Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMy Latest project. _ It's sci-fi really it is.

PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
edited February 2011 in Work in Progress #1
This is the first wip for a new project I'm working on.
It's not much at this stage, but it's growing.
The project is for a steam punk themed poster for a convention in 2012. but the poster needs to be ready by Easter 2011. There is also a small animation for the project as well.
The idea is that "Emily" the cons mascot will stand in front of a wagon, a bit like a snake oil saleswoman. The wagon opens showing signs will all the relevant information, and being full of "wonderious" things.

So this is the beginning of the wagon. All the textures are just place holders. The tray area is currently only half the full width of the wagon, while I work of the basic structure.

As always comments and crits are welcome.
Post edited by Pagrin on
Tagged:

• PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    Sorry for the double post.
    Gotta love it when someone says I'll pick you up at Blar time, so you stop work and get ready........Oh did I say blar, I meant Blar plus and hour because I'm running late.

Anyway. Here's a small update. The main frame work is in place for the wagon itself, and I've put in the seat back. Next is the brake, and seat area.
    I've realized my wagon has no steering but I guess no one will notice in the long run, so rather than change the front end, I'm just going ahead with what I've got.
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    It's shaping up pretty good, nice to see some change of themes here :thumb: Looking forward to seeing this one finished ! If anything, I would add some breaks to the structure hanging above because it looks like it's made from one piece... which of course couldn't be done because no such beams are produced :p
  • LockeFPLockeFP171 Posts: 0Member
    Steering wheel? Wouldn't this be a horse-drawn carriage? If so, you would have the front wheels on a free castor and just steer the horses.
    A little update today.
    The brake and stuff is still to come, but I started working on the signage panels. To a large degree these are just place holders, but they work well enough to show what the final configuration will be.
    The top one simple folds down from where it is.
    The one at the front also just flips out to the position shown.
    the back one is a little more complex. It's in two parts the top part flips out then the bottom half drops down from there.
    I've built a simple hinge onto the back of the lower panel, but this is just a place holder. Given it will only bee seen for a moment in the animation as it all unfolds. I have decided it would be easier to make the hinge part of the Texture map on that panel, rather than model it in detail and run the poly count up for no reason.
    I suspect rigging them to move will be half the fun of this project.
    because no such beams are produced
    Unless they come from a patented beam-o-matic. :p

@ LockeFP She's a steam punked wagon. The only horses will be in the boiler.
    No new visible updates at the moment. Progress has been slow due to my day job beng hectic. but also it's been very steamy here recently so I've not been in the mood as much.
    However I've UV mapped some of the existing work, ready for final textureing.
    OK I got off my butt, errm well actually I've sat on it and actually got a little work done.
    The Brake handle is in place, which I think helps add to the steampunk feel of the wagon itself. I'll texture it in brass and red velvet when the time comes.
    I also started on the "Engine" as such. The gray tank will become the boiler, as I add details. The tray at the bottom is for the fire, but I realized that might be a little impractical, so the second tank is a Gas tank, which will supply burners in the tray instead. Needless to say a lot more stuff needs to be added to this.
    I'm building them all on the right side of the wagon, to work as a back drop to the other "Wonders" on display in the wagon.
    The signs themselves are on separate layers so I turned them off at the moment to give a better view of what I'm working on.

As always comments and crits are welcome.
    latest update.
    The engine has progressed a bit. I have connected the gas tank to the burn tray, which now also has a chimney. There is also a tube running from the gas line to the back of the drivers seat. This will in turn get hooked into a wheel and handle. So that will be the throttle.
    Because there are going to be "Wonders" in the back, and the poster/animation will be for a games convention. I'm going to hide the 6 basic gaming dice in the wonders.
    The sort of stuff people can look at the poster and then start to notice them when they look a second time.
    What do you guys think? Worth the effort?
    More controls added. I have the throttle finished and a steering thing, which wouldn't actually work, but looks enough like it might. I figure that's enough for that area, as when the panels are open it blocks the view anyway.
    Also the boiler has gotten a pressure gauge or two, because you can never go wrong with them on a steam punk machine thingy.
    And the hinges are in place for the panels.
    Now it's on to the panel opening automatons and the "Wonders".

On a side note. I notice that the thread is being viewed, but not commented on. I wonder if this is because the group don't have anything to say about steam punk stuff, or if my stuff is just blar? Oh well.
  • Capt DaveCapt Dave0 Posts: 0Member
    Steam punk still counts as sci-fi. Its just sci-fi of the correct road missed (sorry personal biases show there a bit).
    And a bit more.
    I've started on the little mechanisms which will swing the boards out into place.
    I'll use a counter weight system for the top board. But these side boards ironically will obscure themselves as they open, so details and actually being able to work are not high priorities.

@ Capt Dave
    I have no problem with personal biases, at least you posted so I'm happy. :)
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    I'm keeping my eye on this. I'm hoping for a lot of magnetic coil contraptions, electric thingamajigs, pneumatic watnots and weird imaging doodads. :D
    Well there will be some of that. I have to fill the wagon with "Wonders" after all.
    I do have a nice idea of a sun-dial with a clockwork light attached.
    Another update.
    I've added some more to the winders which open and close the panels.
    I also added in some more beams at the back side of the wagon, partly to give it more strength, but also to help obscure the view beyond the wagon.
    The top sign now has a counter weight to pull it into place as well.

