Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DThe Challenger - Galaxy-class Interiors for L4D2

LegionLegion0 Posts: 0Member
edited October 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Information

Since I don't want to keep answering the same questions over and over again, here is a list of some of the features in "The Challenger":

- Almost fully-explorable Galaxy class starship based largely on the Enterprise D.

- Discover rooms such as Engineering, Ten Forward, the Holodeck (one will even be "activated") and the Bridge. Navigate throughout the ship using Jeffries Tubes, the corridors, turbolift tubes, and (maybe) transporters.

- Custom zombie models include original infected and new "Starfleet" infected that will be wearing Starfleet uniforms. No word on different races yet.

- Player models may be customized as well to be wearing Starfleet uniforms.

- Campaign will start in the bowels of the ship, where players fight their way through Engineering and the saucer section until they reach the bridge, where the finale begins and they must defend themselves in close-quarters until a rescue ship can beam them out.

- Custom models, textures, sounds, and voice acting.

- Three campaign mini-campaign that will also have maps for Versus modes and Scavenge modes.

Original Post
First off, it's been awhile. I love coming back and seeing many new faces and many of the oldest members still posting. It's good to be posting again. :)

I've been working on a campaign for the zombie-survival horror game Left 4 Dead 2, and I'm hoping to use this thread as a WIP thread to get feedback as I develop it. Generally I'd stick to my friends and such, but of everyone I know, I'm the biggest trekkie (and that's not saying much, as I'm not really -- I know the ins and outs of technical stuff, sort of). I thought that maybe the ol' Scifi Meshes community might be just the help I need in really recreating this ship.

I wanted to do a Galaxy-class ship because, let's face it, it reminds of us good times. It's familiar; it's comfortable. Obviously the first thought would be to set the campaign aboard the Enterprise. As I started getting into what would be needed for this project, it occurred to me that small details would be very difficult to recreate using Hammer (the 3d software/scripting program Valve uses for its games). With that in mind I decided to put the campaign aboard another canon ship, the Challenger.

The great thing about the Challenger is that it's appeared on screen, it has some history, but that many of the smaller details are left to uncertainty. Plus it was a good name for the campaign, both as the ship and a description of the campaign itself -- almost as if the ship were challenging the players to succeed.

So I've changed the colors a bit, smoothed over some of the details, and generally made it look a bit "newer" than the Enterprise. I'm only assuming it was built in the years after the Enterprise was. I don't know if there is a canon date for its launch.

Attached are some of the first screens.

The Engineering section will be a real challenge, and it's what I'm working on right now. I've got the basic corridor setup and some of the custom graphic (LCARS by Tobias Weidmann - fully credited) and am currently working on the Pool Table. Custom props, when I need to build them, will be built with 3ds Max.

I'm hoping the warp core will be fairly straight forward and is able to be replicated in Hammer. Likewise, smooth curving surfaces will likely be made angular (another design decision) to make them easier to replicate in Hammer.

The second image is the Holodeck, which is also a work in progress. I still need to build the arch and doors, so beyond that there isn't much to look at yet. The smooth curvy corners were tough to do, but I think they add a nice subtly to the room square corners just didn't provide.

The last image is the hallway leading up to the Turbolift. It's mostly done. And yes, the red lights fade in and out with almost the same timing as in the show. No annoying red-alert sound, though.

So please, let me know your thoughts and opinions. Let me know what you'd like to see if you were a player. Let me know which parts of the ship you would like to explore.

The basic campaign idea right now is to start out at the very bottom of the ship where no escape pods remain, move upward through jeffries tubes to engineering, make your way through engineering, and then through the secondary hull until the survivors reach a "safehouse" in one of the rooms. I plan to have two more levels, one detailing moving from the secondary hull to the saucer section (and ten forward) and then onto the upper decks (again, more jeffries tubes) and onto the bridge, where they will call for help and an emergency beam out.

Aside from the zombies and dead bodies of crewmen, the ship will be fairly clean. I'm attempting to recreate the dark and heavy atmosphere of a ship running on reserve power and in a state of red alert. Engineering will have "system failure" messages in places and the computer will be unaccessible (this is a plot device and a reason to make it to the bridge).

So Trekkies, what do you think? What would you want in this?

