Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

turn off tooltips??

MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9842 Posts: 5,334Member
tooltips.png
Anyone know how to turn off the annoying tooltips in 3dsmax2010? Moving to win7 they have become even more annoying than before, they get in the way of the buttons and do not register clicks because of it so I am spending more time undoing screw ups cause I think i selected a tool but I have not because of them. It affects the lower buttons most since the tool tips randomly load in different locations across the field. Oddly it was annoying in XP64 but not to this extent, it was ignorable but now Im having to hover wait 5 seconds for the tip to fade then I can click, or I am clicking 3 to 6 times before it selects the tool I want.

Now I have googled for this but can only find methods to kill tool tips on the lamo ribbon (which has been turned off) and other areas of the app but none affect the global UI just specific areas of the app I am not having issues with.
Help files were useless, max forums well you have to sign up for etc, live chat req subscription to extended services and so on.

I know this is not just my system since this happens on a brandnew system my laptop and my old workstation. And none of the hotfixes patches service packs do anything to it either.

I do wonder if this was fixed in 2011, might be what forces me to move.
Post edited by MadKoiFish on
Each day we draw closer to the end.

• rojrenrojren2329 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,978Member
    Have you tried your reseller?

It's gotten where if you don't have a subscription, you don't get squat from Autodesk. Even with a subscription you can't get user manuals, or a help file that's worth a crap. Multi-thousand dollar software that doesn't even come with a pamphlet? Pathetic.
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    The tooltips dont stay open that long in 2011, at least it looks that way to me. They still appear rather quickly though...you can kill the Ribbon's tooltips, but since you aren't using it..:/
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9842 Posts: 5,334Member
    Well I don't care about them showing up it is if they interfere with clicking on things like in 2010. I think it is all tied to the OS, and since WIN7 will not get the ability to kill tooltips on the UI level until net4.0 I'm in limbo, I think.

My vendor knowing how to use the one of hundreds of apps they sell, yeah SURE. Dont mean to sound an asshat but I want a solution not suggestions of who to ask. I have exhausted all venues short of posting repeated threads on the discrete forums before I get or IF I get an answer.
  • rojrenrojren2329 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,978Member
    I beg your pardon. I have had a very good relationship with our, apparently more knowledgeable than average, reseller. They have been of great help over the years.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9842 Posts: 5,334Member
    Expecting a vendor to provide software support is like expecting the car salesman to teach you how to drive and change out the automatic transmission.
    I get my max from a client, he gets it in bulk,well if 12~20 copies is bulk. (licenses, I think he only gets a few hard copy discs I never worked for him in that part of the business) So the vendor is a bulk supplier for gods know how many other apps. I think this guy even supplies the studio with HDW. Either way. :shrug:

EDIT
    Ok solution, exp since the tooltips getting in the way in 2011 is even worse. Turn off tool tip fade. This eliminates it in 2010 and minimizes it greatly in 2011. This seems to be a issue in more than just max with aps using these crap runtimes to save on code or paying real programmers. dunno hah. Good example is in Fire Fox leaving tooltips all over the desktop.