Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DGECCO concept ship

T2T20 Posts: 0Member
edited December 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Gecco+concept+ship03.jpg
Post edited by T2 on
Tagged:

• Mikey-BMikey-B0 Posts: 0Member
    Wow! Really cool! Do they use GEICO? ;)
  • liam887liam887322 SwedenPosts: 575Member
    looks good are you sure the fans are big enough for the size of the aircraft tho?
  • T2T20 Posts: 0Member
    Gecco+concept+ship.jpg
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    Slightly reminded of Avatar....
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
  • Soran77Soran770 Posts: 0Member
    Nice is it one of the craft from Avatar?
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    Nah, this one actually looks as if it could fly.
  • LockeFPLockeFP171 Posts: 0Member
    publiusr wrote: »
    Nah, this one actually looks as if it could fly.

So you say the one's in Avatar could not?
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    LockeFP wrote: »
    So you say the one's in Avatar could not?
    the one sin avy the fans were to small for it
  • psCargilepsCargile417 Posts: 620Member
    One thing about tall landing gear is that maintainers can easily get under the craft to pull panels and get at parts.
  • i like this tricopter concept... why do you use a tail rotor?
    No texture
    WIP.jpg
  • BradMickBradMick331 Posts: 0Member
    colbmista wrote: »
    the one sin avy the fans were to small for it

Really like the concept.

On the subject of the fans, using the lift equation as a guide:

Lift = Cl * 1/2rho * S * V^2

where Cl is the coefficient of lift ( a dimensionless number derived from wind tunnel testing)
    rho is air density in kilograms/m3
    S is surface area in square meters
    V is velocity in m/s

So long as the blades are of sufficient surface area and moving at an appropriate velocity and optimized for generating the required lift, the fans in Avatar are more than reasonable. The biggest thing is the design of the blade. All non-symmetrical blades produce some form of lift at flat pitch, depending on the amount of camber, that balde could be producing a lot of lift prior to pulling pitch. To lift my Apache, at 18600-ish pounds, requires a 48ft diameter rotor system spinning at roughly 292rpm. Now, this puts us up there on the torque required, but thats all that's required to lift that sucker and give me a pretty decent rate of climb. So, wow, derailed myself...anyway, i'd say it's not so much the size of the fans that would be the deciding factor, it'd be the overall surface area of the blade available, its operating speed, and the overall coefficient of lift of the blade (or the design of the blade). Blade element theory sucks, and I won't pretend to say i've actually worked that kind of math, but...it's more than reasonable, and considering so much of the stuff in Avatar is explained away by the fact that pandora is a 'low gravity world' its definatlye within all possibility to be pretty accurate.

BradMick
    Put some wheels on that. Moving that thing around without them would be a stone-cold bitch.
    Gecco+concept+ship+%2528Hornos+Tamas%2529+02.jpg

Gecco+concept+ship+%2528Hornos+Tamas%2529.jpg
    Well, I like the fan version, myself. The rotor version just seems too . . . 1990's cheesy scifi.

And as a side note: keep in mind that for something like a prop or rotor system to work properly, the tips of the blades can never reach more than the speed of sound. If they begin to break the sound barrier, they start creating supersonic shockwaves behind them, which interferes with the blade behind that, and so on. This creates an instability in the prop and all kinds of bad things start happening. For one thing, you can rip the blades right off of the hub, or you could possibly overpower in one direction and start groundlooping. It's a hairy situation.

Anyway, back on topic: there's no reason not to have a tailrotor on the fan version. It could help in stability. It isn't strictly necessary, but it also doesn't hurt to have it.
    Studio render (test)
    Gecco+concept+ship+studio+render+rotor+teszt+Hornos+Tamas.png