Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMy Own Connie

SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
edited February 2011 in Work in Progress #1
I came to the realization a couple of weeks ago that as a sci-fi modeler I've never attempted a Constitution-class mesh. This, in some people's eyes, is a travesty. So, I decided I must build my own.

This is going to be the first model I build from blueprints, texture and animate. Overall, I intend to learn a lot of other skills beyond my very basic modeling ability. I'm hoping for major constructive criticism, too.

I've found the secondary hull is rather complicated...at least more so than I originally thought. I'm kind of worried that the cutouts might not be deep enough, but I'd like everyone's thoughts on it. I'll post more pics later, but right now all I really have left to model are the nacelles and minute details. I'm hoping that what comments I receive won't mean a rebuild or major modification to what I have, but if it's meant to be...

So, without further ado...

UPDATED with current progress for thumbnail image.
86861.jpg
Post edited by Schimpfy on
Rory1707
Tagged:

• oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    Can I get a side view of the Conni? It'll be easier to tell if it needs to be changed.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    As requested.

I'm going to set up the scene for clay renders tomorrow possibly. I'm kind of irritated that some of the detail on the deflector arms isn't showing up. :p
    86719.jpg
    003.jpg 310.8K
    Rory1707
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    what refs are you using?? some are more accurate than others, and even then not so much..

some places
    http://3dscifi.com/ericimages/enterprise/enterprisereference/
    http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/sinclair-enterprise.php
    http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/1701-33inch.php
    http://home.earthlink.net/~casimiro/blueprints.html

If you want to "accurize", I think the Casimiro lower saucer hull curve is more accurate and the placement of the big squares on the TOP of the saucer hull is best on the Casimiro plans. The rest seems to be better demonstrated on Alan Sinclair's excellent plans.

And Shaw deserves a mention of his own for his terrific work on a MUCH less documented, but very important to TOS Trek fans, model

Per Scifi "Constitution" Eric :)

look forward to more!
    I've been using Alan Sinclair's plans...the second time around. Originally, I was using Casimiro's plans, but after I completed the saucer (I agree about the curve of the lower saucer) the rest seemed less accurate than Alan's. I guess this will end up being more of a hodge podge. :p
    Just about done modeling all of the major stuff. I've still got the tube details on the nacelles (don't remember what they're called right now). Next to model is all the nitnoid stuff like windows, lights, etc.

I made an ortho and a couple of other renders so I can get more feedback. Enjoy! :)
    86730.jpg86731.jpg86732.jpg
    Rory1707
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    Looking great! Is this a rite of passage, building one's own Constitution?
  • Stevie_DStevie_D191 Posts: 155Member
    I never did it, but then again ive only ever done one canon ship in my life..... and i never finished it hehe :) (the Daedalus)

She's looking great, Juvat. I think with the windows cut out she'll be tip top nigh on perfect.
    Walkyrje wrote: »
    Looking great! Is this a rite of passage, building one's own Constitution?

Thank you! Some people say yes, and some say now. I believe it's a rite of passage for me. I think this is a great all around ship to use for all of my firsts...popping the cherry, so to speak.
    Rivers3D wrote: »
    I never did it, but then again ive only ever done one canon ship in my life..... and i never finished it hehe :) (the Daedalus)

She's looking great, Juvat. I think with the windows cut out she'll be tip top nigh on perfect.

Thanks a lot! That means a lot coming from a more experienced person around here. :)
  • BuckaroohawkBuckaroohawk2 Posts: 0Member
    The way I see it, building a screen-accurate TOS Connie (or as close as you can get considering the multiple and ever-changing references out there) is a rite of passage for Trek fans who are also CGI artists. That doesn't mean it's mandatory, but it's comparable to learning a sport. You work yourself to exhaustion, sweat over the simplest of details, step to the edge of madness trying to prove you're worthy; then when you hit it out of the park, stick the landing, or make that amazing goal you know you're on your way to the big leagues. Once you've built your own Connie, you'll be amazed at how quickly other projects (Trek-related or not) come together for you. She's the crown jewel of sci-fi ships, plain and simple, and if you do right by her you feel like you can do anything.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,567Member
    Your Connie looks great so far... very clean and accurate to Sinclair's 2D plans, from what I can see.
    Thanks. :) My next step after modeling will be to create textures that are worthy enough for me to release this model publicly. I think that'll be the biggist hurdle.
    ^

Yeah... that will be a challenge. IMO, the trick will be to keep the look of the hull panel lines very subtle... a lot of people like to "over-expose" them, to get an effect similar to the restored Smithsonian model. IMO, the effect on that model looks like crap... it's like someone set the old gal's make-up to "whore". I'd go for a very subtle effect, IMO.
    ... I haven't built one yet.. ( kind of started though.. but a total of 2 days work!....)

