Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DKL-9 Missile. Modelling help needed!!

toontoonizertoontoonizer171 Posts: 0Member
edited February 2011 in Work in Progress #1
Hey there,

I am not sure exactly where to post this but this seems most appropriate. I have been trying to improve my modelling skills recently and i decided to do a small, and what i thought was going to be, simple, project. Unfortunately, I have become stuck and was hoping that someone from here could help me out.

In brief, I am trying to make a rectangular/square extrusion from the side of a cylinder object. The cylinder object being a missile that i am modelling. Now, extruding is the easy part, the problems come when i apply turbosmooth, or whichever smoothing modifier you prefer.

In pictures!:

So this is the cylinder i am going to be extruding from: first one is non smoothed
misisle1.jpg
misisle2.jpg

At the moment there are no mesh errors when smoothing so the geometry is good. At least as far as i know. Now to create the shape i want to extrude i insert two loops, then inset the polygons inside, then extrude a few times to make the control loops:

misisle3.jpg
misisle4.jpg

When smoothed it looks like this:
misisle5.jpg

I need hard corners however, so heres the first of my problems. if I use swift loop to create the control loops i get the desired effects, but then i get pinching on the rounded surface of the cylinder:

misisle6.jpg
misisle7.jpg

And here is one with edged faces on:
misisle8.jpg

I have tried chamfering to avoid make the control loop run along the length of the missile, but that leads to the creation of tris and 5 sided poly's. I have tried adding more geometry and moving the created control loops in the middle of their neighbouring edges, but still get a slight pinching.

If anyone can give me some advice or, even better, tell me how to make a rectangular recess on a cylinder i would be very grateful.
Post edited by toontoonizer on
Tagged:

• BuckaroohawkBuckaroohawk2 Posts: 0Member
    Which modeling program are you using?
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    SubD modeling is a really handy tool, but when you're working on a simple cylindrical object like that, you don't really need it.

Just build a cylinder, extrude scale chamfer connect is all you should need - to make the whole with sharp corners, simply delete the polys after you have made the cylinder, use connect edges to place some edges where you need the hole.
    On my laptop at the moment, if you need more specific hints I'll be home in a couple hours :)
  • toontoonizertoontoonizer171 Posts: 0Member
    Hey,
    I am using Max 2011 for this.

Melak: I was thinking to just leave as is seeing as it is a cylinder but thought it would make good practice to have a go. The problem is have done what you have said but when I put control loops in I get pinching arounded the smoothed edges of the cylinder. The way I have done this is in the pictures above. So if you do have any pearls of wisdom I would most certainly appreciate them!
  • dwldwl0 Posts: 0Member
    Hi there, I think insert stage was where the problem started. Does the attached image help?
    87299.jpg
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    That's what I meant - if you don't use subD on this, you don't need control loops, and you don't get pinching.
  • toontoonizertoontoonizer171 Posts: 0Member
    Ah yes, DWL that was very helpful. I detached and deleted the main cylinder from the rest and then made a new one with more sides, and inset in a ways similar to yours. It has worked!

Thanks alot everyone!