Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DATST From Empire

GadzooksGadzooks171 Posts: 0Member
edited May 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Would love to have some feed back on this. Trying to keep as close to ILM's model as i can. So after several evenings of modeling here is where I am at.

p.s. Can someone tell me how to add a thumbnail to this post, cant seem to figure it out?

23.JPG
25.JPG
26.JPG
29.JPG
43.JPG
44.JPG
47.JPG
48.JPG
49.JPG
Post edited by Gadzooks on
Tagged:

• AardwolfAardwolf171 Posts: 82Member
    It looks pretty cool, although I have no idea how accurate it is.

To add a thumbnail, edit the first post and add the image as an attachment. Typically it should be about the size of the thumbnails the site uses (150 on a side, I think).
  • madmattmadmatt0 Posts: 0Member
    What program are you using for modeling?

Great model so far, I love the details you put on it, are you using a real maquette reference?

Bye
  • GadzooksGadzooks171 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks guys. As far as reference it's just images found on the internet. Im using Modo
    Started Work on the Leg Assembly. Here is where I'm at so far.

67.JPG
    68.JPG
    69.JPG
    70.JPG
    71.JPG
  • ChanurChanur191 53.33° N / 10.00° EPosts: 305Member
    Awesome work so far!!! I like it :)
  • kippakippa0 Posts: 0Member
    So far it looks very good indeed, I like it. What 3d package are you using to model it?
    Thanks guys. I'm using Modo.
    Almost done with the leg and foot.

98.JPG
    99.JPG
    100.JPG
    101.JPG
    102.JPG
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771265 PNWPosts: 758Member
    Are the legs supposed to be that thin and stocky? It seems like with all the weight at the top that the struts would bend and the hinges break.
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
  • DCBDCB331 Posts: 0Member
    Looking good. You might want to send stonky a PM and ask if he has any reference material he can share, as his AT-ST was pretty good.
    I have seen his Avatar before and it does look good. I will PM him and see thanks.
  • stonkystonky350 Posts: 489Member
    Hey look, it's my name! :) I see that you're building the ESB version with the longer, thinner legs. Good luck, as there isn't much reference available. Here are a couple of the images that I could turn up (you probably have these):

http://www.theforce.net/swtc/Pix/books/swtj/atstswtj1.gif
    http://www.theforce.net/swtc/Pix/books/swtj/atstswtj2.gif

The ESB version has been gaining some popularity on the RPF recently (due in part to it's relative obscurity) and some of the members have been putting together their own scratchbuilds using many of the original donor kits, ie:

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=74608&page=2

If you're interested in the ROTJ version at all (upon which mine was based), I can point you to a link or two. Here's the larger model from ROTJ:

http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=7403
    http://www.stormtrooperguy.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=159
    http://www.forbiddenplastic.com/ref_star_wars/ref_sw_mos_atst.html

The large model was used mostly for the destruction scenes, etc. The smaller go-motion version is the one that we most often see walking through the forest, you can find pics of both the smaller and larger models here:

http://www.killbyte.da.ru/

I poured over whatever reference material that I could get my hands on, including images of the original donor kit parts. I spent a lot of time trying to get the hear proportions right as well, knowing that the head was going to make or break the effort. It's been a lot of fun though, and I'm happy that I decided to tackle it - good luck with yours, looking good so far! How dedicated are you to matching the filming model? Who cares? Pretty close? Exact match?

Hope this helps!
    I have been a life long Star Wars fan ever since 1977 when i was 10 years old, im 43 now. And i had no idea that the ATST from empire was different from Jedi. I feel quiet embarrassed that I didn't know that. :) Any way what are the main difference between the two? Is it just the legs? Stonky thanks for responding to my PM and the links you supplied, some of those i had not seen. Any chance to see some images of yours? The link to the ATST under you're current wips is broken. As far as matching I would say Pretty close is what im shooting for, Any way thanks everyone , more updates coming soon. Gadzooks
    It would take less time to go over what they have in common rather than how they are different. :) The ESB version has much thinner and longer legs with a smaller, sleaker head than the ROTJ version. They share some of the kitbashed details, but that's all. Yeah, I think that my at-st thread is gone for good, I can't seem to find it, and I can't seem to locate many images quickly (I'll have to render a few). Here's a few images that I was able to dig up around the net, but this doesn't represent it's current state of completion:

attachment.php?attachmentid=81302&stc=1&d=1272550682

attachment.php?attachmentid=81303&stc=1&d=1272550692

attachment.php?attachmentid=81304&stc=1&d=1272550705

Hope this helps!
    Very nice model Stonky. You know I have to say that I like the ROTJ ATST better, the legs do fit the vehicle better. So based off the links you provided i started to update my model to reflect some things I had missed, or had wrong. Mine will probably not be an exact match but it will pretty close. Thanks for digging those images up. Will post some updates tonight. Gadzooks
    Ok, based off new reference images i have added and fixed several items. The work Continues............

atst_1.JPG
    atst_2.jpg
    atst_3.jpg
    atst_4.JPG
    atst_5.JPG
  • TerranCmdrTerranCmdr0 Posts: 0Member
    Great work! I love the detail shots with DOF.
    Good stuff!

I don't know if this is useful at all, but I was able to dig up this little rigging demostration quicktime that I put together some time ago:

[video]http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=81332&stc=1&d=1272639746[/video]
    Phil Tippet would be proud of that walk cycle!:) No seriously, it damn near looks spot on. And very informative because I may have a go at rigging this in modo. One draw back is, I don't crap about rigging. Oh well no time like the present to learn. Thanks for doing that. Gadzooks
    Modeling is done except for some little thingamajigs. The daunting task of UVing everything and making textures is next.

Desktop.jpg
    Great result!!!
    So after seeing action on Hoth and then shipped all the way across the universe to Endor this thing has seen better day's
    But I what to know is the weatering too much or does it need more. or does it even look good at all. feed back would be most appreciated.

Texture_1.jpg
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771265 PNWPosts: 758Member
    Weathering looks fine to me.
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    To me both filming models represent two distinct versions of the at-st. The one shown at Endor was more "general purpose" than the ESB version which had been moddified for cold icy terrain.

That being said the modeling work is great..but your texture work is Outstanding. Please continue.
    Textures seems to be very good so far, maybe in the lower front panel part there's too much creepy dirt...

Sorry for my bad english i can't expalin but there's a part that make the panel seems like a dirty wall, for the metal "dirt" scratches probably you might work in the borders...

Bye
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Well considering that it's Star Wars universe, I'd say the weathering looks perfect. The model itself is outstanding as well, keep it up ! :thumb:
    Great observations guy's exactly what I needed to hear. Will have more to post in a couple of day's. Gadzooks
    I started modeling this thing not knowing it was empires 30th birthday this month! I remember going and seeing this in the cinema. Anyway, here is where I'm at on materials, as always let me know.

MatStart_2.jpg
    Really Better!!! Keep to post...

Bye
  • ChanurChanur191 53.33° N / 10.00° EPosts: 305Member
    this looks really good, all thumbs up :)