Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DThe Great Experiment

madeinjapan1988madeinjapan19880 Posts: 0Member
edited October 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Well Folks,

I'm back. As some might have been aware, I departed 4 months ago for the United States Navy's Officer Candidate School. Three weeks ago I returned home a newly commissioned ensign. It was and remains the best decision of my life.

Now enough about that. Lets get to the art. My next project can most likely be guessed between the title of the thread and the image. Hope you enjoy watching this one shape up.

the_great_experiment____by_madeinjapan1988-d2zyujp.jpg
Medium View: http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/275/7/4/the_great_experiment____by_madeinjapan1988-d2zyujp.jpg
Full View: http://www.deviantart.com/download/181344805/the_great_experiment____by_madeinjapan1988-d2zyujp.jpg
84938.jpg
Post edited by madeinjapan1988 on
Tagged:

• Capt. Eric GardnerCapt. Eric Gardner339 Posts: 109Member
    My friends....the Great Experiment....the Excelsior...ready for trial runs...and supposed to have Transwarp Drive
  • stfanboystfanboy67 Posts: 388Member
    Congrats on the becoming a ensign. I like the Design.
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    Best AR Excelsior I have ever seen.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
  • FlankerFlanker0 Posts: 0Member
    Wonderful job on the alternative look of Excelsior and also congratulations on graduating as a ensign, any news on where you will be deployed? If that is not classified of course.

Ow and hope to see more updates on Chronicles of Man as well ;)
  • madeinjapan1988madeinjapan19880 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks all for the positive feedback. Its great to be back again. Here is a update with the early stages of coloring. Still lots of detail left of course.

the_great_experiment__in_color_by_madeinjapan1988-d2zzwzj.jpg
    FULL SIZE: http://www.deviantart.com/download/181394623/the_great_experiment__in_color_by_madeinjapan1988-d2zzwzj.jpg
  • James MidsenJames Midsen62 Posts: 0Member
    I like this idea, of updating existing ships to the AR created by Abrahms...
    I'll be following this.
    If my grandmother had wheels she'd be a wagon. :lol: Madeinjapan1988, do you have anymore JJ style ships besides this one and the Newton?
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Gratulations, sir. ;)(

Nice work with the JJ-xelsior
  • PixelMagicPixelMagic471 Posts: 663Member
    Hey, you're back! Nice looking design, btw.
  • RogerdRogerd0 Posts: 0Member
    Been lurking here for ages. Love the work and good to see it back.
  • KazukiFennecKazukiFennec0 Posts: 0Member
    Congratulations on your commission, and, at the risk of being mobbed... I actually like the look of this better than the original Excelsior.
  • madmacsmadmacs0 Posts: 0Member
    Congratulations on your commission, as well. I know you worked extremely hard for it.

I like your concept, very clean and nice lines, very well done. I find that saucer section, though, does have some lines that are still a bit Ol'Excelsior. I find, your earlier amazing starship designs were quite more Josh. If I may, take a look a "Don't Shoots" concept of the same. I hope it can provide more food for thought.
  • Capt. Eric GardnerCapt. Eric Gardner339 Posts: 109Member
    stfanboy wrote: »
    If my grandmother had wheels she'd be a wagon.

Come come, stfanboy...young minds, fresh ideas, be tolerent.
    Scooty really hated the ship. I loved it when i first saw it.
  • BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    I have to say that while the AR Enterprise had pretty big nacelles compared to the original, this version has HUGE nacelles. The original Excelsior compensated the long nacelles by being a bit flatter... I would suggest to move the pylons up and more to the front a bit to convey more of that Excelsior feeling.

In all honesty... I'm not really a fan of that nacelle. It has too much Enterprise written all around it and not so much Excelsior, apart from being long and big: there's no grille on top, no blue streak running around, actually nothing at all that links it to it's Excelsior heritage. When comparing the two different nacelles of the Enterprise, you can find a certain "why" as to how it was designed; I'm missing that "why" feeling here.

The rest of the design, though, flows very naturally from one shape into the other; I'm digging that a lot, as that really reminds me of how the Excelsior looked when I saw it for the first time. Not too keen about more than halving the neck ribbing, but I guess I can live with that :)
  • RekkertRekkert4052 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,305Member
    Wow, looks great! Have to agree with Borgman about the nacelle, but I love the rest of the ship and it really feels like the Excelsior class of the AR.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • Capt.HunterCapt.Hunter331 Posts: 71Member
    I think it looks great. Is it your intention that this ship be the next step to the Constitution Class in the NR, or is it just the newest design that Starfleet is putting into service?
    Any updates?
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    I like the saucer fine, and the secondary hull as well. Reminds me a bit of Perception. Perhaps some elements of that might be added in terms of detail...

How about having the nacelles break apart in the middle, and terminate into clusters of antenna like spikes? For a section 31 spy type ship?
  • joelcannjoelcann0 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice indeed...love the design and am looking forward to the continued progress.