Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStarrigger's Garage

• BerkutBerkut1 Posts: 0Member
    good work on the truck, not something you see around here very often
  • StarriggerStarrigger476 Posts: 702Member
    the WWW is a caterpillar like crawler for the exploration of even stranger worlds...

It popped into my head, wanted to get it out! :o
    86936.jpg
    Come on over to my place CGI Worlds
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    Two legs are inherently unstable. May I suggest four per segment instead?
    OK, yes I'm a little bored today... :D

Added wider footprint and repositioned the struts... and trees (yes those are trees, from the Paper Mario galaxy)
    86949.jpg
    ... and a couple of shots of the truck.
    87000.jpg87001.jpg
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    I like how the truck is coming along :thumb:
    Added some hydraulics to the WWW
    87061.jpg
    I love your round vents on the modules. And the hydraulic assemblies... well, they seem a little spindly, and the pistons and their cylinders don't, to my eye, have enough difference between how large they are. As tie bars they're fine, but as hydraulics... make 'em butch!
    Like with most things I work on, it evolves... Soooo, which do you think, Wheels, Walker, or Treads? :D

Steve
    87093.jpg
    I'd say treads, but with big ol' road wheels like your front ones there. This is for unimproved terrain, so give it some aggressive treads on the track!
    How bout that? Tracks AND Wheels! :D
    87107.jpg
    I like. :cool:
    Kind of like a BV206
  • Ronson2kRonson2k0 Posts: 0Member
    I remember reading Starrigger as a kid for a book report for school. For years I tried to remember the book title trying to look it up again. Very cool what you're doing. Thanks for hipping me to this great story again.

I tried to find it as a used book at my local book store and the big box book store we have in Canada has it as a Kodo 'electronic form' but I'll be keeping an eye out for it now that I have the title again.

There have been a few forms of the story out there Space Truckers and a few others. Not nearly up to the caliber of this story but similar in concept. I'd love to see a movie version of this story though it was a great read when I was a kid and would be a great movie now.

Keep up the great work.

Looking forward to your updates.
    cavebear wrote: »
    Kind of like a BV206

Or the Sisu NA 110
    or the ...

ah crap! maybe I need to come up with something a little more fiction and a little less science... :rolleyes:
    Ronson2k wrote: »
    I remember reading Starrigger as a kid for a book report for school. For years I tried to remember the book title trying to look it up again. Very cool what you're doing. Thanks for hipping me to this great story again.

I tried to find it as a used book at my local book store and the big box book store we have in Canada has it as a Kodo 'electronic form' but I'll be keeping an eye out for it now that I have the title again.

There have been a few forms of the story out there Space Truckers and a few others. Not nearly up to the caliber of this story but similar in concept. I'd love to see a movie version of this story though it was a great read when I was a kid and would be a great movie now.

Keep up the great work.

Looking forward to your updates.

I believe it also has potential as a short run TV series ( but there is the likelihood it would turn into a bad futuristic BJ and the Bear knockoff )
    Starrigger wrote: »
    Or the Sisu NA 110
    or the ...

ah crap! maybe I need to come up with something a little more fiction and a little less science... :rolleyes:

Not really. Good SF uses science in one form or another. So this is just a really long, multi-unit Sisu NA 10 or BV 206. I picture it being used the way we used the BV 206: Tundra, muskeg and swampy areas. Make it two stories tall and have it as part of a planetary exploration expedition. Big, fusion powered beast with science cars, crew cars, galley cars, auxiliary vehicle cars, stores/consumables and cargo cars. You could really go somewhere with this, having adventures all over a new planet. You could come up with some background history on its development too. :cool:
    cavebear wrote: »
    Not really. Good SF uses science in one form or another. So this is just a really long, multi-unit Sisu NA 10 or BV 206. I picture it being used the way we used the BV 206: Tundra, muskeg and swampy areas. Make it two stories tall and have it as part of a planetary exploration expedition. Big, fusion powered beast with science cars, crew cars, galley cars, auxiliary vehicle cars, stores/consumables and cargo cars. You could really go somewhere with this, having adventures all over a new planet. You could come up with some background history on its development too. :cool:

oooh, I like the way you think cavebear (I was just being silly about the science stuff...) I like the direction you took this. I will need to rethink again, see what I come up with. your comment got me thinking about two land vehicles I liked growing up..

They were the Landmaster from the movie called "Damnation Alley"

land2.JPG

go here to see more

And "ARK II" (again with the ark, hmmm) from a much liked as a kid, Saturday morning tv show by the same name.

ark21-jpg.jpg

Here's I guy with small model kits of both: http://pages.sbcglobal.net/mdcurtiss/_wsn/page10.html
    Perhaps a bit closer to that would be The Highwayman A short lived but quite cool TV series about the time the books came out 1986. Although it was 'earthbound' the truck did have a helicopter in it. You can find a pretty good clips of the opening of the show and one episode here on youtube.
    I loved Arc II when I was a kid! They had a jetpack they used every episode! How can you not like that?
    Yeah, I remember Arc II as well, that was a great looking ride :)
    Ronson2k wrote: »
    Perhaps a bit closer to that would be The Highwayman A short lived but quite cool TV series about the time the books came out 1986. Although it was 'earthbound' the truck did have a helicopter in it. You can find a pretty good clips of the opening of the show and one episode here on youtube.

Wow, missed this one, must have blinked. I like, need to add another ground vehicle to my list.
    Now the Question... Is bigger better? More to come
    87191.jpg
    I rather like that... but I bet it won't roll across narrow bridges in Europe. ;)
    Now you're talking! Just the "mobile base explorer thingy" AR that we need :)
    edited June 2022 #57
    The "MBET"AR with a modified and re-purposed Starrigger cab

rjupm8eiskk6.jpg
    Post edited by Starrigger on
    Walkyrje wrote: »
    I rather like that... but I bet it won't roll across narrow bridges in Europe. ;)

Bridges!? We don't need no stinking bridges!!
    What's the purpose of all the extended scaffolding?
    edited June 2022 #60
    OK, let's see if we can't put some back-story to this thing.

It is designed to be an exploration vehicle.

It is modular in all respects, can be chained with as many sections as needed for a given assignment.

The cage structure is a self-contained unit with power and other housekeeping functionality housed in the areas above the tracks.

Each cage has a slide-out manual pilot "Booth"

We can come up with more as we go along.

ter9shp4wxxu.jpg
    Post edited by Starrigger on
    In Europe and in Australia they have these things called Road Trains. They are multi trailer setups. In Aus they run these as they have to go very long distances with very little in between. Not many places to stop so it is much like a road based train. In Europe they run on special roads (only road trains permitted) this separates them from other traffic and 'regular' trucks.

Your exoskeleton frame work could be a problem if you are planning to run them in cold/arctic conditions. The framework could ice up and add added weight to your lash up. This could even lead to unruly driving conditions if one side ices more then the other. You may need to add some shielding to protect the framework from exposure to hot or cold. The framework could be a great beginning for plating should you add that to your trucks/trailers. I like the modular nature of the trucks.

If you are planning on running your trucks in bad weather you may want to watch Ice Road Truckers. They run trucks across frozen lakes in small groups during the winter as they can't "there be water there" during the summer.

Hoping to help.
    Ron