Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DNY Class Lexington

rodsmale84rodsmale84171 Posts: 0Member
edited August 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Hey all. This is my 1st time posting, so please, be kind. haha. Ok, this is something I've been working on. I think of it as the next class of starship built by Earth after the NX class. For the time being I'm calling it the NY-01, SS Lexington. My idea is that the NX class, while being a success, was difficult to construct and took a long time to finish. With the growing Romulan threat, circa. 2155, Earth needed more ships with the range and strength of Enterprise and Columbia. The answer? The NY Class. For every one NX class, three NY could be constructed. Being only slightly smaller, while being as equally armed as the NX class, this made the NY class into the work horse of the coming Romulan war.

Note: I'm not anywhere near finished with this. more views to come with time.
81345.jpg
Post edited by rodsmale84 on
Tagged:

• TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    Interesting design and nice idea on your part. In The Romulan War novel (Enterprise) they deal with this issue by making more Daedalus-class ships (in fact, they try to explain the retro-tech from TOS as well) but I like this idea even more.
  • rodsmale84rodsmale84171 Posts: 0Member
    Some progress made....
    80901.jpg
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    Cool. Thanks for sharing. Keep up the nice work.
  • HellsgateHellsgate0 Posts: 8Member
    Interesting. I can't wait to see more "Ent"-era ships, bases, etc.
  • mtblilliemtblillie171 Posts: 0Member
    Wow that actually looks pretty good. I like the way it matches the NX tech, but larger and a little more updated. Seems like a reasonable evolution of warp ships.
    did a lil bit more work...... don't really know what to think when it comes to the still unfinished side view...opinions?
    80985.jpg
  • Kmpr´rakKmpr´rak171 Posts: 12Member
    Good look, but I think the pylons are to small!
  • joelcannjoelcann0 Posts: 0Member
    very interesting approach...I like your thought process in this design.
    Ok, so I guess I'm gonna call this done for now. I'm thinking about making a Romulan War version of this class. So for now, I consider this the 2155 model. My rommie war version would be more like 2158. I'm thinking about trying to maybe bridge the gap between the enterprise era ships and 2233 by adding a few little details found on the Kelvin. I figure the CIWS like pulse phasers found on the Kelvin are a weapon system developed during the Romulan War for shooting down incoming Romulan missiles that was in the process of finally being phased out around the time of the Kelvin. Also, I think the viewscreen being an actual window was also brought about during the war. Perhaps to counter the use of jaming devices used by the Romulans to mess with starfleet sensors, and by doing so, rendering the viewscreen useless. Much like the Enterprise and the Reliant in the Mutara Nebula. With a window, the conn officer would atleast have an idea what the ship was heding towards and not be totally blind. Again, this idea was probably in the process of being phased out around the time of the Kelvin. But, being that the Kelvin was destroyed by Romulans, maybe Starfleet, fearing new Romulan agression, kept that perticular design trait in use, hence the window on the bridge of the Abramsprise. The only other thing i would add to the 2158 model would be armored nacelles. Maybe even having the foward part resembling that of the Kelvin's. With the actually bussard collector tucked away, making a much less tempting target. So yeah, lots of ideas. I only wish I had 3D modeling skills and didnt have to try and plot this out using crappy MS paint.
    81058.jpg
    Did a little bit of work on my idea.
    81065.jpg
    A little more work on my idea. Note the Kelvin styled bridge, Kelvin like Bussad collectors, and pulse cannon CIWS hatches......like the Kelvin. You can see what i'm going for.
    81108.jpg
    Thanks for the views and replies. I did one more version, which im calling the Saratoga NY-16. I figure this one would have come out around 2160 at a time when the Romulan war was going badly and Starfleet needed evry ship they could get. So they have a heavily striped down version on the NY Class. Which would pretty much be a armoured weapons platform with Nacelles. you will note the very flat hull.....not unlike the Kelvin's. Plus I added more hatches for what I'm calling CIWS Plasma Cannons. And also, I added a few weapon ports, not unlike the Kelvin's beam phasers. So yeah..... as you can tell, im very pissed Enterprise was cancelled and we got no onscreen views of the Romulan war. oh well, we always got the books.
    81186.jpg
  • IronscytheIronscythe0 Posts: 0Member
    I like how you're drawing a connection between the NX-class and the early-mid 23rd century ships seen in STXI, but I think you're doing it too quickly. If my guess is correct and the NY-class is comparable in size to the NX-class, then the thin disc look of the Saratoga isn't really possible. The ship is just too small to trim down like that. I also think the capped-off colorless nacelle tips aren't working. The Kelvin and its subsequent kitbashes are a good deal larger than the NX-class, and their systems are about 70 years more advanced.