The second image is a simple blocked off area which I'll use to make the "Wonders". Given the Wagon is already 15 layers with several moving parts, I figured it would be easier to build the wonders as completely separate models, which fit into the blue space.
    It'll also help with the rendering latter on.
    Started on a couple of the wonders.
    Although I was thinking the lamp on the sundial looks to plain. I might have to add some more details to it, like a second projector of some sort.
    Also for the observant I've hidden a dice in each wonder.
    It's been a little while. But here's the latest update on the wonders.
    A few more spinny things and a pump.
    I'm thinking a magnetic coil thingy should be next.
    OK a large update of sorts.
    All the elements together for a test render.
    Most of the textures are temp only, while I paint the maps.
    There is a little modeling to go, to give a few of the wonders beams to hang off etc.
    The ground and sky are just temp. There will be a true sky and grass under the wagon which will receive shadows.
    The lighting rig needs a little tweeking yet as well.
    And finally Emily still needs to be added to the scene, once all the current stuff is done.

So what's been added - The electromagnetic coil to produce anti-gravity, a few scissor switches, and a few small detail items here and there.
    The basic animation movement has been worked out and all the levels keyed, including the morph for the pump.

As always comments welcome.
    New update.
    Some of the textures are done. Still a few more to be mapped and painted.
    Sky in place.
    Added the ground and started on the grass effects.
    This is my first time using FibreFX, so I'm learning as I go.
    I got some simple background grass working well and thought I'd add a more details foreground grass. This is the first test render......It seems I need to cut the lawn. It's long enough to cut out most of the lights as well. :rolleyes:
    But still progress is being made.
  • FalinFalin0 Posts: 0Member
    I love Steampunk, it's like Alternate time path SciFi, it still has all the required elements to be SciFi.
    Ok I've cut the grass down to size.
    And done a little more on the texture work.
    However the last map is giving me grief.
    So I should be able to start on the new Emily soon.

@ Falin - Steampunk is huge here in Australia at the moment with the gamers.
    hence the Steampunk poster I guess. There are Steam punk groups starting up all over the place.

• SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    How does the rear panel open over the wheel?
    Pagrin wrote: »
    @ Falin - Steampunk is huge here in Australia at the moment with the gamers.
    hence the Steampunk poster I guess. There are Steam punk groups starting up all over the place.

Oh it's picking up steam in America too.
    Juvat wrote: »
    How does the rear panel open over the wheel?

I was wondering that too, might have to either lower the wheel or have the panels slide out and then open.
    About the panel....errm...ummm. errr. (Shuffles feet.)
    I had already noticed that little error myself when I did the first motion tests. And not mincing words it is an error on my part.
    I had intended to resize the panels slightly to make room for the wheel, because that would be easy to do from a modeling point of view.
    However When I put the basic textures on it with the text in place. I noticed a lot of room on the bottom panel and not much on the rear swinging one.
    If I alter the panel sizes the text will start to look really unbalanced.
    Then I considered the project overall. There will be a poster (Which has the panels fully open.) and a small animated sequence for the awards which will start with the panels closed (like WIP2), and then they open to show the wagon off. So for about 2 or 3 frames the panel merges with the wheel. However Emily will also be standing near that area.
    With that in mind I decided to fudge the little error and leave the panels as is. I might put the wagon up as a download file latter, when the poster art is finished with. If that happens I'll fix the panel size, so other people don't have the same problem.

But thanks for pointing it out guys, that's what feedback is about. :-)

And an update.
    I got the last map working at last. And I've finalized the textures. Now while my system spends the next 24 hours rendering frames. I can start work on Emily who has to stand in front of all this.

Also I've been deliberately not posting the pics of the panels open to the first post, so the thumbnail doesn't contain an ad for the event in the forum, because I basically thought it might be considered a little rude or impolite. Does anyone think I'm over thinking this, or is it the right thing to do?
    OK I've started work On "Emily"
    There are still a few tweeks here and there to make on her, before I start animating.
    However I've just discovered all the wagon renders are the wrong size images, so I have to re-render the 720 frame. Grrrrrr.
  • DannageDannage236 Posts: 634Member
    She looks like she could kill me from thirty yards, but she's well built. :D
    She's not the violent this time. The 2011 artwork she was armed with a sword and hand gun.
    But that's for the comment.:D
    As a side note. The 2011 artwork just caused an interesting response. Anyone who uses Poser will no doubt see I'm using the Aiko 3.0 base character from Daz.
    But imagine my surprise when I got an e-mail from a guy who makes a web comic, claiming I ripped off his character. I've sent him an e-mail to set him straight, and I'll keep you posted if anything interesting develops.
    OK so I finally finished the rendering and compiling into an AVI.
    Here's the first and last frame.
    87596.jpg87597.jpg
    Looks great, i know i'm more picky than your target audience, but that door opening over the wheel still bugs me ;)
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    I love your heroine. She's cute!

I'm just sorry I'm not on the right side of the planet to attend your convention, it looks like fun.
    Thanks for the comments guys.
    @ Falin. Yes the panel and the wheel kinda bug me as well, but this has to screen in a couple of months, and frankly I doubt the audiences ability to notice much more than the 2012, When it first screens. The actual time where the two cross over is about 1/4 of a second. And Emily is hiding much of that.

@ Jenny. I'm glad you like Emily, she's a DAZ figure called Aiko 3.0, with some of the clothing from a range of different locations. :-)
    Here she is on the current artwork. But be careful blink and you miss it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9olTWManhAM
    Don't stress about missing the con. The reason I can post WIPs here is because no one here attends Conquest (As far as I know anyway).

So I guess this thread is closed as the project is finished. I better get cracking on something else.......um...Oh yeah the stuff for me. :-)