Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DNear Future Warship

Robert HarrisonRobert Harrison1 Posts: 16Member
edited December 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Okay been gone a while and i havn't really done much 3d wise in that time but i did reread a set of books by Robert Buettner, a group of books set around the first human war with an alien species. They go from having less space capable craft then we do today to hosting more then 100 1 mile long Warships and fighters, the warships are able to go FTL speeds thanks to black holes... Unless you read the books the technology is a long explanation. Anyway this ship is an idea born from those books (a link is below) They have never really been seen other then one of the cover art used on one book a while ago and even then it was blowing up so not much use...

Taken from the discription in the books i have come up with this design. Now i do not claim that my model is the same one as anything in the books as i said it is an idea born from the books...

A little about it, the ship is 1500 yards long (1371.6 Meters or 0.852 Miles) it has a super structure surrounding a rotating 'tube' that houses the crew quarters, R&R sections C'n'C centers and many training area's. The centre line bay is a long storage bay down the centre which is micro-Gee and this is storage for large gear (tanks). The super structure is also Zero-Gee and houses the Reactors and Main and maneuvering engines. The weapons systems are also mounted there along with 36 2 craft 'shuttle' bays. (The shuttles bays house a fighter and a drop ship on a rotating structure that allows one or the other to be launched.

The weapons will be uprated versions of those on Wet bottom ships, Close in Weapons systems, rapid fire cannons and larger cannons (think Tank, with HE) as well as a a limited amount of rockets)
85868.png
85869.png
85870.png
85871.png
85872.png
Post edited by Robert Harrison on
Tagged:

• JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    Cool. I'm a fan of harder SciFi, and I'll be watching your project with interest.
  • Robert HarrisonRobert Harrison1 Posts: 16Member
    Walkyrje wrote: »
    Cool. I'm a fan of harder SciFi, and I'll be watching your project with interest.

Thank you...

I forgot to say that the sinning module in the centre will be spinning around the central core which is anchored to the front and back plates. It is spun up and maintained by a set of 'cogs' (the pink things). These can be retracted for repairs and at any one time there are four in place (two front two aft) No idea what they are made from yet to stand up to that kind of stress but i might just make something up... you know the rule of cool and all that...

Matthew
    Okay an idea i had for the cog mounts, this hold the cog in place when active and will retract up when repairs are needed...
    85874.png85875.png
  • LockeFPLockeFP171 Posts: 0Member
    You promised a link to the books themselves! I'm fairly sure I've read these, though. Orphan's Saga, right?
    http://www.robertbuettner.com/

Yes sorry here it is, i am just finishing up the last book (for the 4th time since i got them) called Orphan's Triumph...

I hear his new book is out early next year, set in the same universe but with a new set of characters... can't wait...

More updates soon
    I added the launch bays, 36 of them each able to hold two craft (1 fighter and 1 drop ship/shuttle) on a rotating docking cradle.The fighter and drop ship will both be based on the Venture Star shuttlecraft that NASA played around with for a while...

The bays will have doors which will open outwards (two half's). The bay will be in Zero-Gee so rearming and loading them will be dead easy... lifting wise.

No detail yet as it has taken me a day to work out where i was gonna put em. I am also stumped as to what the sensors should look like, the year is 2050 so not to far in the future but i don't want the easy way out of just having 'spikes' and calling them radar...

Idea's please...
    85886.png85887.png
    Okay so the main drive system is a Nuclear thermal rocket engine. In short it is a Nuclear with a sleeve around it where a liquid (in this case Hydrogen) is pumped through the sleeve and super heated before being thrown out the back of the ship. This cane produce a high level of thrust and with a Hydrogen reactor (passing an electric current through water) there is the possibility for refueling from any Water body or rock in space. It is also (depending on the amount of fuel) able to continue firing the entire flight...

This is what i came up with, it is a Nuclear thermal rocket engine for dummies drawing (which is just the right level for me ;) ) just to give you an idea of how it works...

The other image is the first concept drawing i did in MS Paint.
    85888.png85889.png
    For sensors, try parabolic dishes, radomes of various sizes, and lots of antennae.
    Walkyrje wrote: »
    For sensors, try parabolic dishes, radomes of various sizes, and lots of antennae.

And place them where, i did think on the bow of the ship, the bridge will be in the rotating section of the ship... or maybe it could be in the the Zero-Gree i guess on the (top)...
    And place them where(?)

On modern Navy ships, they're mostly on masts, to keep harmful energies they may radiate away from the crew. Perhaps you need sensor masts? Since you're dealing with a more free-flowing environment than the Navy does today, perhaps they need to be on multiple sides of the vehicle?
    Okay so this is an idea for a Radar mast, 5 domes 20 yards across, inside the dome is a 'normal' spinning radar dish set at a different angel so to cover all 3D space around the ship, i am thinking maybe 2 of these. Another one at the from on the bottom. I might have a dome or 4 on the central rotating hull? not sure if that would work very well though...
    85893.png85894.png
    It's a start. :cool:
    This was another idea i had, a sensor net, would have radar threaded through the net. Would mean if it was hit in battle you wouldn't lose the entire system... the done is a observation dome used to pilot the ship should the computers go down.
    85895.png
  • AnthonAnthon0 Posts: 0Member
    Cool. The design is similar to ships in Cherryh's Alliance-Union universe.

th_76709_downbelow_station_122_218lo.jpg
    Thank you, i am just pondering why it is that when i come up with an original idea for a ship design i always find out that someone has beaten me to it?! Could it be that i am all knowing and just didn't know it?
    We all draw from a common well. The things that influence me are also out there to influence you. We may not realize it, but it's very, very hard to break away from the pack and come up with something truly innovative.
    Na i like my idea that i am all knowing:P More updates soon...
    Okay so this is the newest update, it is a sensor mesh/net with 4 masts... the entire thing uses over lapping radar, the diff heights of the masts and locations around the netting gives the entire net a very high level of detail. The ship will have three of these, one forward (don't wanna hit anything after all) one on top and one under neither at the back of the ship. With their heights it should give 360 degree coverage. That being said i might add a 4th some where.
    85939.png85940.png
  • DannageDannage236 Posts: 634Member
    Whenever someone comes up with truly different designs, most people say they're strange and don't like them. I would cite Atolm as an exception to this rule! Stuff is looking okay so far. Hard to give a lot of crits at the moment as the general shapes are fairly geometric at the moment, but interest will come as the details unfold!