Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DFreedom Class Trek Starship in Blender

13»

• Polaris 004Polaris 004199 Posts: 752Member
    Walkyrje wrote: »
    I know I'm being difficult, but if there are two rows of lifeboats like that, isn't it going to be hard for people to access the aft ones? Maybe move the most outboard one further outboard, to line up with the lone side boat, and then get rid of the others?

The clearance between the pods is about 7 feet, which seems reasonable to me. I could lose one on the row closer to the bridge and spread them out evenly again, but it would mean six people would have to die in the event of a catastrophic evacuation...

(While I was thinking about it, I scaled up my bridge by 1/3. It was big enough, but I thought it could stand to be a little bigger, and clearly, I had the room for it...)
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    When I mentioned the elevators I was thinking more along the lines of on the top surface of the saucer proper, not the superstructure. This works though. :) If I remember correctly about the lifeboats on the Galaxy-class each on of them is in it's own "room" so seven feet might not be enough if you think about the walls and utility equipment.
    Juvat wrote: »
    When I mentioned the elevators I was thinking more along the lines of on the top surface of the saucer proper, not the superstructure. This works though. :) If I remember correctly about the lifeboats on the Galaxy-class each on of them is in it's own "room" so seven feet might not be enough if you think about the walls and utility equipment.

No, I believe these squares on the ships' surfaces are not the lifeboats, but merely their hatches or covers. The lifeboats are somewhat smaller, and inside. So I imagine that whatever "walls" or "enclosures" house the lifeboats within the ship, they won't need to be any wider than the width of the hatches.

Still, if it gives the IMPRESSION of being to crowded to work, that in itself is enough to be distracting. I'm gonna push these peas around on my plate some more, and see what develops.

Zephyr9.jpg

Okay, I admit that looks better... it's just too bad 24 people have to die if the ship hits a quantum filament, or a temporally displaced ship...

(I got what you originally meant about the elevators, Juvat, I just thought my little shuttlebay could use them regardless... it's a little tiight in there.)
    Could you push some of the hatches around so that the three on either side flow with the hull line? I think if they followed that curve it would look much cleaner. If you're still worried about twenty four people dying you could say the bridge is also a lifeboat. On top of all that, since the shuttlebay is right there you have another option for getting people out. Some warp capable options nonetheless. ;)
    Juvat wrote: »
    Could you push some of the hatches around so that the three on either side flow with the hull line? I think if they followed that curve it would look much cleaner. If you're still worried about twenty four people dying you could say the bridge is also a lifeboat. On top of all that, since the shuttlebay is right there you have another option for getting people out. Some warp capable options nonetheless. ;)

Yeah. I WILL move those lifeboats. I tried it and it looks even better still. Wow, this is a lot of effort for some lifeboats. :p

While we're at it, here are the orth pics I'm thinking of using for the Rapsody:

RapsodyOrth1.jpg

RapsodyOrth2.jpg

RapsodyOrth3.jpg

RapsodyOrth4.jpg

RapsodyOrth5.jpg

RapsodyOrth6.jpg

RapsodyOrth7.jpg

Already I can see the registry lamp on the rim of deck three is off-center. (Sigh) I sometimes get things off-center like that. Any other mistakes?
  • admiral hortonadmiral horton201 Posts: 145Member
    Great job I hopw you'll post an orthographic view of the one with the over, under nacelles I really like that one
    I hope you will do the Niagara Class that a class that has been neglected
    Did you know that you spelled rHapsody wrong? :P

I like the orthos, though. :thumb: Nice work on this one.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Front/Back images, the nacelle looks off-centre as well.

Nice work else.
    Aresius, right you are thanks.

Juvat, what can I say except

images.jpg

(I SPECIFICALLY LOOKED UP THE SPELLING, too! Something must have went wrong. Never do your registries at 2:00 in the morning...)

Oh well, better to look like an idiot here than in the galleries, I suppose....

Admiral Horton, I will be doing an orth of the variant next, but it may take me a few days to do the "final cleaning and processing" of the mesh.
    To save space and to hide my idiocy, I replaced the Rhapsody Orths in the original post with better, updated pics.

