Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUn-named Oberth re-design.

rwkingrwking189 Posts: 173Member
edited January 2011 in Work in Progress #1
Still have to do all the writeups and complete the final detailing of this ship. I always liked the general look of the Oberth, but thought she needed some work. So, I have taken and 'modern-ized' her......taken her to a more TNG/post TNG type styling.

Primary differences between this version and the original is that she is a little more streamlined......not that that makes a huge difference in space.....but she has some additional bits more geared for scientific pursuits. Such as dedicated subspace communication dishes, a purpose built shuttle just for use with this particular craft. I am still working on that one. Unlike the original, this one has some teeth. Not only does she have some phaser strips, and has torpedo launchers. There is also a dedicated probe launcher.

Also, the original oberth had no neck or way for cree to move between the primary and secondary hull unless it was through the pylons....and the logistics of that would be almost impossible for it to be done comfortably....so I added a neck linking the two hulls together.

This first image posting is orthos.

Will post more detailed renders in Kerkythea as time allows.
86768.jpg
Post edited by rwking on
Tagged:

• AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Not so sure about it. Right now it looks like a saucer with some aft decks and nacelles and for the sake of it, a lower hull added, coincidentially looking like the Oberth. Doesn't have that mucha feel of Oberthness to it...
  • rwkingrwking189 Posts: 173Member
    Didn't really set out to re-do the Oberth per se......as to go off the general lines and feeling of the ship and do something more along what I like to do.

In essence, the overall configuration of the Oberth is what I wanted to keep. I started out with the science shuttle first.....will post images of that one soon.......but in the process of designing the shuttle, I realized that I needed a vessel for the shuttle to launch from.....and it made sense to do a science vessel. In Trek canon.........we have several science vessels to choose from.......smaller ships.........such as the Nova and the ship used by the Hansons, but the Oberth is probably the best known science oriented vessel.
  • DannageDannage236 Posts: 634Member
    I like every view except the side one. Some of the bits make it look like we're going for sleek, but then there are breaks in the lines which, in my (frankly generally worthless) opinion are eye jarring, rather than complimentary. But for the first picture in a WIP, doing very well.
    It looks better when rendered properly..........I find it hard to do a set of orthos in Kerkythea. So, I just used the image straight from Sketchup. Some of the 'bits" aren't quite so jarring out when rendered properly. This design sort of took a life of her own.......I wasn't going to go in much detail as it was just to be a background ship for the shuttle.
  • sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    Orthos in Kerkythea are actually simple. Under View>Adjust>Click on Parallel. Then use the appropriate view icon (The 3D cubes with one solid side) on the control bar to select which elevation you want to render and you're done.
  • Capt DaveCapt Dave0 Posts: 0Member
    Its certainly "Oberthy-ish", I will reserve critiques for a later date when the model has been had time to mature.
  • Stevie_DStevie_D191 Posts: 155Member
    Its just a suggestion (as everything i offer :) ) But have you thought about starting the nacelle wings further forward, nearer the saucer? That might help its "Oberthishness" qualities.
    I'll try that configuration........I know one thing that seems to be throwing off the design as a whole........but it is a feature I want to keep as the original Oberth did not have this feature.......a 'neck' or a way for crew to move from primary hull to secondary hull and vice - versa. I may move the neck back further as well.
  • Capt DaveCapt Dave0 Posts: 0Member
    My take on the Oberth was that the secondary hull usually didn't have anything that required direct crew interaction. And that things that would benefit from the isolation would be placed in that hull. Such as high risk labs. Its better to have then in a part of the ship that is easily cut off from the rest.
    This is of course, still a major WIP. One thing is for certain, While I can't speak for every artist out there, this one WELCOMES all your critques, commentary, criticisms, postive and negative remarks.

I will try various configurations till I see something that looks 'right'.
  • HellsgateHellsgate0 Posts: 8Member
    Interesting. I like the fact there's multiple modifiable probe + torp launcher ports in the event one is damaged and you need to swap things around, an actual primary/secondary neck connection capable of holding a turbolift and jeffries' tubes. Though I'm still wondering if there's going to be tiny Type 18 / Chaffee-type shuttlepods with this one or just one (multipurpose Delta Flyer-type shuttle) mated flush with the underside of the Intrepid-inspired saucer section? Perhaps docked in its own dedicated bay in the secondary hull?
    The Shuttle for this one is also of my own design. I will be posting some images of that one soon. However, on the website Desktop Starships, there is a Trek-theme ship called the Einstein. It is a small, three nacelled vessel. This ship was the inspiration for the shuttle design.

The credited artist for the Einstein according to Desktop Starship.com is a James Murphy.

Here is the Einstein.
    86865.jpg
    Here are two WIPS........One of them is the science shuttle designed for the larger Oberth-inspired ship and the other WIP is a start on my own Connie-style ship.
    86928.jpg86929.jpg
  • HellsgateHellsgate0 Posts: 8Member
    attachment.php?attachmentid=87716&d=1295577159

Cute, the U.S.S. Millenium Falcon
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    looks nothing like the millenium falcon