Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

PracticalAge Of The Emperor: The Arena (Warhammer 40,000)

DannageDannage236 Posts: 634Member
edited October 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Well, my first post of 2010. Crikey, time flies...

I have not been doing any 3D work on my computers recently, but I have done some physical stuff (not exercise, mind!) The Tempus Fugitives 3rd installment in their Age of The Emperor Campaign Weekend Quadrilogy, required me to build something new and useful, since I said I didn't want to bring my Leviathan back in.

The mandate was fairly simple: Since some gamers would finish earlier than others, and whilst everyone is playing army versus army battles, the Horus Heresy ended with a climactic battle on Horus Battlebarge. Build an atmospheric terrain piece which will allow players to take a single character out of those that teleported up (Ollis Pious, Rogal Dorn, Sanguinnius, The Emperor etc) and face them off in a special rules game against Horus himself.

The most dificult thing for me was that because it was a secret project I couldn't share it with anyone, so couldn't get feedback on whether I was going the right way or not, and secondly I also ran out of time very quickly. It wasn't 'as finished' as I would have liked, but it was finished enough to be released the weekend just gone.

Proper sets of piccies up tonight, but in the meantime, here's a teaser!
81453.jpg
Post edited by Dannage on

• DannageDannage236 Posts: 634Member
    I got given the brief a while back but it was some time in February I actually started on the model. Some time around Christmas, I think, I came up with the general idea though, which went onto the whiteboard (darned useful thing to have!)

Photo517.jpg

Then in February, I made a start. Since this was going to be an 'arena' I was going to be fairly limited in what I could do with the model itself, so I knew I had to have plenty of actual characters around to fill the space and add detail. I also wanted the place to look grandiose, but for figures not to get in the way of the action, so I decided it needed to be a multi level affair, with plenty of layers, so I could put figures in the lower levels, while the Horus/Emperor action took place on top... So, here we see me making a start on characters for 'the pits' (an area where Horus keeps animated corpses, little evil creatures and human slaves, for his amusement.

We also get to see the chaos symbol appear on the flat wooden boards, adding the chaos symbol into the arena on a grandiose scale!

Photo470.jpg

Photo478.jpg

Photo479.jpg

Photo480.jpg
    With thanks to my out of work carpenter dad for doing the cutting out (Though I was expecting straighter lines out of you dad! heh heh) I then bought some lengths of dowel rod, and two skulls. The skulls were from Clinton Cards, and cost Aï¿¡4.99 for the pair. They will probably be available again just before halloween, and are well recommended for chaos terrain lovers! :)

At this stage it was easy to get a feel of how the barge would look.

Photo485.jpg

Photo486.jpg

Photo487.jpg

Photo488.jpg
    Photo489.jpg

Photo491.jpg

Photo492.jpg

Photo493.jpg

Photo494.jpg
    Since the old BFG Battlebarge model has ribbing on the outside, it only seemed fair to add ribbing where the glass floor goes.

Photo500.jpg

Photo501.jpg

Then, time for some red paint and some holes cut in the back wall...

Photo502.jpg

Photo503.jpg

Photo504.jpg

Photo505.jpg

Photo506.jpg
    Of course, the whole point of the big glass floor is to show we're in orbit of holy Terra, so the base board needed a little painting.

Photo507.jpg

Photo510.jpg

Tecnically I should have put lots of cloud on, but I was pretty happy with the blue shading and didn't want to ruin it, so you have to imagine that Horus has blown the clouds away to cear his descent to the planet... or something.. :) The black looks a little overcooked in the second photo, but the paint was still wet. When it dried, it actually came out really well!
    Photo511.jpg

These pictures can show you in layers, what's going on. So above, we got Earth.. which is now a bit old-earthier than it should be (Someone just told me the oceans boiled away!) .... Below, the base board, which lifts the whole model above, so we can look down on earth from afar...

Photo512.jpg

Then the bottom layer, showing the pits.

Photo513.jpg

Then the lower floor of the throne room

Photo514.jpg

Then Horus's Floor

Photo515.jpg

And then with stairs and back wall

Photo516.jpg
    Many weeks later...

Photo537.jpg

Photo538.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    quite a lot of work going into this one :O pretty impressive
    Ah, I didn't think anyone was watching... Since you are... Here's a shot of the finished...ish... model.

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq69/Dannage/Project%20SoT/Photo584.jpg

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq69/Dannage/Project%20SoT/Photo583.jpg
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    Excuse me while I drool a moment... okay, done.
  • DCBDCB331 Posts: 0Member
    Nice job Dannage (sorry it's a bit belated). How was it received?
  • Lee80Lee80193 Posts: 458Member
    HOLY CRAP! That looks awesome Dannage. Excellent work
    Oo, thanks chaps. It was very well received. We had a number of people crowded around, especially between rounds, as they brought their beautifully crafted character models in and had fisticuff duels to the death!
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Oh, I've been absent from the forum for a while and I'd have to say...
    Holy motherbleeping bleep! Dannage... dude... I'm at a loss for words...
    Ahh Meph, old friend, how have you been? Did you ever finish that Space Marine?

Glad you like the model. I wasn't too happy with it myself actually, but it was well received and it was good to try something big again. There is another Fugitives event in May, I may be considering something to make and take there for that. Unfortunately, my workshop has a leaky roof, so I've had to move all my stuff to a portacabin and I'm waiting for them to build me a new unit. Be nice to finally get all my stuff out of my other house so I can rent the damned thing out! :D
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    I'm good, somehow I drifted away from SFM for a while as I took a break from 3D work for a while. I'm actually building a new Blood Angels army, got bitten by the mini-bug again. A mate of mine also dusted off his Space Wolf army and we plan to take on the chaos armies of two other mates in a few months.
    About the diorama, I can easily imagine that you can find things to improve with no end in sight, things like that are hard to let go and call them 'Done'. it's looking good nonetheless mate
    Hehehe, I'd kill for a decent workshop. I'm currently working out of a plastic storage box and a coffee table... It's quite the hassle, having to spend 15 minutes unpacking and 15 minutes of packing up before and after every little painting session I want to do. One of the downsides of an appartment with no 'dirty' room to spare....
    The Marine's almost finished, I swear! I even started on the base and the details like the bolter and combat knife etc etc... I want to have him finished by the end of the year.