base of the barrel for air to be drawn in to feed the fire.

That's a good point. I might cheat and sit it on bricks, with some ash piles at the edges.
    oldmangreg

Of course. I have no problem with that.

I'll get one set up and PM it to you in the next few days. If I forget remind me as I have a lot of distractions at the moment.

Only a small update not worth a pic.
    I made a low poly version of the Shipping container, which I'll alter to make into the longer one and the slightly shorter versions.
    These will be mapped and also a version with is just using the procedure textures. For different area's where details aren't needed. They make useful building blocks for a slum biker gang hideout. :-)
    They make useful building blocks for all kinds of things, including some pretty upscale condos.
    OK I've been working on the containers, their textures are still being finished. (I have to scratch them and add Graffiti and stuff.
    But I wanted to put together the few props I have so far to see how the view is shaping up.
    The image is a bit dark at this point because the only lights are a basic distant light, at low power and the red light in the bottom of the fire drum. Which has nothing for the light to catch on yet :-P
    The bright pink background to to show me where there are gaps in the set.
    However thinks are progressing slightly.
    Forklift, support pylons, car seats, 4 different Motorbikes, and loads of junk, as still to be added.
    Also a few gloomy lights, and at least one smoke emitter.
    Then I can add the cast :-)

As always comment welcome.
    I think having one of the doors of the container slightly ajar would add to the atmosphere.
  • MindfieldsMindfields61 Posts: 0Member
    I'm sure you haven't finished texturing yet, but isn't the crate a little too clean for cyberpunk? I know it has graffiti - but shouldn't there be like carbon stains, metal filings, rust, mud and so on? The whole High tech low life theme... I guess I'm just saying it looks like world in which people drive hybrids - which maybe what you're going for.
    @ Jenny. At the start of the scene there is someone sleeping inside, but they come out on about page 2 or 3 of the script. Which is why the doors are shut at the start. door is hinged, and the handle works as well. There is also a plain textured inside of the container as well.
    Unlike the low poly containers which have no moving parts or insides.

@ Mindfields. There is loads of more junk to come. The scene is a biker camp/junk yard. By the time I'm finished at least half of the container will be buried in stuff.

Also for the record the bikes run on Bio-diesel. Although the rich folk drive electric.
    Modeled a sleeping bag, yet? ;)
    Jenny

Modeled a sleeping bag, yet?

LOL. Er no. While I made an inside I'm not filling it. I expect the camera to catch inside wall or roof surfaces, but only no enough to need to furnish the container.

OK the background containers have some more crap on them, but I still have to scratch them up a bit and add a bit more dirt.
    The Harley has been exported out of Poser of all things, to be used as a base for one of the 4 bikes I need. I have to mod it a bit first and add a sidecar. Also it need to be repainted with the gang colors.
    I'm not sure but I think it looks a little small to my eyes, but it's hard to tell. The numbers are right for what its worth.
    The first little touches of junk have also appeared. The basic plastic blue crate. Some of which have paper stuffed into them.

I've added a "porch light" to Mac's container. And adjusted the rest of the lights to get the gloom I'm after. (more lights will be added however.)
    I think the ground is too regular.
    Jenny

I think the ground is too regular.

Well being one poly, it should be flat!
    No seriously the ground is flat because it's all artificial. The whole area is in fact part of a level of the city which is about 150metres above the real ground.
    The city is built and rebuilt on top of itself.
    The top layer (Known as 1st layer) is all nice and pretty and shinny and clean etc. Where the rich people live.
    2nd layer of the city is a bit more run down, but mostly working. However the light is largely artificial and generally populated by your blue color workers etc.
    Down on the 3rd layer, its slums and the homes of the poor or in this case militant biker gangs. No natural light reaches down here, most of the stuff doesn't work, or has been cannibalized to make stuff that does work, like limited lighting or booze stills etc.
    It violent and dark and completely run down. There is no law here outside of the gangs, because the security (police) are all corporate, and there is no profit in policing these people.
    The 4th layer is locked in smog because of the levels above using heavy greasy fuels.
    No one loves down there, because the air is so foul.
    The city is 8 layers deep.
    The best secrets are at the bottom, but that's another tale.

On the update side of stuff more junk is being made, but nothing worth rendering yet.
    Little update.
    Some more junk in place. (loads more to come.)
    Nearby support pylons in place. One of which has another light shoved into it hence a little brighter in the scene.
    Your description kind of reminds me of Mako city, from Final Fantasy VII.

And I'm amused by the boxes labeled "stuff." The last couple of times I moved, I ended up with boxes labeled that way. :cool:
    I've never played the Final Fantasy games. But it wouldn't surprise me as the idea is reasonably straight forward.
    And for the technical out there, yes I know smog wouldn't behave like I've described, but it's what the population of the city think is happening. The cyberstone setting has a lot of long held secrets and detailed plots going on within it. That's what happens when you spend 10 year developing and hosting games in a fantasy world, and then another 6 years developing the same world 5000 years latter in it's time line. ;-P
    Good Gods I've spent to much on my mind in this place. ;)

As for the stuff on the boxes. I was doing the texture and thought I should cut and paste in a few labels, stencils etc, and then thought, what the heck Stuff in marking texta works. And I wanted to move on to something else at the time. :p

A little update. I've added Bob's seat, and the junk around it. I've also noticed that the scale on some of the junk I recently added is wrong so I'm going to go and fix that for the next update.
    There still needs to be at least 3 other places to sit around the drum. So I'll be slowly adding them to the scene.
    The Harley place holder, isn't going to be up to the task of being Bob's bike, so I'm just going to use it as a temp and background bike, while i build a better one.
    Given I've never built a Motorbike before, it will be interesting to see if I can do it. Let alone make several bikes for members of the gang and street traffic.
    I'm beginning to wonder if I should try and get help with all of this, by making it into a project thread.
    Maybe after Easter is out of the way. I'm not sure.
    Another update while I've had the chance to work on it a little.
    A little more junk here and there. And the scale of the other junk has been fixed.
    I also grabbed an old model to use as junk. Although I'm not happy with the bend I've put into. I might have to reverse and rework that aspect.
    Extra points for guessing what it was.
    The base for the forklift, although the textures haven't been done yet, the current ones are just to give guide.
    I cloned the Harley to block out where the 4 final bikes will go. The is extra space next to one because it will have a sidecar.
    As always comments and crits welcome. :)
    I like the use of a car seat as a sofa, and the use of milk crates as end tables. However, the one on the viewer's left of the seat looks like it might not be placed properly; it looks like it might be in the seat. That bag... the strap position does not look natural, and what's the pink thing on it?

