Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DDaniels Class - Experimental Drive

Don't ShootDon't Shoot391 Posts: 117Member
edited November 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Hi,

This time I'd be going on a whole different direction.
This ship is a 25th century vessel designed to test a new sublight speed warp drive.
The idea is not to make a faster going ship but an extraordinary meanuvarble craft utilizing small warp naccles that create a warp bubble around the ship without going into faster than light speeds and only bending space around the vessel to increase impulse engines output for sudden and brief jumps.

As for the modeling part, no I'm not reverting into a newbie, I just want you to get a look at the model lines before I get into serious modeling which will make changes in the design frustrating.
Anyway, since I'm not fixed on this praticular form I will apreciate any ideas for changes and improvements before I start getting on with the model and details.
Post edited by Don't Shoot on
Tagged:

• Don't ShootDon't Shoot391 Posts: 117Member
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Welcome back Nir! How the life is going?
    ItA’s an interesting start. Question: do you have something jinned to the wings, or they will stay just the way it is (except, of course, the details youA’A’l be adding there)? I believe that you need to join something that remember a nacelle, but smaller.
    The central body is to much dark, and I canA’t see it clearlly. ;)

PS: News about the Immense class remake? :)
    well, everything's going well... been neglecting my modeling hobby for a while but now I got the appetiate for it again.

Anyway, "the wings" are actually a sensor pod, like the one ontop of the Nebula Class, only more advanced.
    As for the Immense Class, I don't see myself returning to that for now, but maybe in the future and the reason is simple - when I started it I did it mainly because I was not happy with the textured windows but when I tried modeling all of them I came to realize that my computer can't handle the job so I need to wait until computers are strong enough for that kind of details
    ... I need to wait until computers are strong enough for that kind of details

I believe it wonA’t take so long :lol:
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    Great design. Everything segmented out well.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    A singular Bussard ramscoop? Intersting concept. Looking forward how that evolves. I do hope, though, the central stuff that's currently black will be lightened, it does look a bit odd right now.
    Odd is what I'm going for... unconventional and different so until I figure out the final shapes there'll be plenty of odd.

Anyway, I'm still at early stages with this and don't want start detailing until I'm sure about the overall form.
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Nice cloaking device. ;)

Interesting concept and I'm looking forward to seeing this develop. :)
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    like the concept, but current thinking (threw various resources) that impulse isn't just the exahaust port.. it includes the structial integrity field, inertial dampaners, and a mass reducer (think the first episode of DS9 when they moved the station on 3 thrusters) to where a single, small exhaust can propel the ship up to 1/2 light speed in short order (25% limited on Tng, i think) and stop on a relative dime. taking mass and inertia out of the equation.

though i love the concept of a warp drive for sublight speeds, becasue with warp drive, you take out the realtivistic effects out of the equation, becasue you are "technically" at rest, space is moving around you. so this would work great for ships that need to be at impulse speeds for long periods of time, through nebula, areas where warp speed is impossible etc. so they can step on the gas pedal to 90% c without the time problems going that fast. Good work!
  • James MidsenJames Midsen62 Posts: 0Member
    Very interesting. Very different, while maintaining Starfleet looks. I think I'm in love with it. Very honestly, different-looking Starfleet designs are rare. Wish we had more like you. I look forward to seeing how this goes.
    Alrighty now, added some sensor blocks to the sensor pod, a begining of a bridge and registry tag
    85051.jpg
    Deflector assembly infrastructure and RCS thrusters...
    85053.jpg85054.jpg
    yes I know, she's starting to look light some sort of jetfighter... that's intentional - remember, this ship is all about speed
    85055.jpg
    wasn't too crazy about the shape of the secondary hull, too boxy, so I decided to round it up a little....
    Hope it looks better
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Impressive work, I love that.
  • LockeFPLockeFP171 Posts: 0Member
    I'm having a bit of trouble with the bussard pod. Everything looks good until that comes into the equation, and then it seems like something from Buck Rogers stuck on the back of a Trek ship. Not the concept (which is interesting!) but the actual part itself. Perhaps if you reversed the sweep on the pod's wings (sensor palettes?) and made the round shape into a sort of diamond cross-section part, with some rounding on the edges it would look more like a Trek ship (to me).

