Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DWelcome to the colonial fleet

todaytoday0 Posts: 37Member
edited May 2010 in Finished Work #1
attachment.php?attachmentid=81612&d=1273368840
81255.jpg
Post edited by today on

• BuckaroohawkBuckaroohawk2 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice! I like the perspective combined with the deep shadows. One question, though: Were the wings of the Mark VII Vipers really that close to the ground? The right wing looks like it's actually touching the deck. Seems like that would make it hard to move into a launch tube. Just a suggestion, but you might want to raise it up just a little bit.
  • newmannewman0 Posts: 0Member
    Wings are definitely too long, they don't touch the deck normally. This one would probably have problems fitting in a launch tube, as well. There's a reason why all vipers have roughly the same wing configuration.
  • Kmpr´rakKmpr´rak171 Posts: 12Member
    Except for the long wings, very nice work!
  • todaytoday0 Posts: 37Member
    Yep, viper wingspan is definitely as issue.. the problem is if you try an image search for 'Viper MKVII' you typically get renders of ... the Wil Jaspers mesh, complete with extra wide wings:)

Based on the age of that mesh I'm willing to bet it's been around since the miniseries so was probably based off very limited reference, and with the exception of wing span is spot on. Better than I can do at least, I tried modeling my own MKVII and the proportions came out a little funny to say the least. One of these days though I do want to make my own version of the retcon'd MKVII;)
    attachment.php?attachmentid=81625&d=1273411185
    In the meantime I've adjusted the wings on the Wil Jaspers mesh (shown in above render) ^. :thumb:
    81268.jpg
  • aylaa12aylaa120 Posts: 0Member
    Niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeee work today
    thanks!
  • backsteptbackstept2310 Posts: 959Member
    my only crit is the shiny reflective red paint on the floor :D
    nice job :thumb:
    today wrote: »
    Yep, viper wingspan is definitely as issue.. the problem is if you try an image search for 'Viper MKVII' you typically get renders of ... the Wil Jaspers mesh, complete with extra wide wings:)

Based on the age of that mesh I'm willing to bet it's been around since the miniseries so was probably based off very limited reference, and with the exception of wing span is spot on.

That might actually explain a problem I noticed not too long ago with my various BSG models. I have a Mark II and a Mark VII, and I recently came across a fairly nice model of an interior launch tube. The Mark II fits nicely, but the wings of the Mark VII are way too long to fit inside the launch tube. At first, I passed this off as the typical "TV guys didn't use their tape measures when they built the sets" excuse, but now I'm thinking that the wings of my Mark VII model might be too long.

Does anyone have or know of a size comparison chart that shows the Mark II and the Mark VII side-by-side so I can make my models as accurate as possible?
  • wjasperswjaspers332 Posts: 0Member
    Based on the age of that mesh I'm willing to bet it's been around since the miniseries so was probably based off very limited reference

Indeed, VERY limited :)
    I have a Mark II and a Mark VII, and I recently came across a fairly nice model of an interior launch tube. The Mark II fits nicely, but the wings of the Mark VII are way too long to fit inside the launch tube.

They sure are, go here for the ortho's if you want to adjust it:

http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=427
    Thank you, Will! I appreciate the heads up on the site. I'm constantly searching for new sites from which to get reference materials and images, don't know how I missed that one.

By the way, I hope you don't think I'm disparaging your Mark VII model in any way. It's actually one of my favorites. The material maps are awesome and I love the detail you put into the main engines. So the wings are a little long. No big deal. It's still a great model, as evidenced by today's images here!
    wjaspers wrote: »

Wish I could find some clear references for the retcon'd (season 3.5 and up) MKVII... doesn't seem like the in-house team was very big on releasing publicity renders, at least not as much as zoic was:thumb:
    Wish I could find some clear references for the retcon'd (season 3.5 and up) MKVII... doesn't seem like the in-house team was very big on releasing publicity renders, at least not as much as zoic was:thumb:

The Mark VII was retconned? How? I don't remember noticing any big changes over the course of the series. What did they change?
  • mtblilliemtblillie171 Posts: 0Member
    I'm not really seeing a big difference? Maybe it's just me?
  • wjasperswjaspers332 Posts: 0Member
    By the way, I hope you don't think I'm disparaging your Mark VII model in any way.

Nope, when it is too wide, it is too wide. If I think something on someones model is wrong, I say it, hope other people do that in my case too, only way to get good models :)

Sorry can't help there. Keep reading that people think it is not as sleek as the original MVII.
    Thanks for the links, today. Your research is appreciated. The only major differences I could see from those screencaps is the overall color of the "in-house" Mark VII is a little different than the Zoic version (possibly corresponding to the different markings seen in some of the images from Will's link earlier in this thread), and the addition of what appear to be ramscoops or intake cowls on the underside of the ship, just behind and to either side of the central recess directly under the cockpit (which I believe may be a missile launcher). Of course, these ships zipped by so damn fast on the show that getting a good look at them was never easy; a sure source of frustration for many a 3D modeler, I'm sure.
    They also seem to have widened the nose a bit to bring it more in line with the MKII.. I know it's not terribly different from the original MKVII, but if I had a nice big publicity render or two I'd definitely try modeling one. Which may be a bit of cop out because I could probably model from that screen shot up there and just fill in the parts I can't see with detail from the zoic version.:thumb:

I'll have to think about that:p
  • tan.jtan.j183 East JapanPosts: 100Member
    Wow! I have not noticed retcon variants at all... I copied a nose part of my Mk.II's mesh, and pasted it on Mk.VII's mesh experimentally :D

retcon_02.jpg
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1192 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,633Member
    Nice work on the 2 images!
  • Kmpr´rakKmpr´rak171 Posts: 12Member
    A VII with a II nose. Nice idea, and it looks not bad!