Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DBridge ideas explored

teknomancer2008teknomancer200866 Posts: 145Member
edited February 2011 in Work in Progress #1
I have been trying to visualise this for a while now, but always fell into the same old trek-style trap. untill, finally, i got out of that old rut and began to realise the bridge of my dreams. welcome to the "california split-level", an idea i had about twelve years ago, but could never truly see properly. this was based on an ELO album cover i saw once, and developed over quite a period of time, so see it for yourself and let me know what you think. more revealing shots later on, of course, just had time to produce these late last night !!!
87521.jpg
87522.jpg
87523.jpg
87524.jpg
Post edited by teknomancer2008 on
Tagged:

• JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    Congratulations on getting your artistic vision to come clear!
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Reminds me to some command centres.
    NGE, Legends of the Galactic Heroes, Heroic Age, and a few others.

I like it, this kind of bridge is usually what I would think of as a command centre for a real big ship.
  • ZanussiZanussi0 Posts: 0Member
    The space-going Bridge keeps tripping me up too. During WWII ships started to move away from centralised command on the Bridge down to what the Americans call a CIC and the Royal Navy an Operations Room. On a modern warship the Bridge is only manned by the spottiest and most expendable erks in combat, the only time it is properly manned is during manouvres such as entering or leaving harbour. The insistance of moving the CIC to the exposed and vulnerable Bridge might be useful for filming purposes but I don't believe it would be the case in real future life.

But what the heck, this is art!
  • teknomancer2008teknomancer200866 Posts: 145Member
    Jenny wrote: »
    Congratulations on getting your artistic vision to come clear!

thank you.
    Aresius wrote: »
    Reminds me to some command centres.
    NGE, Legends of the Galactic Heroes, Heroic Age, and a few others.

I like it, this kind of bridge is usually what I would think of as a command centre for a real big ship.

exactly the look i wanted to convey, thank you, i am fully encouraged to continue with this project, now.
    Zanussi wrote: »
    The space-going Bridge keeps tripping me up too. During WWII ships started to move away from centralised command on the Bridge down to what the Americans call a CIC and the Royal Navy an Operations Room. On a modern warship the Bridge is only manned by the spottiest and most expendable erks in combat, the only time it is properly manned is during manouvres such as entering or leaving harbour. The insistance of moving the CIC to the exposed and vulnerable Bridge might be useful for filming purposes but I don't believe it would be the case in real future life.

But what the heck, this is art!

it is very difficult to get out of the habit of following the rules of others, isn't it? very hard indeed, thanks for the input, it will help me to keep in mind what i want for the next one i do.
    A little more detail for the command deck, so that you can see the details, i have hidden the rest of the bridge. the oval bit is a central console, and the chairs are my own creation based (loosely) on the cyber seat from daz 3d. ( no original parts of the cyber seat were harmed in the creation of this thread!!! :lol:)
    87525.jpg
    Nice, for the captain and his/her first officer?

I like the look, though the paddings look a bit like free-floating ATM, might want to change the colour of the bars a bit to make a better contrast.
  • NightShadowNightShadow10 Posts: 0Member
    Definitely different. I still prefer the more economical and efficient, centralized bridges of Trek, though. Serving in the military as I am, I have noticed that commanders in the field seem to get more done if everything is centrally located and available to their supervision at a moment's notice. Most of the CP's (Command Posts) I've seen are actually laid out very much like Star Trek bridges- commanders and first-sergeants in the center of everything with Operations, Comms, Intel and Air Support spread out in front of or around them. Auxiliary positions like personnel management, supplies, maintenance, engineering and general support shops are usually in separate buildings, but the command areas are very compartmentalized.
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    From what I gather the CIC is still very centralized as far as serving the command functions. Where a bridge in trek differs from real bridges on naval ships is, as stated earlier, that it only serves the purpose of providing visual cues for close maneuvering functions such as docking. Of course, because of the "rules" most people shy away from placing a command center deep within the ship. You are definitely correct in that having command functions centralized while support functions are spread out makes sense. It would be asinine otherwise and would negate the efficiency in unity of command.

OT: I like the bridge concept. It's definitely refreshing to see something outside the mold of normal (modeled after trek) bridges.
    Definitely different. I still prefer the more economical and efficient, centralized bridges of Trek, though. Serving in the military as I am, I have noticed that commanders in the field seem to get more done if everything is centrally located and available to their supervision at a moment's notice. Most of the CP's (Command Posts) I've seen are actually laid out very much like Star Trek bridges- commanders and first-sergeants in the center of everything with Operations, Comms, Intel and Air Support spread out in front of or around them. Auxiliary positions like personnel management, supplies, maintenance, engineering and general support shops are usually in separate buildings, but the command areas are very compartmentalized.

thank you night shadow, very informative. i had thought of the ster ideas many times, but wanted to do something so much different. seems i have. lol. nice to hear from someone in military for once. keep posting, i would love to hear more. thanks, my friend.
    Nice, for the captain and his/her first officer?

I like the look, though the paddings look a bit like free-floating ATM, might want to change the colour of the bars a bit to make a better contrast.

good ppoint, thanks had not thought of that!! lol. will try that and see what the difference is, might be later on, as i have a busy day today. sorry, almost forgot, yes, this is for the captain and his (female) xo. to keep them together, give them a good place to hide, and set the rest of the bridge in a unique area around and below them. just makes a great visual in my mind, i thought. if only for the reason of good shots for film. lol
    Juvat wrote: »
    From what I gather the CIC is still very centralized as far as serving the command functions. Where a bridge in trek differs from real bridges on naval ships is, as stated earlier, that it only serves the purpose of providing visual cues for close maneuvering functions such as docking. Of course, because of the "rules" most people shy away from placing a command center deep within the ship. You are definitely correct in that having command functions centralized while support functions are spread out makes sense. It would be asinine otherwise and would negate the efficiency in unity of command.

OT: I like the bridge concept. It's definitely refreshing to see something outside the mold of normal (modeled after trek) bridges.

what can i say? except thanks. looks like i have stirred up a can of worms here. wow. didn't intend to, but lets keep the debate going, please.
    tried altering the colour of the handrails, will texture them later on. Also, reduced the number of pads on the outside ( looked like an ATM to me, as well! :confused:), but still not sure about the idea. might change it later. the yellow bits are just to place lights around the base, these will be pointing up toward the console, in order to light the outside.
    87551.jpg
    Impressive idea. I'm a bit confused though, is the railing like a tree-sparked star right now? One up, one down on the outside, one to the inside? That's how it looks right now. Or is that like there's some sort of roundset seating-area above the lights?

All in all though, I'l looking forward to see the progress.
    Impressive idea. I'm a bit confused though, is the railing like a tree-sparked star right now? One up, one down on the outside, one to the inside? That's how it looks right now. Or is that like there's some sort of roundset seating-area above the lights?

All in all though, I'l looking forward to see the progress.

actually, i got a bit lazy when i did that railing, and couldn't be bothered to trim out the bits that were not necessary. (;)), but, now that you mention it, it does look a bit daft. i'll take out the extras, and leave the railing just standing on it's own for now, then i'll post a new picture when i am done. thanks Aresius, all goes to a good cause! lol.