Other than that, great job!
    Sorry, but the pod is part of the concept, maybe when it'll progress in details you would like it better...
    85322.jpg
    right now I going for the Sovereign class style deflector with a touch of my own and a tribute to the older blue deflectors of past designs
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Looking great so far ! :thumb: I like the shape of the whole vessel very much. The grills around deflector seem a bit odd because the dark middle part that's sticking out is bigger than the rest of the hull, making the blue parts appear very thin.
    Are those hexagons modeled in, or textured on? I'm digging your deflector, there. I'm guessing the center raised dais is going to incorporate some sort of dish like the Sovereigns, as well, right?
    first of all, you're rigt, the panels look thin - however, although the swift shape is misleading, this ship is enourmous so in the overall state the panels aren't that thin compared to their thickness on a smaller scale vessel.

Anyway, here's an update to your question. and the center will have a particle fountain that isn't yet modeled. oh, and yes, the grill is modeled, not textured - I tend to do things the hard way :)
    Looks very good Nir!
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    first of all, you're rigt, the panels look thin - however, although the swift shape is misleading, this ship is enourmous so in the overall state the panels aren't that thin compared to their thickness on a smaller scale vessel.

Anyway, here's an update to your question. and the center will have a particle fountain that isn't yet modeled. oh, and yes, the grill is modeled, not textured - I tend to do things the hard way :)

The hard way always looks better
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
  • commandersozocommandersozo492 Posts: 628Member
    ^
    yep! soemtimes only the hard way leads to the success.
    btw. awesome artwork, don't shoot!
    What was your method for creating the hexagons? I simply refuse to believe there was any way to do that which wasn't time consuming! And what do you mean by "particle fountain"? Some sort of effects-based stuff?
  • Capt DaveCapt Dave0 Posts: 0Member
    yar, this be some serious coolness here! :thumb:
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Very cool ship, I have to disagree though. I would take modeling those grilles over texturing them any day :lol:
    LockeFP wrote: »
    What was your method for creating the hexagons? I simply refuse to believe there was any way to do that which wasn't time consuming!

Laziness pays off :)
    1. Make the grille, with for example...the script I made cause I was lazy :p
    http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/hexlattice

2. Add some segments with say, the connect tool.

3. Slice off a bit on 2 sides of the grille, so the ends match up.

4. Use the bend modifier :)
    ok, first of all, I cannot believe you've made up a script for modeling hexagons - ultra cool but too late for me :D
    The method I used is really quite simple:
    1) I made up one hexagon
    2) made instaces copies of it and spread them all around the original with edges of each touching the other
    3) select and instance all of them and paste them around the original group and so on and so on until I got the entire section covered
    4) edited the original hexagon to make it a bit smaller so there forms a space between them
    5) booleaned all the shapes into the section of the hull I wanted to have the grid

anyway, as for the particle fountain:
    Many ppl confuse the deflector dish for beign some sort of a giant sensor platform which is understandable since the original Enterprise's dish looked like a giant satelite dish. However the role of the dish is much more importent, in fact, it's the most importent peice of the ship because no ship would be able to fly through space at high speeds without it. The idea of the dish is to disperse an energy coating around the ship (called the deflector shields) and by that to shield it againt incoming objects, and no, weapon fire is not the main thing the shields protect the ship from. Incoming high velocity space debry and tiny particles are much more dangerous to the ship. That is why it's the most energy consuming system the ship has. So, now that we understand what is the deflector the next question is what is the particle fountain?
    Basicly since the deflector is so powerfull it can be used as a weapon. For example if you want to fire a massive energy beam onto an "unsuspecting" borg cube to destroy your assimilated captain. The problem is that the deflector is designed to disperse the energy and particles and not to focus it.
    The particle fountain is that focusing instrument.
    Okay, well, what I was really asking was what it was gonna look like. I know what the deflector array is intended for . . .
    oh :), in that case, I haven't decided yet - but it'll look cool