Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DTrek atmospheric gunship

TugarTugar171 Posts: 0Member
edited December 2010 in Work in Progress #1
This is something I cooked up recently. It's not completely finished as I still need to tweak a few things like the top engines and make the landing gear. This is part gunship, part troop transport. I was aiming at something the size of a CH-53.
85945.jpg
85946.jpg
Post edited by Tugar on
Tagged:

• sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    Looks like it belongs anywhere except Trek...Unless you are intending it to be something Pre-Enterprise Era. But the weapons are still too modern day looking for this to be a future craft. I'd take off most of the length from the exhaust outlets. They look like they should be sitting on top of a big Caterpillar Generator or semi truck. This is all merely my opinion of course, but overall I'd say you have a great start for a cool near future combat transport.
  • TugarTugar171 Posts: 0Member
    Actually I am considering a story and I need a few vehicles. This being one of them. It will be TMP or earlier. I won't go into details, but was thinking Star Trek without Starfleet.
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    looks to starwarsie to me
  • FalinFalin0 Posts: 0Member
    Looks like it belongs anywhere except Trek...

I have to concur there, even as a possible "alien" ship, it's just not right. looks more post modern (aka less than 50 years in the future) rather than post warp.Looks more in line with Starship troopers, space above and beyond or even Alien, something like that.
  • meugen06meugen06334 Posts: 5Member
    I have to concur there, even as a possible "alien" ship, it's just not right. looks more post modern (aka less than 50 years in the future) rather than post warp.Looks more in line with Starship troopers, space above and beyond or even Alien, something like that.

As my coleague has said earlier,change the subject,or reduce the weapons to proton torpedo launchers and phaser banks.You will need to reduce the wingspan because Trek shuttles didn't had wings that wide.And make the warp nacelles.
  • TugarTugar171 Posts: 0Member
    This is NOT a space fighter or starship. It is meant to operate inside an atmosphere. Warp nacelles would be useless.

Photon torpedoes? Really? As a normal photon torpedo would be the equivalent of setting off a 95 megaton nuke, just where are you going to using them? I personally would not want someone setting off one, let alone several, next to my soldiers. This is a troop ship ( roughly 40-50 soldiers) with some firepower to support them. The front turret has a phaser array and twin phaser cannon. The missiles can easily be photon torpedoes, just not the same yield as the normal ship ones.

Granted it does look a bit starwarish, though it was not intended.
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771268 PNWPosts: 759Member
    I think the main issue people are having is that there's a general, recognizable style to how tech looks in Star Trek. That puts a bit of a limiter on how new designs can be incorporated into an existing, detailed universe. It doesn't need to have warp engines, or the high yield weapons of a star ship. Far from it. But there is a look and feel that's been established since the late 1960s. Some key elements to keep in mind would be the physical design, the propulsion systems, and established weapon systems. Then adapt that to what you're trying to do here.

As they say, the devil is in the details.

I think you may want to take another approach to your craft design if you want to appease your critics. When you go into an established design ethos, the peanut gallery can get pretty nasty.
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    Ok, some you need to redesign your ship, because even as an atmospheric ship, it looks nothing like a Trek ship. It is possible to give her photon torpedoes, they'll just be miniaturized, so they won't be as destructive as a standard Federation ship. Look at the shuttles from Enterprise. They were capable of atmospheric travel, and the had small "wings".

Here's some ideas:
    1. Shorten the wings.
    2. Loose all those unnecessary weapons hanging down. Most weapon emplacements on trek ships are flushed against the hull, not dangling down.
    3. Lose the pipes. I don't even know why those are present.
    4. The ship should be sleeker a bit, even for TMP.
    5. Warp nacelles are NOT a must, despite what meugen60 said. Seeing that this ship is just for "on planet", there is no point giving them warp nacelles.

This ship looks like it belongs in the 1990s, not 23rd Century.

Other than that, it's a neat idea, although I don't know if it would be necessary to create a planet-only ship. :D
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    yeha i would think the weapon systems woudl be more similer to teh comanche helicopter in design
  • BERmaestroBERmaestro2 Posts: 0Member
    I think... that if it is troop ship you must have starship on orbit and than it must be capable of space fligt. It must be slight and quick, get less weapons and add more slight look and decrease number weapon...
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    Hmm..you could redo the timeline and say it was from the Eugenics Wars...or Caprica