Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DU.S.S. Alexander NX-92653

GregHouse1990GregHouse19900 Posts: 0Member
edited December 2010 in Work in Progress #1
This time I tried to make everything right with my new concept.
First I imagined the role of my new ship.
It would be a blockade-runner similar to the USS Defiant which is why the ship would be small, fast and with powerfull forward weapons. My design is 175 meters (about 575 feet) long and has a very small profile. I tried to make the impulse-drive as big as possible and the RCS-thrusters big enough to maneuver the ship. Two forward torpedo-launchers should deal with everything what's in your way.
It's a battleship and Starfleet wont have much use for it in times of piece. It has no shuttles and no windows and a very low lifecycle and range. It is clearly not a ship for long range missions. It engines are for high speed and manoeuvrability not for endourance, so I tried to make a modular look. The engines should look like they would be easy to replace.
Last but not least, I tried very hard to show the size of the ship through the escape-pods (they are the same type, as for the soveriegn-class) and the phasers and torpedo-launchers (I used the intrepid-class to relate the sizes).
I hope you like the design.

ussalexander.png
Post edited by GregHouse1990 on
Tagged:

• HellsgateHellsgate0 Posts: 8Member
    Interesting, but much like Paul S.Cargile's Ranger-Class, I really really want orthos, (front, side, aft, etc.) if its' available/possible. Are the nacelles embedded in the hull or not yet shown?
  • GregHouse1990GregHouse19900 Posts: 0Member
    Side and bottom are WIP's (or pencil sketches), they should be ready by tomorrow.
  • lennier1lennier1914 Posts: 1,284Member
    Interesting fusion of different elements.
    Seems like it would also make a great courier ship and police cruiser for core sectors / trade routes.
    Here's the sideview of the alexander

alexanderseitewip.png

alexanderseite1.png

And this is how the ship would look like if the warp-drive is separated from the ship. To be clear: It's NOT some kind of saucer-separation. A mayor design-flaw of the ship is that antimatter, warp-core etc. etc. is all very near by and in case of an emergency I thought it would be beneficial if the whole exploding stuff could be ejected. Some kind of last ditch effort before the crew mounts the escape-pods.

alexanderoben2.png
    That line of thinking makes sense.
    IIRC full impulse was supposed to be a quarter of the speed of light, which could make quite a difference in a situation like that.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Interesting ship, I'm looking forward here.
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    u should make the necelle pod thing u got going on a lil longer
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    Remember that space is generally pretty hard vacuum. That means that there's nothing to propagate shock waves. If you can get clear of the radius of major debris, you're in the clear.
    Walkyrje wrote: »
    Remember that space is generally pretty hard vacuum. That means that there's nothing to propagate shock waves. If you can get clear of the radius of major debris, you're in the clear.
    That's why it's important to get as fas away as possible until the ejected section is blown sky high.
    An escaping saucer section might not take too kindly to having the better part of a nacelle filled with burning plasma slam into it at 5% of the speed of light.
    Walkyrje wrote: »

It's not the shockwave that I was afraid of, or even the debris. Just that this ship is likely to be hit in a huge battle (thus the risk of having the whole warp-drive exploding under your a**) and it would be beneficial for the crew to have a sublight transportation left with actual impuls-speed, or armor, or shield, or weapons. Or simply a ship left to fly.