I think maybe the Saratoga design should be further along than 2160. Like, say, those few surviving NY-class ships by the early 2200s might look like that.
    I'm kinda thinking the Kelvin was a rather old ship by the time of her destruction judging from the fairly warn look of her hull and interior set pieces. Plus I seem to recall the writers mentioning that the kelvin was supposed to be an older ship. So if she was launched 30 years before her destruction (2203), then that would put her design as being only about 50 years beyond that of the launch of the NX class. I'm also aware of her rather large size, but to me that has no baring on the issue as I have no problem believing that the combined recources of Earth, Vulcan, Andoria, and Tellar, could produce ships of such size. Especially when a Vulcan D'Kyr class starship appeared to be rather huge when compared to other ships of its era. As for the other kitbashes appearing similar to the Kelvin.....well, i Dunno. We never really saw any all that close up so its my hope that if we ever were to see one close up that it would have different details. Considering the differences in registry numbers, those kitbashes should be much much newer then the Kelvin and far closer to the Enterprise. I am also aware of how small and cramped the Saratoga would be, thats the idea. She would be striiped down to only what would be needed for a small crew in a combat situation. While ships eventually get bigger and more advanced, They maintain that same flat and bare look........hence the Kelvin looking as it did.
  • Fre'dniFre'dni0 Posts: 0Member
    An interesting idea, is that if starfleet was really needing to put combat ships into service fast, due to the Romulan war, perhaps this would be a good idea for a ship without the saucer. The shipyards could build the other components fast, and also explain the beginning of the battle bridge, for purely offensive starships. When the war was hopefully over, saucer sections could be built to reattach to the secondary hull
    Finished with one last version from about 10 years into the life of the UFP. The NY class would be renamed Lexington class and would have undergone one last MAJOR refit which included the addition of a secondary hull. With the addition of technology from the other founding worlds, the Lexington class would be bumped up big time it terms capabilities, becoming one of the Federations 1st frontline cruisers/explorers.

Just for the sake of it, I made up a little scale chart showing the NY class in its various configurations when compared to the Kelvin and the new Enterprise. the scales are about right as far as I can guess, with the Kelvin coming in at about 450m, the Enterprise at 725m, and the NY hovering around 225m. Credit to SURICATA for his Kelvin and Enterprise.
    81345.jpg81346.jpg
  • HellsgateHellsgate0 Posts: 8Member
    I'd like to see the Lexington with the nacelles and pylons in the "up" position, unless there's an overhead Miranda/Nebula type module for this design.
  • IronscytheIronscythe0 Posts: 0Member
    It's been established multiple times over that the new Enterprise is no longer than 366 meters. See here for some of those reasons. And no, the Kelvin is not 450m long, either. Where you got that number, I have no idea.
  • EndeavourEndeavour331 Posts: 0Member
    You know, Ex Astris Scientia's article about the new Enterprise really isn't the best source to use. Bernd Schneider is heavily biased against both the new movie and the new Enterprise, so it isn't really an appropriately impartial examination of the evidence, and some of his points are really pushing the envelope of believability.

No, it has not been established "multiple times over" that the new Enterprise is only 366 meters in length, there really is not yet an official size, aside from the 725 meter figure given on the Gizmodo blog.