I've got a development area for this (and ultimately to download it to play) over at l4dmaps.com, which you can view here: http://www.l4dmaps.com/details.php?file=5560
I'd leave it there, but what do those people know anyway? The one comment I have about it referred to it as "Startrack." Yessir. ;)

Edit: What happened to my postcount? :( Oh well.

l4d2_st_21.jpg
83342.jpg
Post edited by Legion on
Tagged:

• StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    Awesome! That's really nice work so far. :)
  • BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    That's pretty damn awesome; don't forget to show us the result when it's littered with corpses (of Starfleet personell, ofcourse :p) en with zombies dwelling within ;)
  • LegionLegion0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks guys. :)

I'm finishing up the textures for the Pool Table now (please ignore this awful render, just the default scanline):

pooltable_03.jpg

And also attempting to use my artistic talent to take the original characters and Trekerize them for the campaign's loading graphics:

chars_03.jpg
  • RekkertRekkert4063 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,307Member
    Great idea and great work so far! Always liked the idea of a FPS where you are on a derelict ship filled with zombies.
    Also like the loading image, pretty cool so far!
    Do you have any idea for Crescendo Events?
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Rekkert wrote: »
    Great idea and great work so far! Always liked the idea of a FPS where you are on a derelict ship filled with zombies.
    Also like the loading image, pretty cool so far!
    Do you have any idea for Crescendo Events?

Each level will have one! (There are only three levels.)

The first level, "Escape from Engineering", will find the survivors trying to fight off a horde as the locking doors around the warp core open (they will be inside, waiting for that big glass door to rise up as zombies swarm them).

The second level, "The Saucer Section", will have a crescendo event probably on the tenth deck, probably in Ten Forward. I may change this and do something involving jeffries tubes instead, since those will be in the level as well.

The last level will have its finale on the bridge and deck one.
    I have to post this because I'm so excited it worked.

pooltable_05.jpg

I might need to turn down the brightness of the LCARS, but that is pretty easy to do. Getting it compiled and in the game was a real pain.
  • limeylimey0 Posts: 0Member
    That is looking great so far, and I love the concept! If you need any beta testers, I'm game :D

One small thing though, the entire level looks about 150% too big. In the second pic in the first post, you're struggling to get half way up the corridor.

Other than that, it looks awesome! Can't wait to play it.
    limey wrote: »
    One small thing though, the entire level looks about 150% too big. In the second pic in the first post, you're struggling to get half way up the corridor.

Ha, I was kneeling in that pic. I will make sure to grab a screen where I'm standing the next time I'm in the level. :)
  • carlgcarlg1 Posts: 0Member
    Superb work on the interiors, but they look a little too clean so far. You should add some ripped-up bulkheads, steam venting from busted pipes, sparks, blood splattered on the walls, and other fun stuff to suggest that this place has been put through the wringer by a zombie horde. :)

Are you going to change the character models at all? Will the zombies be wearing starfleet tatters (that would be awesome)?
  • count23count23361 Posts: 781Member
    It would be pretty amazing if you could retexture the assets of the survivors to be starfleet uniforms and somehow either get starfleet/civy uniforms on the zombies or even turn them into borg mdls. But as far as i know, putting assets into the game isnt as easy as just using valve hammer for map making.

What will be the finale event? Escaping in the shuttlebay?
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    Definitely plan to try and get custom models for both the Survivors and the infected, wearing TNG-style uniforms in varying colors and degrees of ruination. It will be very difficult to tell the difference between your fellow player and the people you're supposed to be shooting, however, but maybe that's the point.

I think my biggest concern will be that it is extremely difficult to replace the weapons in game. I think I'm just going to have to go with pistols and shotguns and all what's in it. Oh well.

The finale will take place aboard the bridge, in which you hit a button to restart the computers, contact a nearby ship to come rescue you, and then proceed to fight the horde until the rescue ship arrives (you'll be able to see it warp in on the main screen). I posted some voice acting requests on another forum and even got a pretty good reply I'm planning to use:
    http://tindeck.com/listen/fwhu
    (Obviously I will static it up a bit for the campaign)

I think I will try injecting some destroyed section of the ship. That's a great idea that will add tons of variance and give me an excuse when I don't want to model something (I can block it off with a fire and some broken pipes jutting out of the ceiling). Good idea. :)

And thanks for all the responses, guys.
    You should check out the "USS Dallas" levels of Elite Force 2. They're kind of last-gen, but they may give you some inspiration for destroyed starship interiors. Also the Voyager episode "Scorpion" (OK, it's a busted Borg ship, but still :)).
  • SovereignSovereign171 Posts: 0Member
    I wonder if the zombies could be modded too? As in, zombie Vulcans like this.
  • Pic-A-CardPic-A-Card0 Posts: 0Member
    Cool project! Can't wait to play it... huge l4d junkie here.
    Alright guys, I need some help. Does anyone know where I can get a good reference shot of the blast doors for the warp core? I've done searches for hours and the best I've found is this: http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/geordi_indy_hat_roll.gif

