Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DOriginal universe stuff

salsasalsa171 Posts: 0Member
edited January 2011 in Work in Progress #1
Hi, it's finals week and instead of studying for my last final on Thursday I decided to torture my laptop's integrated graphics and start a project, namely sticking with a universe and building ships for it. I passed everything with a B or better and made a 3.4 on a 4.0 scale.

Anyway, first up is the Hoplite. It's inspired by two dreamwalker's ships, namely this one and this one. Put a vertical orientation on it and give it eight guns in two turrets and you've got the basic formula for the Hoplite, still a long way to go, but I think she's shaping up nicely.

As always Comments and critiques welcome.

turret detail. I really like how these came out.
Hoplite_12_07_2010_turret_detail.png

Whole ship.
Hoplite_12_07_2010.png
86523.png
Post edited by salsa on
Tagged:

• HaturodHaturod0 Posts: 0Member
    Good start! I have to say it looks a bit like a sailing boat going nose down at the moment :) That said, it strikes me as an awesome idea to equip the ship with some sort of solar sails which can be put away behind the front bit when not in use :) Just a suggestion :)
  • salsasalsa171 Posts: 0Member
    @Haturod: Thanks man, hopefully it'll continue looking good. Probably going to redo the shield though. engines are going to be next on the to-do list, sorry no solar sails here.

Anyway, here's some updates.

Redid the main hull behind the shield:

Hoplite_12_09_2010.jpg

And added something to fill in the gap between the shield and the main hull, and a light test just to see how it looks:

Hoplite_12_09_2010_light_test.jpg

Also started on another ship, but that'll be in the next update after I get some more done on it, some of the turrets that'll be on multiple ships, and of course the Hoplite.
    86129.jpg86130.jpg
    Compare_SFTD_v_AC_mk_12.png

Long time no post. Sorry about that.

Any way, the above is an example of an assault cruiser and a heavily modded version known as "Sympathy for the Devil." I'm just trying to get some models built that I can use for reference for a comic i'd like to do.

I've done a little work on the Hoplite (which is going to be a Battleship with twelve cannons the size of the assault cruiser's main gun). I've also built a station that the fist part of the story takes place around. I'll post those if anyone's interested in seeing them.

As always, comments and critiques are welcome.
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    Of course, we don't know anything about the universe other than what you share, but do remember the laws of motion... if that big gun fires a solid slug, it generates delta-v in the opposite direction. (Actually, it generates delta-v even if it fires a directed energy beam, just less so). That's fine on the axis of the cruiser, but off-axis on a battleship will cause navigational (astrogational?) difficulties.
    Walkyrje wrote: »
    Of course, we don't know anything about the universe other than what you share, but do remember the laws of motion... if that big gun fires a solid slug, it generates delta-v in the opposite direction. (Actually, it generates delta-v even if it fires a directed energy beam, just less so). That's fine on the axis of the cruiser, but off-axis on a battleship will cause navigational (astrogational?) difficulties.

Point taken. Basically, the story is hard science fiction, no artificial gravity, no "inertial dampeners", but there is FTL travel and communication. Those big guns will generate a lot of force, true, but that battleship is massive, and has quite a bit of inertia. I'll probably add some thrusters to the battleship at some point. The cruiser has thrusters in the rear of the ship that fire at the same time to keep the ship from being knocked off course while in combat, since the engines can rotate, you can aim the cannon where ever you like while burning.

Thank you for the comment by the way.
    Okay, some of this I've had done, but waited until now to post.

"Sympathy for the Devil" and the stock Assault Cruiser are nearly ready as a reference. I just have to add the radiators to them. Easy for the stock ship, not so easy for "Sympathy".
    Compare_SFTD_v_AC_mk_12_2.png

Added engines, a rear gun, and fuel tanks to the Hoplite Battleship.
    Hoplite_01_01_2011.png

LaGrange Station, where the first part of the story takes place at.
    LaGrange_Station_01_01_2011.png

A shot of the three turrets I have built for this little project.
    turret_pack_01_01_2011.jpg

One of which is rigged

As always comments and critiques are welcome.
  • HaturodHaturod0 Posts: 0Member
    Starting to look good :) Turret barrels do stike me as being to thin at the moment, however, if we see the scale of it it might not be so :)
    Haturod wrote: »
    Starting to look good :) Turret barrels do stike me as being to thin at the moment, however, if we see the scale of it it might not be so :)

Sorry for the wait. I wasn't sure about the scale of the ships until a couple of minutes ago. The stock assault cruiser is 250 meters and Sympathy is 263 meters. So the big turret with three barrels is about the size of the ones on the USS Missouri.

Thanks for the compliment. I hope you like some of the new stuff I'm working on.
    I've added radiators to the Stock Assault Cruiser. Good news, I've rigged it. Bad news, I decided in my brilliant wisdom to animate and render said animation at 6400px by 3600px.

Yep it'll be awhile folks.

about twenty minutes and frame 9 is just starting to render.

9/250 frames ><
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    Something that I've learned since I first read about the Stanford Torus idea: a rotating ring becomes a gyroscope, and precesses as it orbits. (O'Neill actually mentions this in The High Frontier). If you want your station to stay oriented to, say, the sun, you'll want to link rotating bodies in counter-rotating pairs.
    Walkyrje wrote: »
    Something that I've learned since I first read about the Stanford Torus idea: a rotating ring becomes a gyroscope, and precesses as it orbits. (O'Neill actually mentions this in The High Frontier). If you want your station to stay oriented to, say, the sun, you'll want to link rotating bodies in counter-rotating pairs.

Hence why there's four. :D

Sorry I'm not trying to be a smart aleck, I just already knew that and just didn't mention that the odd rings rotate one way and the even rings another. The cruisers also have two smaller rings about fifteen meters wide (I'm going to be drawing them so I have to make it side enough not to be a nightmare to get the perspective right). One has the galley, common areas, and gym, the other has the crew's quarters (three to seven members depending on the length of the mission and whether or not you need a boarding party for inspections). I need to get started on the ships for the other faction at the beginning of the story and finish modelling and rigging the ships for the faction the station is for.

A lot to do before I can even start drawing, but it's good.
    Started rigging the stock cruiser.