Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DEastern Alliance Destroyer - Schematics

137th Gebirg137th Gebirg332 Posts: 0Member
edited June 2010 in Finished Work #1
Hey all! I managed to find some extra spare time in between other tasks to knock this one out. Hopefully, it will meet with everyone's approval. I did some major tweaking here and there to get everything to line up correctly. Damn perspective distortion kills me every time I do one of these, but I think I did a serviceable job. Also fixed the engines so that they're proper Saturn V nozzles, instead of the simple, more generic look that I started with. Gonna take a break now... :)
80181.jpg
Post edited by 137th Gebirg on
caveat_imperator

• Halo BuffHalo Buff331 Posts: 0Member
    That's one wicked looking ship, nice work!
  • bagera4000bagera4000251 Posts: 1,516Member
    sweet
  • J.WildeJ.Wilde0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice job on the ship. Was it actually green? I seem to recall it being the usual spaceship grey, but I could be mistaken. A more colorful approach is more interesting in any event.
  • 137th Gebirg137th Gebirg332 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks much, all!

The gray look actually came from a combination of poor lighting, less-than-high-quality film stock and the usual rush of a tight deadline making post-production color correction quite difficult. They were notoriously bad about producing coloring errors during the compositing process (like the occasional unintentional appearances of gold "command" Cylon Raiders). The episodes featuring the EA Destroyer were towards the end of the show's run and, as I recall, they just didn't have any more budget to do it right. The ship itself is actually a re-do of one of the original rag-tag fleet ships, as they could not have built anything new from scratch at the time.

In any case, yes, it is an olive-drab green. The underside has some airbrushing of tans, browns and other earth tones with some mottled weathering and such. There are some great reference pics of it here which I found invaluable for the completion of this project.

Thanks again!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Now for your next ship....

After the break of course.

Breaks over;)
    Heh...at least a couple days...
    The next project will be the Cylon A/B Raider from G:1980. Probably the only good thing that came out of that show. :)

Once I'm done with that, the TOS Colonial Shuttle (Mk I)
  • RonPadaRonPada0 Posts: 0Member
    Looking forward to seeing both!
    After that the delta ship...
    Delta ship?
    Excuse me. The Triangle ship. www.modelermagic.com/?p=20171

Hope that helps.
    AH! Ok - now I know which one you're referring to. I might tackle that one at a later time, but I'm definitely going to need more source material to do something like that. Fortunately, it doesn't look quite as detailed as other projects I worked on, but it also doesn't look quite complete yet. I'll be watching that page closely to see where they're at with it.
    It looks to a be a nice little ship. I don't think that it was anything other than a private yacht.

Lets back up a moment.

To the start of Human-Cylon war.

By all the resources I have found to date(not many), my understanding is that the Colonies went to the aid of an ally. May one fleet was sent, maybe two, I don't know. But they ran into a problem. While the early ships of the time were more than a match for what the Cylons had, they Cylons had more numbers. What this meant of course is that the Fleet(s) were wipped out in a couple of yahren. The Cylons didn't care how many of them had to be destroyed to in order accomplish their goals.

The initial impact(battles) after that by the main fleets of the Colonies would have been something to see. The Cylons expecting one thing, and found another. This would have disturbed the colonies greatly. First a "minor action"(only one of two fleet(s) and then something that wasn't stopped so easily. What I figure is that it would have taken awhile for the colonists to realize just how desprite their situation was. This I figure would take about 100 or so yahren.

The reason? People grow tired of war. This would have set in within five to ten yahren after the initial impact. But thre was no stopping it. Any attempt to stop met with failure. Great fialure in some cases.

In other words the war would have destablized the colonies. In all aspects. Then there would be a recovery period. During this recory period, things would try to get back to normal. But not yet.

The major problem being the loss of so many young men from each genration. Men? Only? Initially, yes young women would have been used aswell depending upon the culture of each of the colonies. But there is one thing that young women do that young men can not.

I put it to you the reader, to think of how just messed up the colonies would have been in that first century of war.

But things stablize.

This means that commercial interest would reinvent themselves at some point. Private yachts would come back into existence. Redesigned for the environment. Which is war.
    Oh, man! Beautiful! Anybody know what weapons the destroyer carried?
    Well I have been looking her over. At least one spinal mount. Maybe three or secondaries. Not counting nukes.

Spinal mounts for those who don't know require the ship to be built around them. They are the reason for the ship's existance. The spinal mount inthis case seems to be on the bottom, between the lower engine intakes and forward. But behind the forward landing gear. The others may be underneath the chin...

But some sort of indirect fire weapon should be included as well(nukes).
    Based on what I could tell when I put this together, there seems to be four forward-mounted cannons under the cockpit. No idea if they are energy weapons or slug throwers, though. Possibly rail guns, as there are large coils set to the rear of the tubes - likely magnetic accelerators if I were to hazard a guess. And yes, there does seem to be some other larger apparatus in the belly that could serve as missile launchers. I suspect this vessel would also likely have a mine-laying capability to enforce planetary blockades, if necessary. But they are clearly meant for speed and fast interception. This beast is about 75% engine, 25% everything else, which means its mass-to-power-utilization ratio would potentially be off the charts compared to Colonial tech.
    Thinking more about her, she needs something like a set of five inch guns - destroyers, at least U. S. destroyers of the WW II era, had five inchers, nothing bigger.

But how would this paly out for this ship?

Answer: My idea of a spinal mount still applies, as long as its firepower is equal to the set of five inchers on a destroyer. Keeping in mind that a WW II five inch gun could be fired something like 20 times a minute, and with six twin mounts folded into the this ship, I am talking about 120 rounds per minute.
    Well I did notice little oval portals across the main neck of the ship. Instead of being windows, perhaps they were buttoned-up openings for smaller side guns like your five inchers.
    Five inchers is by way analogy only. And on a destroyer they aren't small.

But by having a belly mounted spinal mount(single) that can rapid fire...

I think it would mess up a Cylon basestar with ease...

Where as a Viper with its 30 mm would need neumorus shots over and above that coming from multiple Vipers to do anything to a Cylon base star.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,567Member
    AH! Ok - now I know which one you're referring to. I might tackle that one at a later time, but I'm definitely going to need more source material to do something like that. Fortunately, it doesn't look quite as detailed as other projects I worked on, but it also doesn't look quite complete yet. I'll be watching that page closely to see where they're at with it.

I have a bit of source material from Andy Probert himself, if you're interested.
    ^^^ I'm interested, but I can't take on any new projects at this time. My new work schedule has me completely hosed and I have a bit of a backlog of other responsibilities right now. I am hoping that things will start calming down towards the end of the year.