looking great sir!
    I've been playing around with texturing the saucer today. I'm learning about UVW mapping which is something I've struggled with in the past. I figured it would be quicker for me to learn on a simple object such as the saucer. Anyway, this is where I'm at now. I used the Amarillo USAF font, which is supposedly not quite right. If someone can point me to the correct font that would be great. ;)

Please, please let me know how this looks to your eyes. There's a minor bump map applied, too. I've tried to keep it really subtle because, like BolianAdmiral said, the redone Connie in the Smitshsonian looks like garbage and I'm trying to avoid that.
    86748.jpg
    Rory1707
    well the orginal grid was just penciled in... and I personaly would put No grid on the ship :) just how i remember it growing up! now i might put a light aztec as they did on Enterprise with the defiant.. bout it.. lookin good!
    My suggestion: don't bump map it. Use a diffuse map instead, and keep it to no more than 3% difference.
    Juvat wrote: »
    I've been playing around with texturing the saucer today. I'm learning about UVW mapping which is something I've struggled with in the past. I figured it would be quicker for me to learn on a simple object such as the saucer. Anyway, this is where I'm at now. I used the Amarillo USAF font, which is supposedly not quite right. If someone can point me to the correct font that would be great. ;)

Please, please let me know how this looks to your eyes. There's a minor bump map applied, too. I've tried to keep it really subtle because, like BolianAdmiral said, the redone Connie in the Smitshsonian looks like garbage and I'm trying to avoid that.

I REALLY like what you have so far... I would leave it at that level, and no further, in respect to the panel lines... once your final color and hull markings are applied, it'll look great, so I think you have it right as-is. You can go a bit lighter IF you want, but definitely don't go for more.
  • Stevie_DStevie_D191 Posts: 155Member
    Yeah i remember when i first tried bump maps and later bevelled out gridlines, your first instinct is to make sure people can SEE them, and as a result you can go too far and too deep. But i agree with Bolian, its looking good.

My best advice to gridlines and bump mapping is to always render multiple test shots from -different- distances... (its easy to just forget and test render up close a lot) If you can spot your gridlines when the ship is a dot in the distance - you've gone too far! hehe :)
    Appreciate the comments. :) I've rendered it at various distances and you don't see the bump until you get as close as the one I posted and then only barely. I think, Jen, that you may be seeing more of the worn look I was going for at the panel lines. If I'm wrong, your eyes are better than mine. :p

I still can't find the frakkin' font I need either. :mad:
    I can help you with fonts... PM me with what you need. :)
    I found it! At least I think I did. AirborneII looks perfect...to me, at least.
    Aye, that'll do.
    Anyone got any good sources for hull colors? I have a decent color palette for TNG era ships, but nothing good for TOS era.
    ^

Juvat, please check your PM box. :)
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771265 PNWPosts: 758Member
    Juvat wrote: »
    Anyone got any good sources for hull colors? I have a decent color palette for TNG era ships, but nothing good for TOS era.

There's a website out there that shows some progress shots of when the original 11ft Enterprise model was being restored for the Smithsonian Museum. As they were detailing paint chips for color, the closest IIRC was Concrete Grey. (color code #9FA8A3 or RGB 159, 168, 163) I'm not sure which shade of copper was used for the deflector dish though.

You can see a lot of detail shots a this page http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=8672
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
    Thank you both very much! :thumb:
    Sooooooooooo...

Started from scratch on the textures altogether. I wasn't happy with the way the weathering was working out and I'm not a fan of the paint job as it currently sits in the Smithsonian.

Anywho...right now there are only diffuse maps and the slight bump maps for the grid. I'm trying to get all of the important stuff lined up like registries and other miscellaneous details.

I'm torn right now about how to do the windows. Part of me wants to just add them to the textures, another part wants to model them in the existing mesh and yet another part is considering extruding them ever so slightly from the model so I can just apply a self illuminating material. Opinions on this would be greatly appreciated, but right now I'm leaning more toward option three.
    86862.jpg86861.jpg
    Rory1707
    Why do you have two running lights per side on the dorsal?

As for hull markings... it depends on how you're going to use this. If you ever want to have a ship other than Enterprise represented, texture is the way to go.
    If you look at most of the plans and shots of the original studio model there are the normal tiny lights and then those giant globes. I don't know why, but they're there. There are two sets on the ventral of the saucer, too. The two tiny ventral lights are actually on the rim of the saucer.