I'm guessing the bent junk used to be a warp core?
    Arr the "Bag" is a car door, which is why that strap looks the way it does. :)
    the pink is actually a reflection of the background color , which will obviously be replaced as the background gets filled in.

Warp Core - Sorry no extra points today.
  • MindfieldsMindfields61 Posts: 0Member
    Pagrin wrote: »
    Another update while I've had the chance to work on it a little.
    A little more junk here and there. And the scale of the other junk has been fixed.
    I also grabbed an old model to use as junk. Although I'm not happy with the bend I've put into. I might have to reverse and rework that aspect.
    Extra points for guessing what it was.
    The base for the forklift, although the textures haven't been done yet, the current ones are just to give guide.
    I cloned the Harley to block out where the 4 final bikes will go. The is extra space next to one because it will have a sidecar.
    As always comments and crits welcome. :)

Think that "bag" is a car door and the pink thing is the sideview mirror.
    --edit-- Oops, needed to scroll down a little more... I missed Pagrin's reply. --edit--

To the scene, it's coming along nicely. I can't wait to see what you do with the lighting and texture.
    Work had to be put on hold for a bit on this project while I finished up another one.
    Not a lot to show just at the moment. I'm working on the shot which leads to this scene, at the moment I have a lot of Dystopia buildings as place holders while I make my own, so I can add in all the neon, and signage I want.
    I've also started a thread in the unpaid work section. I'm looking for people to help with the project, as I can't do it all by myself.
    If you're interested Message me or post it here. You don't need to be an expert, or have massive amounts of knowledge or anything. I'm looking for people to help with the 3D and 2D elements, to what ever level of skill and time they want to provide.
    The intent is that everyone will enjoy the bits they are working on.
    I already have two 2D artists who are thinking about helping out and I've set up a Yahoo group to do a little file sharing and stuff. The project has a budget of Zero. So the only rewards I can offer, are a screen credit and a copy once it's done.
    OK I've been working on the background plate sequence for the opening scene. Its in three parts, which then become the background of some rolling text.
    Each part is a layer of the city the story is set in. So it starts nice a clean, and ends up looking like the stuff I've already posted.
    Some of the buildings are by me, but the rest are modified free downloaded models.
    There is a lot to go, as currently the bill boards etc are just blank colored panels. I have a couple of 2D guys helping me out at the moment, but if anyone is interested in helping with the project let me know.
    This scene still needs the roads finished, more lighting, people, and traffic has to be added.

As always comments and crits are welcome.
    OK I'm back with the first scene, or at least how it blends in from the opening shots.
    I've add some back ground buildings to wall off the scene a little. I've also cloned a pile of the current objects in the scene to fill out the rest of the space with containers etc.
    I've gotten "John's seat" in place (it's behind the pile of pallets). I used a seat I'd done for another model, which in turn is a refitting of a seat I got as a free download from a spaceship bridge, I think it was part of the Dystopia stuff. But in any case the mesh was redone and re-textured for the shuttle I did, and now I've altered it slightly to grung it up a bit.
    I still have a lot to add to this scene in the way of junk, as well as a few specialized shipping containers, and of course more dim lighting, and finally bikes and people. :-P
    As always comments and crits are welcome....but now help is also very welcome.
    I've added so much stuff to this first scene, my computer is starting to complain about it all. :-P
    Ar well, I have enough to be able to render out the first shot of the scene, which as I mentioned is a panning shot. After that I can reduce the scene a bit by getting rid of the extra objects.
    I've gotten the first two characters into the scene, and replaced the bikes with better place holders.
    Because there is a slight delay on the audio for this scene, I'll probably just block it out in a rough form, and start work on the next scene, while I wait for the voice track to be ready.

On a different note, I got their first of the 2D work from one of the other people helping out, which has been added in to the cityscape shot as a billboard.

As always comments and crits are welcome as are offers of helping with the project.
    Hi all.
    Another week another update. The third character for this scene has been added in. And now that the scene is just the view around the local area, I've been able to free up a lot of computing power by removing the object and extra lights that are to far away to be seen.
    Because the characters at this point are basically just poser imported statues with no movements etc. All of these shots are being compiled as a "Previs" But the idea is to return latter and re render the scenes with animated characters etc.
    At this point I've been able to block out the first few camera shots and moves, so I'm up to Page 4 of the script. (only 56 more to go. ;P )
    As always comments, crits, and or offers of help welcome.
    Hi all.
    Another week, another update, another character added. Seems like a trend at the moment.
    Anyway this is Mac the teams leader as such. Having just emerged from his shipping container and joined the conversation.
    Because the Poser figures are not really working out as well as I'd hoped. I'll use them for this previs stage while I get stuff rendered out for timing and testing.
    But it looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and make figures of my own, so I can rig them and add the morphs in to be able to animate the properly, including lip sinking etc.
    Arr well no rest for the wicked I guess.
    As always comment and crits are welcome.
    89776.jpg