Let Rod (and everyone else) decide what sizes he wants to use until and unless any official information about the new ships from Star Trek becomes available. Starting yet another argument about how big the Enterprise is would be asinine.

Overall the NY is looking really good, I like your progression during the Romulan War. I don't think it would really be worth it to see it with nacelles inverted from their present position, that would simply look like the NX with a few details changed.
    Thank you very much Endeavour for the kind words. As for the size of the new Enterprise, I'm forced to disagree with pretty much everything Schneider has had to say on the subject. To me, everything except maybe the sceene at the construction yard points to the Enterprise being a hell of a lot larger then 366m. I recently went to the trouble of even proving that case to myself by modifying that pic of the new Enterprise by SURICATA so that it was exactly 2379 pixels in lenght. In other words, 2,379 feet or 725 meters. And to me, everything fits with what i saw in the new movie. The shuttlebay, docking hatches, bridge viewscreen. It all works. So atleast for myself, the debate is over. The new Enterprise is 725m.
    81445.jpg
  • Fre'dniFre'dni0 Posts: 0Member
    Blah, with the griping about the ship's scales just remember. Even though its a new reality, the Enterprise in the new movie would have been the same dimensions as in TOS. With a better look, since TOS did not have either CGI, or a nice budget. With Spock, and the crazed Romulan going back in time,the reality's time line diverged at that instant, so anything in its past was still canon. So the Enterprise is still a Constitution class heavy cruiser, but with a snazzier look. Since the Kelvin was purely a science ship, it could have been the same size, with just a odd placement of warp nacelles,(1).
  • MorethanmostMorethanmost0 Posts: 0Member
    Oh, isn't she gorgeous. Serious wish I could draw like that. Love it.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    I love your take on the saratoga--lean and mean.
    Thanks. I'm rather fond of that one myself. Also, I have a little bit of an update on my Romulan War fleet. I added a new small Raider to my fleet. And yes it pretty much is what it looks like... i figured there is no reason why the Maquis raider's seen in TNG, DS9 and Voy couldn't have been tired old ships left over from so many years before and upgraded to somewhat current levels of technology. At the time of the war they would have been equiped with a warp drive no better then say 2.5. fast enough that they can get around systems just fine and patrol their old little regions of space. To get them way out, where it would take far to long at warp 2.5, I'm workin on the idea of them sort of piggy backing on war time modified ECS freighters. Think of a Y-Class, with an upgraded engine, converted into a military transport, With 3 Raiders tucked under its central spine, between the cargo containers. With the wings folded, 3 would fit very nicely. Also, I'll throw in a preview of another ship i just started workin on that is no where near finished. I think of it as being sort of a battleship, or more like some kind of heavy command cruiser.......still workin it all out in my head.
    83505.jpg83506.jpg
    And the battleship/Command Cruiser, or whatever it is. open to suggestions. I think of it as sort of being the constellation of its day.
    83507.jpg
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Wow I don't know why I didn't visit this thread more ofthen - it's all extremely impressive ! :thumb: I actually like the pixel images a lot and the designs itself are very nice as well. The Hornet is my favourite of them all probably :D As for the new ship, it looks really good although the flat-edged saucer seems a bit too bulky.
    Thanks a lot! Gotta say, I've been veiwing your stuff for some time and i gotta say I'm a fan. So praise from you is much appreciate. I'm especially fond of what you have done with some of Flankers work. And yeah, the Hornet is one of my favorites too, tho I'm also oddly proud of my High Warp Interceptor. About the new ship, thanks for the opinion. I agree on the saucer. I plan on workin on the edges soon. Again, thanks for the kind words and I hope to hear more from ya on my coming updates.
    Update on what I have decided to be a Command Cruiser. Still have a long way to go before I'm done this thing. Thinking about calling it the Forrest CC-01. After Admiral Maxwell Forrest or course.
    83610.jpg