Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DU.S.S. Resurrection, WIP...

F9thCenturusF9thCenturus331 Posts: 5Member
edited April 2012 in Work in Progress #1
I posted a couple images of this model in the What Are You Up To thread, and got a couple good reviews.

So I thought maybe the model, even though it's incomplete, might be good enough to show to people, so here are some new renders.
83222.jpg
Post edited by F9thCenturus on
Tagged:

• PerfectAgent007PerfectAgent007331 Posts: 0Member
    Looks pretty close to the Connie Refit except for some saucer profiling. But it looks great either way IMO. Are you gonna move forward with this or are you just posting what you finished way back?
  • F9thCenturusF9thCenturus331 Posts: 5Member
    Gonna move forward. I'm trying to think of how to design the impulse engines. Not sure how I want them to look. I also need to build a micro torpedo turret where the sensor dome used to be, and then gotta build the warp nacelle joints, and then build phaser arrays, torpedo launchers, and then after that, gotta see where next to do. Oh yeah, docking ports.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    Here are some candidates for your consideration:

http://www.ottens.co.uk/forgottentrek/images/TMP/P-2Ent-5.jpg
    http://www.ottens.co.uk/forgottentrek/images/TMP/re-3.gif The three vent impulse fits nicely with your saucer
    http://www.ottens.co.uk/forgottentrek/tmp_1.php

I like what you have going on atop the saucer--it reminds me of the Lexington from Starfleet command a bit.
    I like the width of the pylon, and the phase II type torpedo bay I linked to in redbellpeppers starship.

You know, a turret like a hybrid MTHEL/FLIR ball might look nice in place of the lower sensor dome.

I wonder if you might have hexagonal plates making up the interior of your round deflector dish--a kind of way to combine phased array tech and good old fashioned dishes.
    publiusr wrote: »
    Here are some candidates for your consideration:

http://www.ottens.co.uk/forgottentrek/images/TMP/P-2Ent-5.jpg
    http://www.ottens.co.uk/forgottentrek/images/TMP/re-3.gif The three vent impulse fits nicely with your saucer
    http://www.ottens.co.uk/forgottentrek/tmp_1.php

I like what you have going on atop the saucer--it reminds me of the Lexington from Starfleet command a bit.
    I like the width of the pylon, and the phase II type torpedo bay I linked to in redbellpeppers starship.

You know, a turret like a hybrid MTHEL/FLIR ball might look nice in place of the lower sensor dome.

I wonder if you might have hexagonal plates making up the interior of your round deflector dish--a kind of way to combine phased array tech and good old fashioned dishes.

The first two links you posted are showing as forbidden, but I think I have the images you were trying to show.

I like that back part of the saucer as well. I made it to be more akin to the aft dorsal of a Sovereign Class saucer, but I had totally forgotten about the Lexington Class as well.

I was thinking of a 3 vent impulse assembly to be honest, and now that you mentioned it, I might go with it.

Your idea for the turret, do you think you could post an image of what you suggested? I can't seem to quite picture it, but it sounds very interesting.
    On the last link--the one that works for you, scroll down and look at the left for impulse deck variations:

The lower sensor dome might look better as this turret:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_YAL-1
    I know it's been a while. I haven't had access to the main computer, which seems to be a trend these days. Anyway, I started doing some prelim work on the impulse engine design. Not sure if this is something I'm gonna keep. I'm gonna actually create the triple vent assembly that Publiusr had suggested and see if that works or not with the design.

Anyway, here's a WIP of the impulse engines.
    83008.jpg
    Made some phasers for the saucer.
    83020.jpg83021.jpg
    Oh, and yes, I am gonna work more on the impulse engines. I'm gonna try a few different things and see which I like best.
    I've finished the phaser arrays on the ship, made the warp joints for the warp nacelles, and now, settled on a design for the impulse engines. I quite like how these came out. Up next I'm going to tackle the torpedo turret emplacement where the old sensor dome would normally have been located.

Hope someone likes the work so far.
    83128.jpg83129.jpg83130.jpg
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    The impulse still looks a bit strange... Maybe two of them recessed could fit better.

You can evolve to something between this design and the "USS James T Kirk", a concept from Atolm (Chris Reyes): http://brstarship.wordpress.com/2009/10/13/atolm%c2%b4s-creations-part-1/

Just my two cents. ;)
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,567Member
    Nice work... is this class of ship from STO?
    @Starship: I had originally contemplated a similar design to what you had suggested, and tried a couple variations that I didn't show, and I never really liked any of them. This one is one that a friend of mine, MeteoraFallen, helped me come up with, and it's somewhat akin to something else that Atolm designed for another ship that WickedZombie created. I think it works well. I am thinking of adding an impulse crystal though, just for nostalgia sake.

