Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Getting experience with 3D (also 2D) projects for future job ?

somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
Hey there fellow scifi meshers :) For those who may recognize me, I've been a bit slow with new posts on SFM mainly due to fact that I switched my focus from science fiction to more realistic modeling.
That is because I want to get some experience in creating stuff that gets more attention in paid department. My main reason for posting here is because I want to know from people who actually work or have some experience as 3D modelers or even 2D illustrators (I am slowly getting into that as well) what are the best options for getting job experience.
I just wanted to know what are the minimum requirements for the most basic modeler and how it all unfolds.
Here's some of my recent work, many still are wips. Sci-fi models are 1 month and older.

th_walker6.jpg
th_ishuttle7.jpg
th_porsche6.jpg
th_brabham2.jpg
th_renfe5.jpg
th_beardfx1.jpg
th_farbryka3.jpg
th_concept13.jpg
th_maru40.jpg
Post edited by somacruz145 on

• L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    in your reel/folio, you'll need things that you see on tv.
    basic stuff : a car (people in the area dont enjoy too much planes and spaceships), a coke/whatever can, a book that flips pages, some 3d tracking (good for 3d integration into live footage. good excuse to show planes or spaceships) a small animation (3-5sec. it may be whatever. just to show you're fine with timings) buildings (architecture) basic particule animation (dissolving a logo or whatever)

always welcomed : bottles of all sorts. interior architecture. cool particules effects (car paint that goes off revealing other layer of paint for example). water/fluid animation (realflow style). fire. character animation. voyage into everyday life objects.
    a little bit of compositing is always welcomed as well.

so, my advice would be to focus on the basic stuff here, then build a reel with your good stuff only (60-90sec). then go job hunting and be patient.
    also, do you modeling to be easily modifiable. people always want modifications.
    and dont expect big money.

hope it helps.
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks, that's even more than I hoped for :) I am going to do some interiors soon but I didn't think about typical everyday-use items. I will surely make a bunch of animations with that. I don't know when I am going to start doing any actual paid job because I am still far from being fast and good enough but hopefully I will get a grip of all the aspects that you wrote about.
    I think the only things I didn't try before is the 3D tracking (I only did manual adjustments to place a model in a video) and character animation (except for an animated ant).
    Oh and I didn't ask for money that I can make off of it because I'm really not sure when I will be able to work commercially anyway :)
    Thanks for your tips again :thumb:
  • Pic-A-CardPic-A-Card0 Posts: 0Member
    If you're applying for a modeling job, the entire reel should be geared towards modeling. Pick your best pieces, don't include everything you've ever done - the reel should really be no more than a minute and a half. Having your models on turntables is standard, but sometimes it's nice to have environments for your models. If you do a turntable, make it interesting - for example, if you have some characters, have them walk onto the turntable, spin around and then walk off, or strike a pose - anything to make your reel fun and unique. Remember, however, that the focus has to be on the models themselves. Show the model, then the topology, wireframe, etc. If the model flies by quickly in an animation, it's not going to get you hired for a modeling position.

If you're applying for a generalist job, then yes, show compositing, tracking, etc. The point is you really want to tailor your reel to the job you're applying for. Sometimes companies will want to see fine art skills such as photography - this applies especially for lighting jobs - but this should be done sparingly.

Basically, know the position you're applying for, even go so far as to ask the company what they want to see, and tailor your reel to that position. Keep the focus on your work - it's nice to see environments and animations for models but the focus should be on your work.

Good luck!