Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DFuture Uniforms

uniderthuniderth1 Posts: 0Member
edited April 2011 in Work in Progress #1
I've been thinking of some uniform designs and I would like some feed back. Because I'm posting them here on Sci-fi meshes we'll just pretend they are for some sci-fi project.

This is like the BDU. This style would be available in other colors and camo patterns. My wife is helping me put this together in RL.
144d4161eb.png
This is the garrison uniform. It is for the executive officers. The Army, Navy, etc would each have different colors. You'll notice the Imperial officer's cap. It is just a place holder for the actual cap which I have yet to design.

88449ef549.png

Any suggestions for improvement are appreciated.
86002.png
Post edited by uniderth on
Tagged:

• DannageDannage236 Posts: 634Member
    You're making these in real life?... Are you creating an army? Where will I fit in the new order?!
    :D

These look pretty darned good. Very much more 'present day' and militaristic than your colourful starfleet design... Utilitarian, I think was the word I was looking for.
  • uniderthuniderth1 Posts: 0Member
    Well I'm making the top one in real life. My criteria were:
    1. A design that overcomes the problems of BDUs and ACUs.
    2. Something that looks less military and more civilian.

As far as goal 2 I went with simple solid colors to avoid using camo. The reason is, people are much less comfortable around someone decked out in full camo. The solid colors give it a less military feel. Also the primary purpose of this uniform is not tactical, it is functional.

Also it is designed to be worn with three different types of footwear. Black combat boots, the tan combat boots the army uses, and brown hiking boots. This flexibilty allows for people to still use this uniform even if they don't have the same footwear. Allowing hiking boots to be used also allows for a more civilian appearance.

The top uniform also is designed to be basic. It's function for specific situations can be modified by vests. These vests would be function specific in design. So for going to a class, one could wear the "Academy Vest"(or some other name). If one was going out for shooting practice they would swap for the "Tactical Vest."

The second uniform is all miltary and designed to give that impression. I wanted something that looks good, but also looks a bit futuristic.

There is a third class of uniform, the Parade uniform but it's not ready yet. That third one is designed to look modern,yet reminicent of the mid 1800's
    Here's an update. I added little side thingies. I think they make it look a lot better. I also added some awards.

b6d1d39d8e.png

Here is what I have of the Parade uniform so far. You can expect it to change a bunch before it's done.

db4a86cf3d.png
  • hazendhazend171 Posts: 0Member
    Impressive
  • Knight26Knight26192 Posts: 838Member
    Are you using a template at all? If so can I borrow it?
  • PheonixPheonix1 Posts: 0Member
    the garrison uniform looks like an Imperial Moff uniform from Star Wars if you ask me
    Tha's probably because the hat is basicallly the Imperial design. I didn't want to use the peaked cap because then that would look to much like the Nazi's. Any other hat just doesn't look as good. But if there are any suggestions for a different hat. The winter version uses an Ushanka.
  • Capt DaveCapt Dave0 Posts: 0Member
    Very Cool!
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    uniderth wrote: »
    Tha's probably because the hat is basicallly the Imperial design. I didn't want to use the peaked cap because then that would look to much like the Nazi's. Any other hat just doesn't look as good. But if there are any suggestions for a different hat. The winter version uses an Ushanka.
    Have you tried a beret? or a fez?
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Impressive work, I really like it. Though the parade uniform looks a bit too oldfashioned.
    Here's some minor updates to the duty uniform. I should be about finished by now. Also the one my wife and I are making in real life, is about finished too. I'll post some pictures. I can already see some design benefits and some design flaws.

55d650d768.png

Here is the start of the female Parade Uniform.

bccc2dcb48.png
  • Major DiarrhiaMajor Diarrhia331 Posts: 0Member
    The parade uniform should be the service uniform unless you're having a band. Then it should be an extremely gaudy version of the service uniform. Where the normal uniform has piping, rank and reward insignia, the other uniform has tripple piping in gold, tassels, and sashes. :lol:
    US military's have a duty uniform, service dress, and parade/mess dress. And some branches have a combat uniform separate from duty. Your garrison outfit is equivalent to the jacket+tie outfit in modern military, and would be suitable for most semi-formal and formal occasions. Parade Uniforms are super-formal, with actual medals instead of ribbons, usually. All uniforms should be designed with tactical purposes in mind - Your duty uniform is lacking pockets, and white looks very formal and doesn't fit well into civilian look. Maybe green or khaki or navy. vests aren't really important, but if you make an optional jacket for class or less casual situations, it could work well. you should have a matching tactical vest for the camo version.

What are you planning to do with the real-life version?
  • MeatshieldMeatshield0 Posts: 0Member
    Generally, there has always been a set of "tropical" Service and Dress uniforms, which adapted to hot/humid regions by using lighter materials or white/creme colors (or both).

The US (not counting the Navy) military has gotten away from this lately, because we're cheap.
  • Tochiro76Tochiro760 Posts: 0Member
    I keep thinking of wing commander while looking at these uniforms. Specifically wing commander 1 and 2.
    Meatshield wrote: »
    Generally, there has always been a set of "tropical" Service and Dress uniforms, which adapted to hot/humid regions by using lighter materials or white/creme colors (or both).

The US (not counting the Navy) military has gotten away from this lately, because we're cheap.

we just use the tan service uniforms, unless the situation calls for camo or jacket/tie. it is cheaper
  • PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    I'd ditch the idea of the female parade uniform. The more modern the setting the less relevant gender is to positions and tasks. Each uniform should be the same for both males and females, maybe with a different cut to allow for proportions and figure.