Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DB-type Battleship.

MorpheusMorpheus0 Posts: 0Member
edited December 2010 in Work in Progress #1
This is my current WIP on building a fleet for an unnamed faction in my universe.

Current ships are as followed :
- B-type Battleship Bishop (modeling done, texturing postponed)
- C-type Cruiser Centurion (modeling 90%, no texture yet)
- D-type Dreadnought (current WIP)

C&C are welcomed.
86097.jpg
Post edited by Morpheus on
Tagged:

• manwiththegunmanwiththegun171 Posts: 0Member
    Wow! I love the design. I love the front gun placement and how the side shield the inner hull.
  • JWWrightJWWright171 Posts: 0Member
    Fierce and fearless. Cant wait to see more!
  • kevinskikevinski0 Posts: 0Member
    Very impressive start
    which programm your are using for this?
  • Jimi JamesJimi James0 Posts: 0Member
    That a great design; advanced but also clean and straightforward.
  • MorpheusMorpheus0 Posts: 0Member

I'm using Wings3D for modeling and Blender for rendering. The side hull are indeed armored to protec the inner superstructure and I'll probably add several windows to make it look like a habitat section.
  • Fre'dniFre'dni0 Posts: 0Member
    noooo, don't add habitat areas along the armored protection areas on the sides. Add navigation lights instead, to give it lighting, and maybe a spot light for its name/registry number on the outside.
    Ok, I won't add windows to the "shield" section, How about the superstructure (middle protected hull)?
  • Jimi JamesJimi James0 Posts: 0Member
    Windows along the superstructure (middle protected hull) would be fine I think, but I would keep them to a minimum. Definitely not as many as you would see on a Starfleet vessel (every room doesn't need a window); perhaps even limited to a few communal areas with large observation windows that are covered with blast doors. That's just me though and the fear I have of being sucked (or is it blown, I forget) out into space through a breached window during the middle of a fire fight. lol
    I decided to skip the windows for now. :p

Plating has been added to the ventral armor and I also added several gun turrets to the pod, I'm still not satisfied with the placement yet so this is just temporary. The ridges across the pod are supposed to be weapon emplacements BSG style. I hope I did it right :confused:
    81530.jpg81531.jpg
    I made a change to the previous gun turret on the weapon pods, also added minor detail to the missile launcher pod.
    81816.jpg81817.jpg81818.jpg
  • Dr.SleepDr.Sleep0 Posts: 0Member
    Ship looks great, I love that shape! :D
    but I liked previous option of turrets more... (just my opinion)
    Yeah, I'm also not quite satisfied with the "claw" turrets, I was hoping to make something similar to the Tiger's Claw configuration (Wing Commander 1 PC game) . What I want is the weapon pod have at least 2-3 turrets facing forward with arc covering the lower portion of the ship and several large cannons protruding from the front of the pod (similar configuration like in most BFG cruisers/battleship)
    I totally rebuilt the wing pod into a cannon pod with two mega plasma cannon on the forward. I will also place several turrets and point defense guns on it.
    82049.jpg82050.jpg82051.jpg
    I've added hangar bay to lower hull section and also added several engine thrusters.
    I'll probably add some details and paneling to the hangar section first.
    82385.jpg82386.jpg
  • manwiththegunmanwiththegun171 Posts: 0Member
    Those two mega plasma cannons look quite intimidating.... great work.
    I made some changes to the hangar section and added minor details. I also added several structure to the middle "superstructure" hull.

Oh yeah, I tweak Blender lighting rig to get better rendering time and I think the render result looks a little better. :rolleyes:
    82538.jpg82539.jpg82540.jpg
    I've updated the command tower with minor details also added several close range quad gun turrets.
    I've also placed several manuvering thruster on the side hull.

What do you guys think about the command tower?
    82715.jpg82716.jpg
  • PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    I like the tower. it has a solid yet practical look to it.
  • stephan_skastephan_ska171 Posts: 0Member
    This ship IS a beauty !! Reallly it is !

I'm gonna watch this threat closely !

Cheers
    Thanks guys.

I'm gonna watch this threat closely !

Cheers

I don't think this ship pose any real threat right now :confused:

Right now I'm planning to add a medium gun to the underside of the weapon pods, added more details to the bow and probably several sensor and comm array near the command tower.

I have to split the ship into several Wings file since Wings3D could barely hold the original mesh.
  • stephan_skastephan_ska171 Posts: 0Member
    sry for my bad english ...
    i meant trheaD :-P ... the progress of this model ....
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,567Member
    Awesome ship.
    I've replaced the beam cannon array on the side of the hull with batteries of pulse gun.
    I took the energy gun turret on the Aurora class ancient battleship (SG:Atlantis) for reference.

Right now there are two pulse guns batteries on each side of the ship, I'll add more on the underside, the weapon pod and oin the stern of the ship.

C&C are welcomed. :)
    82791.jpg82792.jpg
    I'd make sure several of them can also fire forward and above the ship as well. After all you don't want blind spots on your point defense systems.
    Those gun could fire forward and got wide firing arc. I've added more gun batteries to the weapon pods and the tail. The fins behind the command tower are supposed to be long range communication arrays.

I've also added the ship stat to the first page which include the armaments of the ship.
    83000.jpg82999.jpg
  • AardwolfAardwolf171 Posts: 82Member
    Looks like she's bristling with turrets!

Is there any vulnerability left, aside from lasers from stand-off range?
    Well, the superstructure in the middle is quite vulnerable, and there's a small gap between the superstructure and the side armor which allow strike craft to perform strafing runs. However the main weakness lies in the joint between the hull and the weapon pods, if the weapon pods are destroyed or detached from the hull, it will reveal the main reactor of the ship (tested in 2D using Battleship Forever).
    I made some changes to the command tower to make it shorter, also added few details to the ster of the ship.

I've added the rear hangar bay for transport ship and maybe if I had the time I'll make the transport ship.

B_type_battleship_WIP_2_by_Morpheus2014.jpg
    83477.jpg83478.jpg83479.jpg
    Nice. She's growing in detail and coming together to give a good impression of size and power.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    just WoW.

i've been trying to learn the basics of model and i don't come to close to this sort of thing.
    again
    Just WoW
    nice job and i'll be watching this thread aswell because that looks like a mean ass ship