@BolianAdmiral: Yes and no. Years ago when I started kitbashing for SFC, I kitbashed my own Connie and named her the Resurrection, and gave her the story line that she was going to be the last refit of the entire class, circa 2420. It's just that it's taken me over 5 years to finally get to the point where I could make the ship from scratch how I wanted it, making the components that didn't exist for bashing. Because STO's release included the refitted Connie with phaser arrays as an option, you could say there are similarities, but that's about it. The storyline I have for this ship doesn't really flow well with STO's timeline, and not really sure if it should. Personally though, I'd love to have the abiltiy to put this ship into STO, if STO was moddable that is. Most that I can ever hope for is that someone will want this ship for Bridge Commander or Legacy.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,567Member
    ^

Cool. Well, I own Bridge Commander, but not Legacy, so if you make it available for BC, I'd use it. :)
    I'll need someone to port the ship and get it working in BC. :-D
    My friend, MeteoraFallen, who helped me hammer out the impulse engine problem, played around with a left side profile render of my ship, and started adding in some details to the image itself, just to see what the ship could conceivably look like. I am so amazed as just this prelim brainstorming of his that I had to share it with everyone else.
    83165.jpg
    Made the torpedo tubes and finally got the micro torpedo turret. The launcher for the turret is half the size of the normal sized torpedo tubes. Gonna start on the docking hatches, and then I guess that's about it for the model, mesh wise.
    83220.jpg83221.jpg83222.jpg83223.jpg
    Ok, mesh wise, this model is done. Nothing left to make on the model, at least nothing that can't easily be compensated with using textures. I changed the mesh color to a light gray. I was getting a little sick of the blue personally and wanted a change.

Now, the search for a mapper commences.
    83367.JPG83368.JPG83369.JPG83370.JPG83371.JPG
    In a word--SOLID. Presents well from all angles. Not only did you have three impulse vents--you went for a two tiered, stacked design.

I don't think anyone else has thought to do that with a refit. The only tweek might be to incline the outer shroud of the lower photon torpedo tube to mirror the fantail cut-out above.
    publiusr wrote: »
    In a word--SOLID. Presents well from all angles. Not only did you have three impulse vents--you went for a two tiered, stacked design.

I don't think anyone else has thought to do that with a refit. The only tweek might be to incline the outer shroud of the lower photon torpedo tube to mirror the fantail cut-out above.

Thanks for the great comments. :-D
  • GotAFarmYet?GotAFarmYet?171 Posts: 0Member
    I'll need someone to port the ship and get it working in BC. :-D
    You Know StarForce2 would love to get his hands on a few ships you have for BC conversion, all you have to do is let him
    You Know StarForce2 would love to get his hands on a few ships you have for BC conversion, all you have to do is let him

Not gonna happen. I don't trust him as far as I can throw him....with a catapult.
  • GotAFarmYet?GotAFarmYet?171 Posts: 0Member
    Any ways to the topic at hand,

I know you are trying for the Connie look but since to are basically modernizing it to a more Sov style I would think to incorperate more of those elements into the design.

You already have a good start for a photon launcher on the underside of the saucer. I would not put them on the neck as well, as it seems a bit wasteful of space. It would also open the neck area up for more details or a different design to more personalize the ship. It would also be more of a link between the two styles of a TOS and a TNG (movie) design. The neck above the torp bay in the pic is what I am refering to.

http://clouddragon.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/star_trek_movie.jpg
    http://www.queervoice.net/zcbyrnes/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/enterprise.jpg

As for the rear launchers I like the one at the back of the neck but not so sure of the design still think a more turret type look might go better with it there, maybe extending it out to be more between the engines?

While I do agree the lowest one needs to be there as that was always the best angle to attack this ship from, it was a gunnery blind spot, I still think you sjould see if a more Sov looking turret could go there to

Colours I would stay away from white for this one, and think more of a gray shades and blue to dark blue detailing with silver or Bronze for metals

If you decide to stay with the current torp launchers then I would *NOT* put sensor strips on the sides of the saucer, make room for them along the bridge and lower saucer protrusions, then three strips along the lower hull one center and one on each side about 15 to 30 degrees from the center
    The mesh is where I like it. As for the concept images that I think you're talking about, those are not definite, but merely to show what the ship could look like. However, right now the ship's appearance when textured is a moot point considering I've still yet to find a mapper.
    Ok, it's been a while since I posted an update. She's finished. My friend, WileyCoyote from BCC mapped the ship, and my other friend Bones, also from BCC, did the textures. A couple minor tweaks here and there concerning her textures, but she's done.

I decided to release the ship for Bridge Commander.

Any thoughts?
    90105.jpg90106.jpg90107.jpg90108.jpg
  • ParagonParagon0 Posts: 0Member
    I like it a lot, I've always liked the idea of a 24th century Connie refit, and the model and texture look really good. Only small gripe would be that the details on the top of the saucer don't make much sense to me, it looks kind of jumbled. Not the impulse deck or the bridge, but just below; the area too shallow for any windows. If it were me, I might add some Voyager-style grid lines.
    Actually she's 25th century. 2420 to be exact. Just because she looks retro, doesn't mean she can't have state of the art tech under the hood. :-) As for the windows, yeah, I see what you mean, but they look nice though. :-)
  • japetusjapetus2957 SeattlePosts: 1,399Member
    Wow, I had my doubts when it was just hte mesh, but the textures have me sold! You've made an awesome ship there, she's beautiful! Great texturing by Bones and Wiley. Great job!!
    japetus wrote: »
    Wow, I had my doubts when it was just hte mesh, but the textures have me sold! You've made an awesome ship there, she's beautiful! Great texturing by Bones and Wiley. Great job!!

*takes a bow* I agree, the model isn't anything really until the textures were done, and Bones really outdid himself. And Wiley mapped the ship so that quite a bit of detail could be put into the textures.
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    Looks great! Nice job on her. Is she the same size as the original Constitution-class or larger? Would love to see an image of her against a nebula or in orbit of a planet. :)
    TrekMD wrote: »
    Looks great! Nice job on her. Is she the same size as the original Constitution-class or larger? Would love to see an image of her against a nebula or in orbit of a planet. :)

Same size. She's meant to be a refit of the existing class, so her size wouldn't have changed. Her saucer is thicker, as is her neck, but that's about it.