Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSS Onyx Startrek WIP

[Deleted User][Deleted User]11 Posts: 4,002Member
edited June 2010 in Work in Progress #1
New trek ship I'm making, should be post Dominion war. the major lines of the hull are pretty much done in these renders. It's about 318m long at the moment, will be longer due to the nacelles.

uss21.jpg
uss2.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on
Tagged:

• [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Ugh, I'm getting sick of using Kerkythea as a render, it doesn't render correctly; my deflector dish and the thrusters came out not textured at all. Anyone know of another render engine for Sketchup?

uss3.jpg
    uss1.jpg
    usse.jpg

It is now 410m long, 223m wide and 75m high, with 12 Phasers and 9 torpedo tubes.
  • BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    You should paint textures by importing that which you wish to use into SU, context click on it and select *use as material* and then paint the desired object with it. There are more ways to do this, but it should work no matter what. It could also be because you painted a backside-facing face instead of a front one; dark in your model is bad, light is good. Check out the tutorial section in my sig for more on this. Patience, young padawan ;)
    BorgMan wrote: »
    You should paint textures by importing that which you wish to use into SU, context click on it and select *use as material* and then paint the desired object with it. There are more ways to do this, but it should work no matter what. It could also be because you painted a backside-facing face instead of a front one; dark in your model is bad, light is good. Check out the tutorial section in my sig for more on this. Patience, young padawan ;)

Thanks for the tips. But what do you mean by "context click"?
    Context click is left click. So, select your imported image, left click and select "use as material", after which you can use it as a texture to paint surfaces. What I usually do is to add _L or _B to the filename in the Paint window of Sketchup, so that I know what I want to be illuminated or bump mapped in Kerkythea :) If you open the paint window and select the color or texture you want to edit you can then change the name of it in the Edit tab, as well as the contrast ratio and lots of more stuff.

Where's the shuttlebay, by the way?
    Context click is left click. So, select your imported image, left click and select "use as material", after which you can use it as a texture to paint surfaces. What I usually do is to add _L or _B to the filename in the Paint window of Sketchup, so that I know what I want to be illuminated or bump mapped in Kerkythea :) If you open the paint window and select the color or texture you want to edit you can then change the name of it in the Edit tab, as well as the contrast ratio and lots of more stuff.

Where's the shuttlebay, by the way?

It wasn't placed yet on this series of renders, it is now. It's not a normal shuttle bay, it's on the underside of the hull. With my next set of renders they'll be shown. Another question, to get more sides in a circle you say I have to context click in the lower right corner where it now says "24" I tried it but it doesn't work, I can't fill in a new number or anything. What am I doing wrong?
    Update:
    ventral.jpg
    reargu.jpg
    dorsal.jpg
    I didn't like my nacelles so I placed Sovereign nacelles on it found on the Sketchup 3d warehouse as place holders till I can build something better.
  • HellsgateHellsgate0 Posts: 8Member
    Very very interesting design. Though I'd lose the underslung module and embed two very small but useful sensor/navigation deflectors (a-la Voyager's embedded auxiliary deflector unit in its forehead,) in the sides of the saucer section just ahead of the RCS. I'd keep the nacelles extremely close to the catamarans and the pylons extremely short for tight weaving/dodging and avoiding getting hit during a possible firefight upon this scout-explorer's detection. No captain's yacht for this one as this one looks just scarcely bigger than the Norway-Class. Though i'd add the possibility of a scaled-down Nebula-Class / Ronin-Class type overhead electronic warfare / tactical module in-future with visible ODN/EPS docking points on the secondary hulls. Oh, and visible doors for the landing gear and/or a very tight drop-shuttle (Chafee/Defiant-type) access along the center of the primary hull.
    Hellsgate wrote: »
    Very very interesting design. Though I'd lose the underslung module and embed two very small but useful sensor/navigation deflectors (a-la Voyager's embedded auxiliary deflector unit in its forehead,) in the sides of the saucer section just ahead of the RCS. I'd keep the nacelles extremely close to the catamarans and the pylons extremely short for tight weaving/dodging and avoiding getting hit during a possible firefight upon this scout-explorer's detection. No captain's yacht for this one as this one looks just scarcely bigger than the Norway-Class. Though i'd add the possibility of a scaled-down Nebula-Class / Ronin-Class type overhead electronic warfare / tactical module in-future with visible ODN/EPS docking points on the secondary hulls. Oh, and visible doors for the landing gear and/or a very tight drop-shuttle (Chafee/Defiant-type) access along the center of the primary hull.

Nah, I like the underslung module so that's not going :p I like the look with the pylons as it is right now, it gives it a fighter kinda look which I like. No landing gear, I always found that retarded on Voyager and it already has a shuttle bay on the starboard side of the ventral hull, the access is large enough for a runabout to enter. It's around 50 meters longer and 25 meters higher than a Norway Class with more internal space because of the fat fuselage and the underslung module.

This is pretty much a combat oriented design, not as combat oriented as the Defiant and the Prometheus but still a lot more than your average Starfleet ship. Beam firepower, shields are about as strong as a Galaxy class in a ship less than half the size, torpedo firepower is higher due to Quantum torpedo's and more torpedo tubes, hull armour is stronger, it's more manoeuvrable. I'm writing it's back story that it will be the new workhorse of the new more combat oriented fleet, replacing most older designs like the left over Excelsiors, Miranda's, the Frankenstein fleet that was kitbashed for war duty and bolstering the fleet to make up for lost ships in the Dominion war and the Borg incursions.
    When making circles, just select the edge of the circle, context-click on it and select Entity Info; there you'll find the segment count which can be edited by clicking on it.

OR

enter s followed by a number when you are creating a circle. That way ALL circles you'll be making will consist of that segment count. That's not necessarily a good thing, as it will make the model biggerwithout it being actually needed (like small details made with circles which would do fine with just 24 segments), so I suggest the former method. It works, you just mixed the two up ;) It also might be a good thing to have a glance at my Hayden class over at the 3D warehouse; perhaps it will gove you an idea how to build certain elements of your ship :)
    When making circles, just select the edge of the circle, context-click on it and select Entity Info; there you'll find the segment count which can be edited by clicking on it.

OR

enter s followed by a number when you are creating a circle. That way ALL circles you'll be making will consist of that segment count. That's not necessarily a good thing, as it will make the model biggerwithout it being actually needed (like small details made with circles which would do fine with just 24 segments), so I suggest the former method. It works, you just mixed the two up ;) It also might be a good thing to have a glance at my Hayden class over at the 3D warehouse; perhaps it will gove you an idea how to build certain elements of your ship :)
    Ah, got it, thanks. :)
  • Bigd524Bigd524406 ScotlandPosts: 178Member
    That s a nice lookin ship.
    Update: It's pretty much done I think.

doneqf.jpg
    done1o.jpg
    done3u.jpg

Tried out some lightening for the first time, didn't come out as I wanted it to, some of the lights are not showing.
    lightjn.jpg
  • HellsgateHellsgate0 Posts: 8Member
    Interesting. Can't wait to see this one in a youtube feature in-future, such as tnpir's "Spectre Of The Past", perhaps in an "All Good Things"-style cameo appearance.