Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DTMP - Enterprise leaving Drydock 3D Animation

mylexmylex1015 Posts: 346Member
edited May 2010 in Finished Work #1
So here is the new render of the launch sequence.

The animation has some elements of TMP, ST II Wrath of Khan and ST V The Final Frontier.

It comes with complete new lighting, new ships and some modified takes.

Enterprise leaving Drydock 720p

Enterprise leaving Drydock 1080p

Enjoy

mylex
81699.jpg
Post edited by mylex on
18.jpg 195.8K

• [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Niiiiiiice!!!!
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    grrRRrr..This video contains content from Sony Music Entertainment. It is no longer available in your country.
  • DJStratoArtDJStratoArt171 Posts: 0Member
    WOW!!! I'm working on the Polar Lights model of this ship. Got the whole lighting going and all, and just came across this. Beautiful work!!
  • DJStratoArtDJStratoArt171 Posts: 0Member
    The only crit. I would have is that the shuttleby you depict is from the NCC-1701-A version (Star Trek V and Star Trek VI). The shuttle bay in STTMP through STIII is the long one seen in STTMP.

But this is just beautifully done.

I couldn't get it into one post on youtube, but I was going to say this.

I would add a bit more "Pearlescence" in the hull. You may be taking cues from the NCC-1701A shown in ST IV through ST VI.

These models had a "dumbed down' or dulled paint job on them, that I personally didn't care for.

The reason being, so they wouldn't wreck havoc on the cameras during filming.

The original Enterprise Refit shown in STTMP had a drop-dead metalic or pearlescent finish to it. You can really see that in the up close shots in the dry-dock sequence.

The reason I know this, is because of my own extensive research on modeling forums where pro-modelers were discussing the specifics of the paint and even contacted one of the original artists/modelers that worked on the studio model of the STTMP Enterprise.

In essence, the paint employed had a "Pearlescent" patch-work paint job over it, very subtle in details but certainly there.

I actually acquired paint from a taxidermy shop to achieve get this effect. I'm still working on my Polar Lights kit. And I've actually bought the Trek-Modeler lights to go with it, but it's a big kit, and lots of time is going into it.

You can see my blog, for details as I build it.

But regarding the shuttle bay, you may want to rethink that part if you are willing. Because THAT is a major factor. The shortened shuttle bay was used for ST V as they just couldn't build a giant set as the Motion Picture refit E. was showing. So they shortened the shuttle bay considerably. It barely takes up 1/4 of the aft end of the engineering hull. Whereas the Refit as shown in STTMP, that shuttle bay actually extends all the way up to the Arboretum (the large windows port/starboard of the Engineering hull).
  • RAF-MXRAF-MX12 Posts: 0Member
    What....?!!..How....?!!..How much did you....?!!! ..Oh MY!!!!....This is just perfect !!!
    Amazing job man!! gran trabajo amigo !!!
  • mylexmylex1015 Posts: 346Member
    @DJStratoArt

Yes I used the Hangar from ST V because this Hangar looks much prettier than the one of TMP. It was a better combination while using the Galileo shuttle for this animation.

The mesh has theAztec Color pattern on the hull, but is difficult to show them if you use small lighting. I would have the scene a little bit darker as in the movie seen, so this was the agreement.
  • wjasperswjaspers332 Posts: 0Member
    mylex wrote: »
    I would have the scene a little bit darker as in the movie seen, so this was the agreement.

Nicely done Mylex.

Darker as seen in the movie? are you using the SE version or the HD version as a reference? the HD version is a lot brighter as the SE version, you can compare them from the screengrabs at trekcore.com.
  • DaAanDaAan331 Posts: 0Member
    Very Awesome Mylex!!

one thing i did note and its not a reflection on your skill but rather your render settings in the 1080p version i just watched there are several points in the scene where strong Aliasing effects can be seen. now i understand that AAing something like that is a pain and increases render times exponentionally the more you apply to a scene but just something to think about :)

that said though its a million times better than anything i can render out at this point :)

great work
    DaAan wrote: »
    Very Awesome Mylex!!

one thing i did note and its not a reflection on your skill but rather your render settings in the 1080p version i just watched there are several points in the scene where strong Aliasing effects can be seen. now i understand that AAing something like that is a pain and increases render times exponentionally the more you apply to a scene but just something to think about :)

that said though its a million times better than anything i can render out at this point :)

great work

Yes the animation actually looks a little bit hard, now I'll took some time for a post work, some color adjustment, a little bit of grain and smoothness to make it look more like motion picture film quality.
    wjaspers wrote: »
    Nicely done Mylex.

Darker as seen in the movie? are you using the SE version or the HD version as a reference? the HD version is a lot brighter as the SE version, you can compare them from the screengrabs at trekcore.com.

I have the HD version as reference, but it was to bright for me. Especially the shots of the enterprise have less contrast. When you have notice to the docklights and compare this with the illumination of the Enterprise, you can see that there use additionell lights for the movie shots.

In my scene I would obtain, that the hole illumination comes from the docklights.
    DaAan wrote: »
    Very Awesome Mylex!!

great work

If you watch the animation on a 200 Hz Flat Screen TV, you can't see any aliasing :-), The video quality of youtube could be better especially if you use HD videos