Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DA Call to Arms Universe

Mister KMister K171 Posts: 0Member
edited September 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Hello everybody!

I'm a little bit excited because this is my first thread here on SFM so... please be kind. :)

A few years ago I decided to create my own little sci-fi universe.
It's set in the year 2186 CE and deals with a tremendously conflict, the so called "Great Solar War" or "Great War", between the two major powers of the sol-system: the Earth Alliance on the one side and the Union of Independent Colonies on the other side.

In this thread I will post images of the workhorses of the "Great War": the space warships.

I hope you'll like them. C & C are welcome! :D
83611.jpg
Post edited by Mister K on
Tagged:

• Mister KMister K171 Posts: 0Member
    Part 2! This ship gets a mid-section and a class name. Say hello to the Aeolus-Class Space Frigate EAS MINOTAUR.
    83263.jpg83273.jpg
    Et viola, the Aeolus is finished!
    83286.jpg
  • salsasalsa171 Posts: 0Member
    That's a nice looking concept sketch. I'd actually like to see this inked and colored. as it is though, it looks like one of those sketches that you see in art books for the preliminary designs for star ships.
    Thank you salsa :D Well, I actually planned to create all these ships by using my good old graphite pencil only. I never worked with inks on such a drawing but... who knows... one of the vehicles I'm planning in the moment, a shuttle or another small craft, could be the first to be inked - and colored ;)

Meanwhile I improved the appearance of the Aeolus.
    83611.jpg
    Everything in the universe needs a counterpart. Here is the Union of Independent Colonies answer to the Aeolus-Class - the Trebuchet-Class Space Frigate.
    83814.jpg
  • Lee80Lee80193 Posts: 458Member
    nice designs so far.
    The Trebuchet is finished. She has now weapons, engines and a name - ICS WARSPITE.
    83815.jpg
  • FlankerFlanker0 Posts: 0Member
    Interesting designs :) will be nice to see a front view but I am guessing they are 'dagger' shaped so sleek and deadly?
    thank you very much, Lee80 and Flanker! :D

@ Flanker - Yes indeed! At least the Alliance warships are dagger shaped. The Union ships look more like tuning forks with two annexes on starbord and port for the primary radiator wings and the engine nacelles.

I also tried to create a front view of the Aeolus and Trebuchet - but it was much more difficult than I thought :lol:

But to give you a better impression of the ships, I commenced to create a dorsal view of them - starting with the Aeolus. I hope you like it.

Oh... and yes - they are deadly! :cool:
    84452.jpg
  • DannageDannage236 Posts: 634Member
    The Aeolus improves each time we see it, with the lines sharpening up. Might be an idea to invest in some technical pens and even if you don't colour these designs in, get some bolder outlines. The first couple of sketches looked like the scanner had washed out all the detail. :)

Nice designs, though I wasn't sure whether I was originally looking at side or top views. My suggestion (since I always find this sort of thing more useful than "yeah, nice") would be to give us at least very rough outlines of how these ships look in 3/4 view, or 3D. :) I have a friend who could always draw lovely images on side or top views but could never see 3 dimensions in his own head, and when I would turn some of his blueprints into 3D models he would start disliking them, because sometimes what looks good from two angles looks worse from a third!

So, I suggest some simple and undetailed 3d sketches for both ships, then use those to help you flesh out those lovely looking details you've got going on!

Keep going. :)
    Thank you very, very much Dannage! :D :D
    and you're right... damned scanner! i will buy some tech pens soon, so my next designs will definitely have sharper lines - and that's really necessary for them.

your suggestion of a 3/4 view is a very good idea. i already created some, very, very basic 3/4 sketches of the Aeolus - so i'm quite pleased about her appearance - but i will improve them. so, it's just a matter of days until you can enjoy her sight from bow, side and top (or bottom) at the same time :lol:
    84616.jpg