Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DSnow shaders

skarlathskarlath0 Posts: 0Member
edited January 2011 in Work in Progress #1
hey people
just working on this snow and ice shader here.
let me know what you think
86825.jpg
Post edited by skarlath on
Tagged:

• sarabandosarabando0 Posts: 0Member
    it looks great but being a total newb could you explain it abit more please? show me your work process ect?
  • skarlathskarlath0 Posts: 0Member
    Basicly uses angle fall off to add translucency towards blue that snow has, a normal bump texture map to add some bump and cellular displacement.
    Uses world z to determain max angle for the snow in wich case the ice then shows underneath. ice has a bunch of bump maps assinged in reflect and refraction to get the scratchy ice look plus some self illum to thicken up the colour so its not compleatly see through
  • Stevie_DStevie_D191 Posts: 155Member
    Very neat! It looks great, infact.

It certainly does what it says on the tin - an icy cold teapot that certainly gives me the chills!

I wouldn't fiddle with the settings much at all if i were you. It hits the spot so closely.
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    it looks great but it's slightly off right now, like maybe the snow looks too matte, needs to have a bit of sparkle thrown in there, but the ice effect is great

also I think some colour in the key light and some brightness changes would help make it more convincing

really good work anyway
    yea its looking a bit flat, im trying to get the tiny displacement working, using a cellular nosie set to 0.1 size i think but it donst seem to show
  • AardwolfAardwolf171 Posts: 82Member
    Is the actual blue color something intrinsic to the material, or is it just the ambient lighting?

Edit: I mean in real life
    well here i used a max refraction distance and self illume to make it thick blue but in real life i beleve its a mix of environment and just the colour of water
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    The Ice looks pretty great!
    How does the ice material work, is there displacement involved?

Adding some sparkles to the snow should be relatively easy - just add some low-sampled reflections :p
    yea theirs a little bit of displacement in the ice, uses a couple of ice scratch bump maps in the reflection and refraction channels along with some falloff maps. problem with the snow speckle is im not sure how to add some low sampled reflections cos my reflection maps used up with a bunch of stuff
    hey all, i switched to vray and got these shaders let me know if their better or worse

(used the snow shaders in a pic i just uploaded called "Dead Scout" check it out)
    86958.jpg
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    The snow looks good, but I liked the ice better before - it's very see through right now.
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    depends on what scale your going for, the first one looked great for large scale ice, this looks more like smaller scale - like an icecube or something
  • CoolhandCoolhand287 Mountain LairPosts: 1,296Member
    the first one looked way better all round. with the new rendering the teapot is so transparent that its easy to see that its intersecting with the snow its meant to be half buried in.. also i suppose the snow looks more realistic in a way, but i liked how it looked more caked on in the last one, i also preferred the atmospheric lighting and tones of the previous render.

without seeing both sets of shaders under consistent lighting and angle, its hard to say which might be actually better as the conditions are different in each image.
    yea agreed i like the old ice my self but i cant seem to get the same effect as that in vray, i was using metal ray before and i used the max refraction distance to give it its deep blue along with some self illumination but im not sure how to do that in vray, ill make another render using the same lighting as the last one
  • Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
    Looks very nice to me.

I like the first one better, it has that freezing feel.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro