Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DExecutive Shuttle

carlgcarlg1 Posts: 0Member
edited May 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Just something I was messing around with; I felt like starting on something curvier and not so greeble-y :)

56074558.jpg

18912582.jpg

A cute little shuttle that showed up for about 5 seconds in Star Trek VI. I thought it needed more love. Too bad there's like only 2 lousy reference pics floating around for it. Ah well. Improvising time! :p

I must say, I was surprised how tought it was to get the outer shell even semi-right. Those curves where the side raises up from the main body at the back? ARRRGH.
It still doesn't look 100% (from what I gather, it's supposed to look like a sort of tapered galaxy-class nacelle with a farily sharply-defined hole punched in the back for the inner sides and the back windows), but I'm sacred to mess with it cause the sides are pretty spot-on, as far as I can tell.
80808.jpg
Post edited by carlg on
side.jpg 201.1K
Tagged:

• MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Nice start!

Since you're talking about "lousy reference pics", you might not have these:

2yvtjys.jpg

eziold.jpg

25yyr77.jpg

Also, search for "USS Jenolan", the shuttle's model was altered quite heavily, but its still recognizeable and there are a number of pictures of it.

Looking forward to more :)
  • RekkertRekkert4070 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,307Member
    I always loved this shuttle, looking forward for more!
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    excellent, I've always liked this one too
  • ChanurChanur191 53.33° N / 10.00° EPosts: 305Member
    Excellent is the right word :)
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    I always liked this shuttle design. It will be great to see it modeled.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    sweet, I loved that shuttle much.
    Nice work.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    It does seem to harken back to the original Galileo & in its lines. I wonder if you might modify it further, with nacelles in a more conventional location. You may remember the nacelle design of the shuttle Picard and Worf use to dock with Data's mini-Defiant in Insurrection (Avatar anyone?)

You might want to place its nacelle pylon set up to join with your shuttle design.
  • japetusjapetus2957 SeattlePosts: 1,399Member
    Cool! I've always liked the design of this shuttle too. Love the way the sides of the hull really seem to grip everything in between. I always like the smaller craft a lot. Something about having it be more of a relatable size is fun to see. Good luck!
  • carlgcarlg1 Posts: 0Member
    Ahh, so this little guy does have fans after all! :D

Melak: Thanks, but those were the pics I had already.

Re-did the outer shell; now it looks much better in the back where it surrounds the rear windows.

57697969.jpg

Also cut out the front windows, and added the details for the top side and wings.

91000385.jpg

28059377.jpg
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    oooh, nice update! :)
  • RekkertRekkert4070 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,307Member
    Looking great!
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • ChanurChanur191 53.33° N / 10.00° EPosts: 305Member
    Grrrrreat!! :)
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice indeed!

Those are windows back there? I always just assumed that was the impulse engine.
    Just a little update -- set up the bottom base and added some nose detail.

And you were absolutely right, Melak -- there's one more lonely little photo of this shuttle on ex astra that shows the back vents lit up. Made the vents deeper so they look less window-y. :)

44733803.jpg

28847820.jpg

44650915.jpg

It's more work than it looks, actually. Don't you just hate it when you try to make something 9 different wrong ways, and the 10th is the right way to do it, and you're like "How did I miss that 9 times?!" :p

publiusr: I think I'm going to go with the original design. It it the executive shuttle, after all ;); I imagine the design is supposed to have a little more swank to it than your average starfleet ship, so all the guts of the ship are hidden from view by the elegant curves of the side hulls.

Speaking of extra swank, I found pics of this gorgeous luxury helicopter that might be an interesting starting point for the interior.
    http://www.luxurylaunches.com/transport/mercedesbenz_style_ec145_luxury_helicopter_takes_off.php
    Added more details on the bottom.

72959006.jpg
  • commandersozocommandersozo492 Posts: 628Member
    great work. will you provide orthos, when the project goes final?
    Sure, I guess so. To be honest though, I always thought orthos were the absolute least interesting way to show off your work. I've never really understood the interest in them...