Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DThe USS Spartan

calamity_sicalamity_si361 Posts: 369Member
edited June 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Hi all!

A new starship from myself. Took me an afternoon to knock this up using Sketchup. To be fair, the bulk of the model was created by a Sketchup artist called <<<GUN3Y>>> who had made a rather spiffing Pelican Dropship from the game Halo.

Background concept and history (for those who are interested):rolleyes:
Years ago, I remember looking at a picture of the dropship and I'd noticed that it had a set of rear thruster wings on it's tail section. Squinting my eyes, I began to imagine what that section would look like as a starship and the concept of the ship was born there. This afternoon, I had a bit of free time so I downloaded GUN3Y's model and cut out the bulk of the ship, leaving the tail section behind. From there I worked on filling in the underside and nose section, doubling up the engines (this ship has four of them) and turning what was originally a set of thrusters into warp nacelles.

Next came the drive section and navigational deflector. For this I used another artists model of the Starfleet phaser rifle from First Contact, created by Admiral Kamikaze Bacon. It was actually the mounted scope on the top that I used. I flattened it out a bit, turned it upside down and added navigational deflector details. I then went back and perfected some details and textures.

So yeah, it's not really my work but rather a good example of how other people's talents can be combined into something interesting. Both Admiral Kamikaze Bacon and GUN3Y's models can be found on the Google Sketchup Warehouse and my thanks go out to them for their brilliant work and talents.

And some angled views:
Attachment not found.
Post edited by calamity_si on
Tagged:

• calamity_sicalamity_si361 Posts: 369Member
    The background story for the Spartan Class of Federation Starships is that they were created as a carrier for Starfleet's Hazard team. This ship isn't the fastest, the most heavily armed or the most scientifically advanced. She is, however, the toughest. Everything about this ship was designed around funtionality and durability. Her hull is reinforced and the ship is outfitted with structural integrity fields that can isolate areas of damage. Because of this, she can enter hazardous regions of space and endure extensive damage to her hull and still keep functioning.

Her design took lessions learned from the Prometheus class. She has a similar profile and four warp nacelles. But the design is designed to look much sturdier.

Here is the basic layout:
    Attachment not found.
  • StarshipStarship466 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,977Member
    Looks something that could fly in the GalacticaA’s universe. ;)
    Yeah I think so too! Here's the link to it on Sketchup: http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=3bf556f14aa69fc9955d029e0cd5fa20
    Hi all. Been continuing with this one a bit. Just to make the top a bit more interesting, I've added an extra module of sorts between the upper warp engines. I think it looks kinda cool. Also added some chunky new impulse engines, the registry and a bit of starfleet frosting. Any comments? Anyone?:help:

Attachment not found.
    Attachment not found.
    Attachment not found.
    Ok well I can deduce from the lack of response that this contribution isn't really setting anyone's world alight here. Shame really as I was quite pleased with it. I'll be putting this one on the back burner for a while.
  • manwiththegunmanwiththegun171 Posts: 0Member
    I like it! In fact if you don't mind I would love to d/l from 3D Warehouse and play around with it....?
    I like it! In fact if you don't mind I would love to d/l from 3D Warehouse and play around with it....?

Sure, thanks manwiththegun! I'd love to see what you can do with her!
    Well here's what I got so far. Instead of a starship in the Star Trek universe, I see her as more of a future space shuttle replacement with FTL type speed and antigrav thrusters. I got some work to do on the texturing and I want to add more detail.
    Wow, looking good! It reminds me a bit of the Longsword fighter from Halo. :) Perhaps we should let this thread branch off into two directions. Keep adding details and post your work here, and I'll do the same. We'll see how two different approaches to the same basic design can work out. Sound good?
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    Send it to the Star Fllet Battles folks--it looks like an old Orion pirate raider mini.
    publiusr wrote: »
    Send it to the Star Fllet Battles folks--it looks like an old Orion pirate raider mini.

What, like this one? http://starfleetcommand3.filefront.com/screenshots/File/32376/1

Yeah, I see the similarity...although mine doesn't look like it's been made out of lego!
    Sorry for the delay... I'm on vacation and believe it or not have less time for modeling!?! I don't get it either but I'll post some updates sooner or later.