Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DLong-Range Attack Frigate [AC3D]

I.g.(.I.g.(.0 Posts: 0Member
edited December 2010 in Work in Progress #1
In a universe where instant FTL jump made the space battles cruels short-range conflicts requiring huge stationary spaceships equipped with hundreds of turrets the Sniper-Ship became just a support to the battle...

Here is it.

1st.png
05.10.10%20copia.png

The ship is supposed to travel alone in the space orbiting around its fleet and following it at one jump distance.
When a battle starts the ship gets the optimal firing distance [1-1.5 light seconds] and strikes tactical targets required by the command with 3 huge lasers.

Because it is always alone, the ship is equipped with a complete set of point defence turrets, short range missiles and fighters, plus all the supplies for 2 weeks of travelling. The ship could also get extra space and features by its duble docking pylon.
In the picture I made just some examples: an hangar, 2 containers and a shuttle.
The docking pylon and all the structures linked could be released in a few seconds to reduce the mass of the ship in case of fast non FTL escape, or if they're too damaged.

The hangar bay in the picture could carry 4 fighters or 2 fighters and a light transport. It could also be converted in extra cargo space. It is opened on the back for loading operations but fighters will have a fast launch system on the side.

I'd really like to thank Stonecold who in these months helped me a lot with the thecnical points of the project, bearing all my stressful messages :)
Thank you man.

The ship is not complete yet:
right now I'm detailing the main Hull and there are other works to be done like complete the hangar and put all the turrets in their position.. then I'll made the fighter.

Comments and critiques are welcome
85749.png
Post edited by I.g.(. on
Tagged:

• Capt DaveCapt Dave0 Posts: 0Member
    Now thats Just Dang Cool! :thumb:
  • StonecoldStonecold331 Posts: 0Member
    Looks awesome, as I`ve said before :) Surely worth the effort. I have never mentioned this, but in such colours, it somewhat resembles "Normandy" from "Mass Effect".

As for critiques... Well, You`ve heard everything I have to tell already ;)
  • I.g.(.I.g.(.0 Posts: 0Member
    Well the colours are just defaults of the program.. maybe when I'll finish the model I'll think to something better like real textures
  • StonecoldStonecold331 Posts: 0Member
    I`m not sure if "real" textures will look better. However, you will never know, untill you try :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    I like it a lot, very clean design. Communicates its purpose very well.
  • AlnairAlnair181 Posts: 255Member
    Excellent design!
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    I have often wondered what a design would be that bridged the gap between smaller capital ships and fighter, and I think you just nailed it. In SFB its a fast patrol ship. This seems between that and a skipray blastboat from SW.

The turrets are unique. I think you could call them waldos. They almost look like exposed robot-mecha--like the NASA robonaut bred with a turret--something operated by gestures from a gunner inside thru telepresence--so it also seems to resemble the ships in the Anime OUTLAW STAR.

A true original.
  • sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    Wow! Very well designed!
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Ha! When I first saw the turret I though of Johnny5. Nice work!
  • I.g.(.I.g.(.0 Posts: 0Member
    Thank you everybody, I'm really happy to read nice comments from such great modellers like you :)

@publiusr : I had to google quite everything you quoted and as aslways I had to notice that here in Italy we're really sci-fi - poor. Skipray blastboat from SW had never landed in Italy, like the anime Outlaw Star neither we got any information about the NASA robonaut...