Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

PracticalAdvice on a Connie model

James MidsenJames Midsen62 Posts: 0Member
edited January 2011 in Work in Progress #1
Ok, I've finally actually finished this model's physical build, minus domes, and I'm trying to decide how to get the hull grey without greying in the spots where the sensor domes go:
top1.jpg

Would masking tape do the job? And should I also cover the Bussard domes?
Post edited by James Midsen on
Tagged:

• Randy TjangRandy Tjang0 Posts: 0Member
    What's that made of?
  • James MidsenJames Midsen62 Posts: 0Member
    High-Impact Styrene.
  • Randy TjangRandy Tjang0 Posts: 0Member
    The colouring looks nice- how are you going to make the hull plating effect that's present in the original model?
    I haven't painted it at all yet. That's the white that it came. I'm trying to figure out how to paint it. And as for the pattern, well... However I keep the paint out of the top and bottom dome spots would tell me how to do the rest. So does anybody know how I should be able to keep the paint from reaching the parts I don't want painted?
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    First of all, I think you should be acquainted with [url=http:www.starshipmodeler.com]Starship Modeler[/url], where they're as passionate about building physical models as we here are about digital ones. Secondly, the technique I see described most often is masking with clear tape, but I imagine masking tape would work as well. Are you going to be air-brushing or brushing the paint on?
    For the main Gunship grey, it's gonna be a modlling spray paint. As for bussards, deflector and windows, brush. Why?
    Because, I know you said this is a styrene model, but you should be aware that many resins are soluble by spray-paint solvents. Unless you're absolutely sure it's styrene, you'll want to be very careful about what spray paint you use. Test it on a sprue, first.
  • XFozzbouteXFozzboute654 Posts: 1,627Member
    You can always use liquid masking. You should be able to get it at any hobby shop.
    It's styrene. If it isn't, then I'd love to know why the instruction manual lied :) And I tested it. So far, no disiolving plastic. So just use clear tape and I should be good?
    I think it'll be fine. :cool:
    Awesome :) Thank you. I'll post some pics once it's painted.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9831 Posts: 5,332Member
    Paints;
    most modeling paints have instructions on them. As long as it is not lacquer you should be safe. I would probably still do a primer. (IE avoid RC model paints and some of the paints for Automotive models. The latter is not as common in the hobby store since most car guys will source from the automotive paint manu, these req special prep.

Rattle cans;
    Make sure you warm the can in hot water. Hot paint atomizes better. best bet is to source a cheapo airbrush and compressed air form a cheap source, cans or even a innertube. It makes a huge difference. If not hold the can a decent distance 8" or so and mist it in a even stroke stopping and starting on each pass. Do not change direction while spraying.

Masking;
    Id use liquid mask (make sure it is THICK enough) or vinyl tapes, often sold in sheets. This stuff can be heated slightly to conform to curves etc. And produces a much sharper line. Masking tape due to it's rough nature often leaves a jagged line. Make sure to have everything in a lint free enviroment and if you do use a rolled product do not place it's side on anything other than clean plastic or it will lift junk up from the sides of the roll. THe hull paneling can be done in the same way. Some sites DO sell template masks you just peel and stick.

Model; who's is this? Did polar lights while in my hibernation release a larger model of the TOS E? Smaller model is gray ugh snap fit (read heaps of filler putty and sanding)
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    It's the AMT re-release of their original TOS E.
    Here's the paint:
    PHTO0076.jpg

And a test:
    PHTO0077.jpg