Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAn other STMP drydock

RayonxRayonx331 Posts: 0Member
edited July 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Since i've started playing around with my and others versions of the enterprise, i could never put my hand on a good drydock mesh, at least one that i could convert to maya. So i start modeling one from the same references images Tobias is using. Here is the result of my spare time working on this.

Note: as my computer is showing its age, and my place temperature is well abov 35A°c (no A/C), this is the version without the modeled greebles on the "ceiling" of the dock. I have the greebles in an other file. Maybe i try a render when the my place is cooler.

the enterprise model used in some of the pictures is from Dennis Bailey, just to set the lighting and lights arms right.

Seeing the progress on Tobias version, i'll would not compare mine to his. I am far behind in quality.
Anyway c&c always welcome.
82900.jpg
82901.jpg
Post edited by Rayonx on
Tagged:

• BuckaroohawkBuckaroohawk2 Posts: 0Member
    Well, everything looks okay to me. The thing about the TMP drydock is how crazy do you want to get with the details. The original filming model was greebled out the wazoo, from the upper deck all the way down to the framework connecting cables. It was, like the model of the Enterprise itself, one of the most amazing miniatures ever built for a film. Most people never saw all that detail, though. Perhaps in fleeting glances, but never really long enough for most viewers to take in. That leads to the question of how far you want to take the project. A perfectly serviceable model can be built with just enough detail for most people to say, "yep, that's the TMP drydock." Tobias is a tried-and-true completist who wants to make his models as close to the real thing as possible; which is cool because his work is outstanding. There's no law that you have to drive yourself insane with the placement of every little detail, though. The best advice I can give is make the model to your satisfaction and try not to sweat the small stuff too much.
  • RayonxRayonx331 Posts: 0Member
    Agreed with you.
    I'll try to stay just a bit insane.
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter333 Posts: 0Member
    That is a nice drydock. I think it could use some more detail, but that is entirely up to you.
    ItA’s funny how this whole thing comes to life once the big E is inside.
    That is a nice drydock. I think it could use some more detail, but that is entirely up to you.
    ItA’s funny how this whole thing comes to life once the big E is inside.

Yep! With the Enterprise inside the drydock it's just like a garage housing a beautiful classic car.
    Took the advice.
    Added details and panels to the sides of the ceilling.
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter333 Posts: 0Member
    nice - but PLEASE get rid of that star texture in the background!
    Ok can do.
    82982.jpg
    The image is much better without the starfield background, and the drydock looks good but it's a tad too red. You may want to lighten it up with just a tinge of orange. That might help bring out some extra detail.

Back to the starfield image. I don't use Maya so I'm not sure if it has a feature like this, but in MAX there is a video post plugin that generates a full starfield effect. It's far superior than using environment maps because the stars don't flicker or pixelate. If Maya doesn't have a similar feature, then I suggest setting the material maps you use as backgrounds to a "screen" setting for still images. That should keep them from looking so blurry, as long as the maps are a decent size to begin with, that is.
    The background is a an environnement map used for global illumination in mentalray for maya. It is wrap an odd way in the frame. The second image is just the same as the first, the background cleared by the alpha channel in post.

There is not a tool in maya as powerful as the video post in MAX. Something i regret, especially for the lens flares.

I'll look at the materials.
    A little update.
    Almost redone the light panel to add some details and bevel.

And i just notice the specular was off on the key light for the last renders.
    83068.jpg
    Again an update.
    Details and greebles added on the structure.
    Already 1,200,00 polygons!!
    83069.jpg
    Just started over all the details of the ceiling.
    83091.jpg
  • StarshipStarship466 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,977Member
    ItA’s awesome!
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,283Member
    Nice progress. Make sure to study the reference images carefully. Once you've identified the pattern for the greebles it's actually quite simple.
    That's exactly what i'm looking at. There seem to be just a handfull of patterns.
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,283Member
    Exactly. Once you've figured out the different panels and how they're distributed it's a piece of cake.