Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DSS Robert Goddard

walpurgiswalpurgis181 Posts: 0Member
edited August 2010 in Work in Progress #1
this is the latest incarnation of an Idea Ive been sitting on for a couple of years- a trek ship with a ring shaped nacelle I realise that others have done this concept before but I like my version anyway:)
any how here she is: the SS Robert Goddard.
83591.png
83592.png
Post edited by walpurgis on
Tagged:

• commandersozocommandersozo492 Posts: 628Member
    nice concept! look forward to see it more developed ...
  • walpurgiswalpurgis181 Posts: 0Member
    thanks!
    unfortunately, I have no idea where to go from here
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    I recall such an idea from the BC-filefront, where someone thought about how it would've been if the Vulcans had far more influence on the human spaceflight projects.

I like the idea, having a ring-shaped warp-engine.
  • walpurgiswalpurgis181 Posts: 0Member
    I think I first picked up the idea of a ring-shaped nacelle from "The Furry Conflict" a rather silly, though well written and interesting SW/ST crossover fanfic (and associated website) which is now, sadly, defunct.
    anyhow, ever since then Ive been designing various ships with (a) ring shaped nacelle(s). the Goddard actually started out as a modified oberth- class starship, with a single nacelle running all the way around the command hull
  • liam887liam887322 SwedenPosts: 575Member
    before you go any further you should have more segments in the saucer and ring sections, it ill spoil the overall design when its done!
    Great concept tho.
    I usually find 32 segments does the trick and then smoothen the edges, if you haven't got a clue what im talking about ill write a little tutorial for you now would only take a few mins?
    Its a bit messy but you will get the idea. Use this to make more complex shapes and hull designs or when you get to the end of the model you will regret not doing so!
    83603.jpg
  • sojournersojourner0 Posts: 0Member
    ^You have steps 3 and 4 reversed. Also, when creating the the circle/arc you can just type in for example 60s before making the final mouse click in the circle creation. This will set the default number of side for your circles to 60 for the rest of the session of Sketchup. (you can obviously change it again on subsequent circle/arc functions)
    sojourner wrote: »
    ^You have steps 3 and 4 reversed. Also, when creating the the circle/arc you can just type in for example 60s before making the final mouse click in the circle creation. This will set the default number of side for your circles to 60 for the rest of the session of Sketchup. (you can obviously change it again on subsequent circle/arc functions)

oops lol didnt realize, well you get the ida i only threw it together in a few mins, once you have increased the segmentation you can soften the edges slightly too will help if you plan on rendering!
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    It reminds me a bit of the ship from the PLANETARY TRAVELLER DVD