Any help would be super-appreciated.
  • gm2378gm23780 Posts: 0Member
    I haven't seen it in a while but I'm pretty sure you get a couple of good shots in the movie Generations. One of the best episodes that show damaged starship interiors would be the Voyager episode Year of Hell.
  • RekkertRekkert4063 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,307Member
    In this gallery you have 2 other partial shots (sorry, TrekCore doesn't let you link the direct image).
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    I think it's just a redress of the TNG interior shuttlebay doors. You could probably just use those and no-one would be the wiser. ;)
  • gm2378gm23780 Posts: 0Member
    Rekkert wrote: »
    In this gallery you have 2 other partial shots (sorry, TrekCore doesn't let you link the direct image).

Thats exactly the scene I was talking about :D I think you actually see more of it in actual video format though?
  • Nihilus ShadowNihilus Shadow0 Posts: 0Member
    Wow, this really makes me want to buy L4D2 for PC haha. How will you deal with the Super Infected? Since you're fighting inside tight looking corridors, it seems like it would really be hard to Dodge a Tank, Charger or sneaking past a Witch. The concept sounds awesome though. I look forward to what happens next.
    Alright. I'm back to work on this (just a little). I accepted a new job and it's changed my time for being able to work on things so I've been adjusting for the last six weeks.

Regardless, I still really appreciate the help. I'll be getting the blast doors in soon (I found out there are two!) but I wanted to post some updates on the Engineering section while I was working on them.

l4d2_st_23.jpg

Work on the side room has begun, though it's pretty spartan at the moment. You'll have to forgive the fact the alcoves are white, I found out there are no suitable black textures in the game so I will have to make one to fill those spaces up with, so for now they are painted white as a placeholder. You'll notice that the consoles are all missing too - that's the next step.

In addition you can see the beginnings of the warp core housing and the catwalk around it. I'm fairly content with the glass at this point. I can't wait to get started on the other levels.

l4d2_st_24.jpg

Here's a view of the rest of Engineering. Sorry for the missing ceilings and walls. Without them there it is casting a lot of light from the nearby star. In places like Ten Forward and cabins this will be a great effect (sort of like first light of dawn) but in Engineering it just looks silly. So use your imagination and pretend its really darker and artificially lit. :)

I'm anxious to get working on the Bridge, but I really want to try and get more of Engineering done. Unless you guys would like me to start work on the Bridge; I don't need a lot of convincing.
    Trust me: finish what you have right now first, you'll regret starting multiple projects at the same time ;)
  • experiment442experiment4420 Posts: 0Member
    looks really nice. :thumb:
    So I've been working on this a bit again today and I wanted to share a couple of new screens of the engineering section:

l4d2_st_31.jpg

I've still got to get the warp core in place, but that will take some extra work outside of Hammer. I have setup a bit of the lighting, however.

l4d2_st_34.jpg

And a view looking through the Engineering. I've still got to get that master systems display in the game. It looks a little funny just blank back there.

So far so good. I'm happy with the proportions of everything and moving around inside the level feels very... familiar.
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    this is cool, have you got any gameplay videos?
  • NayslayerNayslayer333 Posts: 57Member
    I cant wait for this. I play L4D2 all the time and this would be pretty awesome.

Keep it up
  • experiment442experiment4420 Posts: 0Member
    I was wondering about this, what with the sacrifice out and all.

Looks great as usual.
    A little more work yesterday. Today I hope to work on the Warp Core model and perhaps do a little work on getting Ten Forward started.

wqqHE.jpg

The "Arch" is going in. Still need to do the doors, get them functioning, and add textures.

ihMYi.jpg

The new Master Systems Display in Engineering. This is Alexander Richardson's work, but it is used unapproved as of yet so I may need to change it if he says no. I'm waiting for a response. I hope he agrees to allow me to use it because I think it looks beautiful.

ENJTG.jpg

And finally a shot of the entire Engineering section (sans warp core, which is behind me).
    You know that you should use blazing red LCARS, right? It's no doomed ship when it falls apart and has steam, electricity and whatnot coming from everywhere but no LCARS to tell you that the ship is doomed ;)
    BorgMan wrote: »
    You know that you should use blazing red LCARS, right? It's no doomed ship when it falls apart and has steam, electricity and whatnot coming from everywhere but no LCARS to tell you that the ship is doomed ;)

Don't worry. Most of the display screens have "SYSTEM FAILURE" in bright red letters on them somewhere. Life support is still on, and the red alert lights are flashing, but everything else is basically offline.