Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DRevisiting an old Friend

Mach CritMach Crit0 Posts: 0Member
edited January 2011 in Work in Progress #1
This was the first model I posted here, about 3 years ago (or was it 4?). I drew this long long ago at age 15 or thereabouts and used it as my first 3d-modelled starship to show off.

I still liked the design even though I did it differently due to my lack of skills at the time. Thought I'd haul it out and redo it, in between boughts with mechs and stuff.

First up the latest attempt, followed by the original, then some details on the new attempt.

Whaddya think?

Mach :thumb:

Starfighter.png
86511.png
86512.png
86513.jpg
Post edited by Mach Crit on
Tagged:

• salsasalsa171 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice. I like the radial symmetry and the detailing in the rear.
  • Mach CritMach Crit0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks, Salsa.

Here's some more detail around the engine and another full shot.
    86541.jpg86542.jpg
  • BrianSzepBrianSzep187 Posts: 115Member
    Hi,

Definitely, looks more refined. :) I like the design too.

-Brian
  • sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    It's an extremely odd design with many impracticalities. But it's also very unique and that makes it very interesting. Do you have an explnation for the big intake? And how does it land? Does the ventral fin fold?
    @Sorceress21 - You just like asking these questions so you can watch me try to pull a rabbit out of my... deep technical archive of techical techy-thingi... ness.

The technology hasn't changed from my original thread (too lazy to find it, but it was around August 2007). The fighter is powered by a dark matter compression engine. Such matter is first laser-ionized (an array of high intensity beams will reside just in the mouth of the intake) using a deep-ultraviolet wavelength. The charged particle plasma is then guided into the main reactor and highly compressed. When this plasma is mixed with a small quantity of antimatter (conveniently stored in the superconducting ring) it produces a high efficiency jet capable of propelling the fighter at upwards of 85,000 KPS.

For launch and retrieval the mothership uses a set of cradles by which the fighter hangs suspended (ala Babylon 5 or tie fighters aboard a Star Destroyer). On returning from mission, the fighter simply hangs under the carrier to be retrieved by that same cradle. Note the attach point on the upper fuselage where it meets the engine/wing section.

Most interesting (and probably most impractical of all) is the cockpit/coccoon for the cyborg pilot. That's the ball/wheel thing slung below main hull and slightly retracted within. This module is self contained and liquid filled to provide some gravity compensation during high energy maneuvers. This assembly can also pivot about its short axis so the force of acceleration is always perpendicular to the pilot's body. Thus there is never the fear of blackout due to blood rushing from the head.

Since the pilot is fully enclosed all stimulus is provided directly from sensors distributed about the craft. This gives the pilot a virtual 360 spherical view and a fully immersive experience and direct level of control over the whole ship. Since the pilot is half machine in order to interface with the SP-47, he/she is affectionately (or derisively) known as "Half-Jack" (stolen from a 1970s-80's short story of the same name).
    86577.jpg
  • sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    Excellent backstory!
    Tanks, Sorceress.

Here's some more details on the upper wing and another full shot. All these greeblie bits and boxes are slow going, but it sure adds detail and realism.

86657.jpg86658.jpg
  • Capt DaveCapt Dave0 Posts: 0Member
    Looking cool!
    Thanks!

Few more details. I'm not sure I like what's going on with the ventral laser cannon...
    86718.jpg
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    Mach Crit wrote: »
    Thanks!

Few more details. I'm not sure I like what's going on with the ventral laser cannon...

It looks like they are from the 1950's while the rest of the ship has a more futuristic look. Laser cannon redesign could be a solution to get it looking like part of the same modern ship.
    Well, that wasn't quite what I was talking about, but I went ahead for a redesign of the cannons.

Heres the details and here's the whole shot.

86756.jpg86757.jpg
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    Mach Crit wrote: »
    Well, that wasn't quite what I was talking about, but I went ahead for a redesign of the cannons.

Heres the details and here's the whole shot.

I like them now :thumb:. Now they look like part of the same design philosophy. This is really an interesting ship and I really like original design, which includes your back story.
    Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

More details on the wings. Think I'll get to start finishing up the engine section shortly.

86795.jpg