Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Linking spline points to objects in 3ds Max 9

Toa_KaitaToa_Kaita332 Posts: 0Member
Ive recently learned how to create an awesome phaser effect in 3ds Max using a particle system, a line, and several omni lights. Here is the test render: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drY58D_3-UM

But here's the problem. I can link the line (as a whole) that the particles follow to the omni light coming from the phaser's starting position, but is there any possible way to link one point to one omni light, and the other point to the other omni light? Because I cant seem to find a way to do it.

Thanks in advance,
-Toa Kaita
Post edited by Toa_Kaita on

• MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    I can't think of a way to do that to the spline right now - any chance your phaser method would still work with a (thin?) cylinder?
    That's real easy to do...create a "Hose" object, select your two omni lights as binding objects, and set the tension to 0.

20100822130015clipboard.jpg
  • Toa_KaitaToa_Kaita332 Posts: 0Member
    Tried that but it didnt work. The method I used in the video was creating a line and a super spray particle system, and then binding the Super Spray to a Path Follow space warp using the line as my path. The space warp doesnt work with geometry it seems.
  • CoolhandCoolhand289 Mountain LairPosts: 1,298Member
    hose is a little clumsy... there is a way to link splines as the OP requested, i'm sure it was called x-link or something back in the day... you could make the end of a spline follow any object, very useful. but i can't find anything on it now. perhaps 'spline IK' might help?
  • Toa_KaitaToa_Kaita332 Posts: 0Member
    I'll give that a try. Thanks! :D