Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DSubmarine Interior

Forget MikeForget Mike0 Posts: 0Member
edited February 2011 in Work in Progress #1
Hey Everyone,

I think its been years since ive been back on this board, just working on a new model fo fun thought i put it up.

I was watching BBC's "The Deep" and i started wondering what the future of submaries would be and started work on this model, enjoy all.

Mike

submaire-bridge-01.jpg
submaire-bridge-02.jpg
submaire-bridge-03.jpg
submaire-bridge-04.jpg
submaire-bridge-05.jpg
submaire-bridge-07.jpg
submaire-bridge-08.jpg
submaire-bridge-09.jpg
sub10.jpg
sub11.jpg
sub14.jpg
sub15.jpg
sub16.jpg
sub17.jpg
sub18.jpg
sub19.jpg
sub20.jpg
sub21.jpg
86786.jpg
Post edited by Forget Mike on
Tagged:

• JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    It's an interesting start. Is this an attack sub or a missile boat?
  • Forget MikeForget Mike0 Posts: 0Member
    Neither more a commercial / scientific vessel. Military vessels are done way to often.
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771268 PNWPosts: 759Member
    Neither more a commercial / scientific vessel. Military vessels are done way to often.

That's because they can blow stuff up.

Looking at your renders, I can't tell if your floor is modeled or mapped.
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
    Nah its textured, the amount of poly's id waste doing that as a model would be ridiculous lol
    Its done using the default tiles texture type in 3DSMax
  • Dr LeeDr Lee2 Posts: 0Member
    Wow.... How many poly's?

Love the current look... how big is it going to be?
    Hey all final updates for the night spent some more time on it , starting playing with the walls some more as you can see and i finished creating the exposed underfloor section under neath the walk way, i have to fill that with cabling and vents and so forth as time goes on.

oh btw Dr Lee poly count is currently 148346.

sub22.jpg
    sub23.jpg
    sub24.jpg
    sub25.jpg
    Laterz
    Mike
    86724.jpg
  • EBOLIIEBOLII205 Posts: 362Member
    So far I love the design. Hate the current floor....looking forward to seeing this evolve
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    try a bump map on the floor, give it some demention.. looks a bit 2D.. and maybe some pipes and stuff under it, some greebles.. something like make it a removeable grate floor.. :)

looking good.. Not enough submarines 3d or otherwise out there! (makes me miss seaQuest!!)
  • MauimanMauiman0 Posts: 4Member
    This thing has got to be sexy looking when it is done. Good job thus far and keep up the good work. Can't wait to see it when it is finished :Thumb:
  • Capt DaveCapt Dave0 Posts: 0Member
    Very Cool!
  • DannageDannage236 Posts: 634Member
    Textured floor.. part see through.... Hang on that's not possible....

.. But Dannage, what if you took a second material and set the opaquenes to zero percent, maybe that colour would become transparent and it would look like a grille.

.. You know what, that might just work.

.. Maybe, I think you should try it.

Nice submarine, but explain how you did the floor, or I'll start talking to myself, then people will think I'm weird.

:)
    Thanks for the comments guys, the plan is the divide the floor up into grates that can be lifted up, the floor texture at the moment is more of a place holder more then anything else, just to give me the general idea of what it will look like, so i know what I am working towards. I plan to do the whole under floor section so that you can lift up the grated floor and see all the equipment.

My 2 main focus for the moment on this project is to:
    A: Finish the walls
    B: Finish the under floor structure.

Although i might get side tracked with some other ideas and additions along the way when the inspiration hits.

Regarding the floor, its only a flat plane at the moment with a tile procedural being used as an opacity map, thats about it, i have done any more to it, i had the thought of modeling the grates but i thought that would be a little time consuming lol and a waste of resources.
  • AeriesAeries1 Posts: 0Member
    I really like this so far! It's quite unique. :]
    Got home at midnight tonight after going out with some mates and decided to do a little work, designed the base grate that all others will be based off, made sure there was a pull handle on both sides of what will be the larger grates.

Laterz
    Mike
    86742.jpg86743.jpg86744.jpg86745.jpg
  • Dr LeeDr Lee2 Posts: 0Member
    That is sweet....loving the attention to detail you're giving this...
    okay......the plates look good. the depth is what gives it the feel
  • PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    Very cool idea. I like the look of this. It has a real "people work here" feel to it.

(Also glad to see anything which isn't just another trek ship.)
    New updates , spent some time getting the grates right. i still need to do the spaces in between, im not sure if yellow warning strips would work for in-between or should i just be steal in-between the grates ?

anyone got any ideas

sub30.jpg
    sub31.jpg
    sub32.jpg

Thanks for all the feedback & Comments

Laterz
    Mike
    I would go with a solid surface beam. With the amount of grates the yellow hazards would be too much and really serve no purpose design wise as in cost effective design wise. This is turning out most excellent
    thanks Ebolli

Well i finished the main level of the grates still have the front section and the raised section to do as well as cut the outside grates when its all closed in.

Spent most of the day on little things , cleanup the pylons and added some of the air vents in.

Its hard to posted, quality updates on this mesh as even though i spend a whole day on it , it never looks like much has been done lol

sub33.jpg
    sub34.jpg
    sub35.jpg
    sub36.jpg

Enjoy
    Mike
  • BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    Great stuff, do you have a sketch of what the final model will look like? I'm pretty curious :)
  • sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    Really splendid modeling here...I am curious though, what is the purpose of having the center section raised?
    Thanks for the Comments Guys, no I don't have an overall sketch of what it's going to look like. But I have a general idea in my head of what's going to go where in my head. Problem with sketching out an interior is that better ideas come along as you go so I find it better so more so have a general out line in my head before I start and sketch little details out before I start as I need to.

The reason for the raised floor section is I was watching a show or 2 on the discovery channel a little while ago about current and past submarines and one of the defining factors is that to a certain degree humans are an after thought, if a piece of machinery needs to go there ... It's going there, so the idea is that even though this is a reasonably futuristic sub, sometimes the machines are still in charge. So the plan is for so of the larger pieces of pipping and secondary controls access points that are too large to fit under the normal grated floor will go in there. The other reason is raising and lowering sections of a floor on a command deck or bridge adds more depth and makes it more interesting.

Laterz mike
  • DGWilliamsDGWilliams0 Posts: 0Member
    Excellent work! Not a seaQuest fan, are you?
    It was one of the shows I loved when I was younger yeah, it's amazing how so many people focus on space when there is so much on this planet left :)
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    I don't know if you are releasing this model, but it would be cool to animate with. How big will it be?
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
    ill see how it goes haddn't even crossed my mind, if i do it will be released through mcgi.
  • BerkutBerkut1 Posts: 0Member
    nice looking details, the smooth pillars somehow work really well with the sharper details, well done
    Thanks Berkut, Im trying to find the balance between sea life in the model and scientific functionality.
  • HellsgateHellsgate0 Posts: 8Member
    I was a SeaQuest fan for years, I can't wait to see where this goes. Any chance of a fan-production out of this?

Set in maybe 2015, we've expanded into the oceans as we've run out of "topside" to exploit and there's certain mystical and scientific communities that don't want us discovering things better concealed and undisturbed beneath the sediment?