Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Cannot get surface to appear on spline cage. 3D MAX PLS HELP

devron6devron6171 Posts: 0Member
Hello,

I've created a spline cage and I cannot get the surface to appear when adding the surface modifier. if someone could please help that be great.

Picture is in attachment.
85031.jpg
Post edited by devron6 on

• MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Hmm I'm not sure, but try turning off the "Show in viewport" in the Rendering options of the spline.
  • devron6devron6171 Posts: 0Member
    Hello,

I should of clerified that in this image I do not have the surface modifier applied because it just makes everything go away, I simply just posted a picture of the spline because I am most likely doing something wrong.

thanks
  • matt/mathiasmatt/mathias0 Posts: 0Member
    yes the surface modifier will only work if if there only is 3 or 4 corners.
    I can see that the your model have a lot of vertex when the spline curves, and the modifier can only make surface where there is 3 or 4 vertex.
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Speaking about lots of vertices, how did you even make those splines, I find it uncomfortable enough to build a symmetric spline cage with as few as possible vertices :/

But Matt's right, reducing it to 3-4 vertices per "face" works - although the poly output isn't all that nice looking. You might be better of just building the rim this way and capping the top and bottom after creating the surface.

20101008194348clipboard.jpg
  • CoolhandCoolhand288 Mountain LairPosts: 1,298Member
    imho, stop using spline cages, they're a slow, fiddly, outdated and basically a rubbish way of modelling.
  • StarshipStarship466 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,978Member
    Coolhand wrote: »
    imho, stop using spline cages, they're a slow, fiddly, outdated and basically a rubbish way of modelling.

Steve IA’m not half good as you in modelling, but I believe itA’s not enterelly true, at least, not in sketchup. There you can achieve very good results with splines in a short time. I tryed to do it myself, and it works. It takes a little time for you to adapt yourself and do the things by the better way, but you can do it. ;)
    Later, you can import the mesh in max and do the final work, textures and to add the lights.