And here are the Variant orths for your perusal... please tell me If I messed anything up... I've been working on this stuff too long and can't see what I'm looking at anymore. I need to take a day off of this hobby.

ZephyrOrth1.jpg

ZephyrOrth2.jpg

ZephyrOrth3.jpg

ZephyrOrth4.jpg

ZephyrOrth5.jpg

ZephyrOrth7.jpg

ZephyrOrth6.jpg

I need to choose between the final pic and the second to last pic for my 3/4 view. I think I like the second to last pic better.

Okay, I'm taking my smoked brain to bed for some sleep. See you all in a day or so:p
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    They look fabu! The penultimate pic is the more dramatic, in my opinion.

And I know you're probably working from sketches, but if I were designing this ship, I imagine I would make the necks about half as long as they are.
  • Stevie_DStevie_D191 Posts: 155Member
    She looks great. I think the only real crit for me is the nacelle texture just looks a tad too blobby. But if thats all i can nitpick on, that shows what a lovely mesh it is :)
  • admiral hortonadmiral horton201 Posts: 145Member
    Sweet
    Rivers3D wrote: »
    She looks great. I think the only real crit for me is the nacelle texture just looks a tad too blobby. But if thats all i can nitpick on, that shows what a lovely mesh it is :)

Thanks, but tell me more about what you mean. Is the pattern to large, not detailed enough, or do you mean the SHAPE of the nacelles bulge out too much. This mesh is done, but I may be able to make my next one better...
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    Yes, I'd say that the pattern on the skin of the nacelles is too large. And the Bussard collectors are blotchy, instead of smoothly shading between colors.
  • Fre'dniFre'dni0 Posts: 0Member
    Inset into leading edge of the saucer. With such a silhouette, would not need a massive nav deflector, as a Galaxy, or most cruisers. The nav deflector is used to clear objects from its path, while the deflector grids, on the remainder of the ships are used primarily as shielding. Raising shields, seems to just providing more power to the hull deflector grids.
  • Stevie_DStevie_D191 Posts: 155Member
    Thanks, but tell me more about what you mean. Is the pattern to large, not detailed enough, or do you mean the SHAPE of the nacelles bulge out too much. This mesh is done, but I may be able to make my next one better...

No no, just the texture really. Like Jen said. For me it just looks like there's too many spots of the lighter shade of red, giving it a measles looks more than a "oooh shiney, gas inside" look. I had the same problem with a couple of my bussards in the past, its tough to get the right balance.

My suggestion would be to just gaussian blur it a bit in whatever paint application you use to take the edge off the lighter blotches, so they look more blurred and "gassy" :) If that makes sense.

ZephyrOrth2.jpg

thats just me trying to blur it a bit, but me blurring the image and not the texture wont give the right results. But thats kinda what i mean. Just to make it more Galaxy-Class glossy glass. :)

Hope that helps, im terrible at explaining the tirade of useless information in my head at times.
    Oh, I see now. Thanks for the clarification. Yeah, although the colors are closer than I ever got them, the texture still does not really match what we see on the shows very well. Part of the problem is that I use no transparent materials, because it slows render times down so much. But I also never really spent much time trying to really match the Bussard collectors to any available image either. I guess I should make a list of stuff to do when I don't actually feel like modeling or rendering... A putter list.

Walkyrje, I agree with you about the pattern being to large on the nacelles. I should break it up a bit more; that wouldn't be hard to do at all, I could probably do the nacelles and the neck in about half an hour. I was thinking that the pattern could be larger, because the ship is so much smaller than the Galaxy Class. But I think it WOULD look better with more shapes and detail.

Actually, this makes me start thinking if it isn't time to start trying to texture these models the proper way, with layered maps. I've been putting that off, but I guess if I want to progress to the next step I should start trying to master that technique again. I will never be able to produce the truly breathtaking models I see here until I do.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Wow, that's wonderful. You could imagine this to be the TNG-refit for this famed Akula-class...